Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very nervous about 2 weeks liquid diet.

Hi,

Just received aetna approval following a 6 month required diet and meetings with a nutritionist. So, my journey so far has left me down 65 lbs! I'm very excited but VERY nervous about this 2 week pre op diet. I'm looking for any suggestions or thoughts that will help me get through this. Thanks!!

Edited by Mariggle

I just got my surgery date this morning for Dec. 22nd so i hav to start the all liquid diet on the 8th and Im pretty worried about it too. Just ordered some unflavored Isopure for cheap on vitacost.com. Figured if nothing else issing that in different sups and juices will make it more tolerable

So - what is making you both nervous/worried, etc? It would help if we knew specific concerns.

You'll both get through it - those who need to, do. It won't be the most fun you've ever had, but it's just part in the path that gets you to your surgery day. You can do it!

@@Mariggle and @@Lura Dean and whomever else comes along,

Choose one or more of the following. Repeat as needed:

1) "Grow up."

2) "Two weeks out of a lifetime and I'm 'nervous?' 'Worried?'"

3) "I can do anything for two weeks."

Hi 2Goldengirl,

Sorry I was not clear on why I am nervous. I've read a lot of post regarding the 2 week pre op liquid diet and so many people have claimed they have cheated.....they just get way to hungry. During the last 6 moths of my diet I have had nights where I was awaken by my stomach growling and near nausea from being hungry. I DO NOT want to fail this 2 week liquid diet, and am looking for tips and suggestions from anyone who has dealt with the 2 week liquid diet. So I guess I'm nervous about failing.

WLSResources/ClothingExch,

I think being a little worried and seeking advise and recommendations IS being grown up. Yes, I am continue to tell myself "You can do anything for 2 weeks" and am keeping a positive attitude. Just thought there someone who was worried and been through this may have some insightful words or recommendations.

Edited by Mariggle

Hi 2Goldengirl,

Sorry I was not clear on why I am nervous. I've read a lot of post regarding the 2 week pre op liquid diet and so many people have claimed they have cheated.....they just get way to hungry. During the last 6 moths of my diet I have had nights where I was awaken by my stomach growling and near nausea from being hungry. I DO NOT want to fail this 2 week liquid diet, and am looking for tips and suggestions from anyone who has dealt with the 2 week liquid diet. So I guess I'm nervous about failing.

OK, that helps. First, nobody ever wrecked their surgery because they had a slip on their preop diet. Surgeons and their offices sometimes stretch the truth in order to impress upon patients that the prep is serious business, but to be honest, they can't tell whether you fell off the wagon, so to speak, on your preop requirements.

That said, remember that just because someone else slips up doesn't mean you will. If you get hungry on the preop liquids, it will probably be in the first three days. After that, veterans say it's easier. If you're hungry, have some Protein. Even if you have an egg or some cottage cheese, you will still be using up your liver glycogen (which makes it easier to move your liver out of the way to get to your stomach) and you will not be adding bulk to your colon (the other reason for liquids is to help empty the bowel). That's not an open invitation to break pre-op protocol, just a little "in-case" scenario that may help you.

And the next thing to be aware of is: if your surgeon hasn't told you what your preop requirements are, you may not even have to worry about this. Not every surgeon requires it. Mine doesn't. For any of these concerns, step #1 is always: Ask your surgeon. Remember who is working for who here. Your surgeon is getting paid to take care of you, not the other way around. That means you have the right to expect to have your questions answered and concerns addressed.

I hope this helps!

Edited by 2goldengirl

The liquid diet is not the most fun. BUT...it is for a cause...a good cause. You cannot really "fail" the 2 week liquid diet. The shrinking of your liver just helps the surgeon navigate better.

I had a baby 6 weeks before I had my sleeve done. I was breast feeding and I was always hungry. I cheated a few times. My surgeon mentioned that my liver wasn't as small as he had hoped, but I had no complications.

The first few days are the worst. By day 3, it was much easier for me. Also, if you are tempted to eat/drink more than you are told, make sure it is healthy, such as an extra shake.

We'll get through it. Kinda bums me that some people only have to do a few days and others have to do 2 weeks!

Edited by Lura Dean

Hi Lura Dean,

Yes, I find that frustrating too! And your right.....we will get through this. One more step of learning how to change eating habits.

Hi!

I am halfway through my 4th day! I now know I've got this! It's proven true for me PayItForward, after day 3 I'm feeling much better than the first couple of day. I did have a headache which FINALLY went away this morning, my stomach feels fine and I'm NOT hungry! :) Feeling just fine!! Now anxiously awaiting for 12/15 to get here! :D

Hey just got surgery 2 days ago and I'm on day 1 of Protein Shake diet. Also came home today. It's not bad cuz u literally can't fit anything else. Drink very slowly! Of course I WANT other things but I also don't want complications n I'll be happy with the results later on don't be nervous bout 2 week diet hopefully it'll flyby for the both of us!!

Hey just got surgery 2 days ago and I'm on day 1 of Protein Shake diet. Also came home today. It's not bad cuz u literally can't fit anything else. Drink very slowly! Of course I WANT other things but I also don't want complications n I'll be happy with the results later on don't be nervous bout 2 week diet hopefully it'll flyby for the both of us!!

my surgery was 12/2. I've been trying so hard to get in my Protein and Water today and I feel like nothing else will fit! I have lots of air bubbles in my chest. I've been sipping all day and have only been able to get down 14 oz of water and about 20g protein ???? and it literally took me allllll day.