Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much can you eat at one meal at 2 months after RNY

I was eating 1/2 cup of food per-meal from 2 weeks to 6 weeks post RNY Surgery. I'm now eating at 7 1/2 weeks post surgery, 2/3 cup at a time. My nut. wants me to be eating 1 cup of food per meal by my 3 month appt. Does this sound right? I thought I wouldn't be at that point not until about 6 months. Curious as to what other's eating amounts is during a meal.

Well I am just over 12 weeks out. It depends on what I am eating and what time of day. Breakfast is one egg and 1/4 cup of tuna and I can eat half then 1 hour later the other half. lunch I can have 1/2 cup yogurt with Protein Powder and I am comfortably full. dinner is normally 3.5 ounces of protein(chicken,fish) and about 2 tablespoons of veggies. No way could I do one cup of anything right now not even creamy soup!

@@Threetimesacharm I think I could probably eat more but i just stop at that amount. This kinda scares me because it seems like everyone has such a hard time with their amounts & I haven't struggled with anything. meat is the only thing that I can only eat so much of 1/2 c, although I haven't tried beyond 2/3 cup on soft foods.

This may sound odd but I think I can eat less now than I did at 8 weeks. Maybe my stomach is now fully healed and my portion size is set.

I am about 2 months out (Oct. 1st) and I've been sticking to 1/2 cup mostly. Lately I've been going a tad over 1/2 cup. I'm sure I could also eat 3/4 cup no problem. According to my doc/nut I'm suppose to work up to between 3/4 and 1 cup by the time I'm 6 months out. I've never experienced an "I can't eat another bite" feeling. I just make sure to limit myself. Generally I eat 3 small meals a day and have one premier Protein drink. Sometimes when I'm up early and go to bed late, I have a 4th small meal in the late evening. I've never dumped, and have been introucing lots of new foods (fruits and veggies) in the past couple weeks while still making sure to get in my daily Protein goal.

My opinion, you are perfectly normal. There is so much variation between patients, thus there is no standard/normal experience. I've had the same worries (i.e. could my pouch be too big) but the way I see it, it is better than the alternative of never being able to eat and constantly dumping.

@@goblue9280 Thank you, your diet sounds just like mine except that I'm eating 2/3 c. I think thats what I will stick with for awhile since it seems to be working! I appreciate the feed back!

I am now about 2-1/2 months out from my surgery, and I am eating about 1/2 cup of food at a meal. If I go over that, up it comes. I generally have a Protein shake for breakfast (I'm used to that, been doing it for years), a rolled-up slice of deli ham and cheese with 6 Kalmata olives for lunch, and a small dinner (tonight I had two Swedish meatballs with a couple of broccoli florets). Finally, I have a cup of sugar free diet cocoa with a scoop of chocolate Protein Powder for dessert. I am generally in the neighborhood of 500-600 calories a day.

The only thing in my diet that varies day to day is my dinner, everything else is exactly the same every day. I know it sounds boring, but I find it really convenient.

@@toasty Thank you for the feed back, nothing has come back up for me yet, but I think I will stay at 2/3 cup for a while before i move on to more. I have a Protein Shake for breakfast too which I have always done. I seem to do better with 1 snack a day in the afternoon of a low fat mozzarella string cheese.< /p>