Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you working on Pre-op?

I'm preop, don't have a surgery date yet.

I decided it would be a good idea to establish some new habits well before surgery, and have been working on just two so far: Logging everything I eat/drink (I use Sparkpeople), and to stop eating before I get overfull.

I've kept up with the logging since Oct. 21, except for two days. Occasionally I've had to go back and fill in from the day after, but I've done it. Previously, if I had a day where I made choices I wasn't happy with, I'd find a reason to avoid tracking those. I haven't done that this time. I guess as best I can even when I've gone out to eat or eat something I can't find in the database. The stopping before I get overfull has been interesting - I'm amazed at how little it takes, and that's before any surgery. Sometimes I do get hungry again within a couple hours, but I've had a real habit of keeping on eating just because something tastes good.

I think in the coming month I'm going to add making a note when/if I eat when I'm not truly hungry. There will be a lot of food around this month, especially at the office.

The interesting thing is, I've lost 5-1/2 lbs., and that wasn't my focus.

Does anybody else have preop habits or goals?

I saw my nutritionist once a month and we set a goal to accomplish for that month. The first was to give up coffee. Not everyone has to do that but the way that I like my coffee comes close to 300 calories! That was a tough one since I was drinking 2 a day. I switched to tea instead.

Others were to switch to low fat cheese (2% American cheese tastes better than the regular kind!), cut way down on starchy foods, go for walks on my days off, and practicing chewing well and waiting to drink after eating.

I'm pretty proud of myself, really!

preop I was trying to train myself to eat more slowly and take smaller bites and chew longer.

I am over two months post op and still have problems sometimes with eating too fast

This is what I did.

Start making good food choices. Eat like you will have to after surgery, not necessarily that small a portion but definitely smaller portions.

Chew chew chew.

Drink lots of Water but not 15 mins before or 30 mins after meal.

Eat 4-5 small meals a day

Ween yourself off sugar and carbonated beverages

Start walking more.

First thing I did was ween myself off coffee. I knew I had to give up caffeine and from past experience, I didn't want to go through it on top of recovering from the surgery and all the other adjustments. Sounds silly, but I suffer from at least two weeks of a bad head ache when I quit coffee. Next, I started researching for a good nutrition supplement plan for post surgery. I have a lot of food allergies with artificial sweeteners being a big one. I wanted to find high quality Vitamins in powder or liquid form that didn't have additives that I could mix into Protein smoothies I will make myself. I finally found a great multi, a Calcium complex and plain whey all in powder form. They have no added sweeteners or flavors. I have made smoothies with them and they are delicious. Now, my pre op diet doesn't begin until Dec. 10th, so I have been making the most of my last few weeks of diet freedom and been enjoying whatever I want (except coffee)....my last hurrah, guilt free! Crazy, huh? Yes, I have gained a couple more pounds...Dec. 17th will be the real beginning of my new life!

I was going to suggest weaning off of caffeine if you need to get off it. Many people experience bad headaches early in pre op diet. I feel most of it is caffeine.

I agree with the above posts. Start going sugar free and low fat. Practice eating slowly. I am 10 days post op and still struggle with that. I really have to work hard to get all my Water and fluids in. Thank goodness for sugar free Popsicles!!

Sounds like you are on the ball. You go man! I'm excited for you.

I start back to work tomorrow. Been off two weeks. Wish me luck!!!!

Good luck to you!!!

Oh ya. I ordered my Vitamins (multi, Calcium, B12 nasal spray) and started taking them three weeks prior to surgery. I do not wanna lose my hair so I take them always. I never took vitamins so I think part of why I did so well after surgery was because I had been taking them. Who knows.

I am getting ready to wean off caffeine. I dread the withdrawals, but it must be done! I'm also learning to take time for me, for taking the time to walk my dog for some exercise and to unwind from the busy wife/mom daily grind. Learning to make myself a priority before surgery is something I hope will be a big key to success :)

Eric, you probably won't get headaches if you take enough time to wean off. I was pretty much weaned. I could tell when I "needed" caffeine and I drank a little coffee. Just enough, not a full cup. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Good luck!!!

Eric@@ash, I called you Eric. I am sorry!!

I'm preop, don't have a surgery date yet.

I decided it would be a good idea to establish some new habits well before surgery, and have been working on just two so far: Logging everything I eat/drink (I use Sparkpeople), and to stop eating before I get overfull.

I've kept up with the logging since Oct. 21, except for two days. Occasionally I've had to go back and fill in from the day after, but I've done it. Previously, if I had a day where I made choices I wasn't happy with, I'd find a reason to avoid tracking those. I haven't done that this time. I guess as best I can even when I've gone out to eat or eat something I can't find in the database. The stopping before I get overfull has been interesting - I'm amazed at how little it takes, and that's before any surgery. Sometimes I do get hungry again within a couple hours, but I've had a real habit of keeping on eating just because something tastes good.

I think in the coming month I'm going to add making a note when/if I eat when I'm not truly hungry. There will be a lot of food around this month, especially at the office.

The interesting thing is, I've lost 5-1/2 lbs., and that wasn't my focus.

Does anybody else have preop habits or goals?

yeah I made a down payment to lock in a sale price, but didn't set a date yet. I'm struggling with coffee and smoking. My two horibble habbits!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I made a down payment to lock in a sale price, but didn't set a date yet. I'm struggling with coffee and smoking. My two horibble habbits!

I'm still in the pre-op phase and, like you, the change I feared the most was quitting smoking. I smoked at least a pack a day for over 20 years. What I suggest is find a really good vape store. The best ones don't sell cigarettes or any smoke accessories and the carry their own e-juices. Buy a box mod set and find a juice that tastes like cigs in the highest nicotine levels. But a small-ish bottle at first and just vape like crazy. Pro tip, buy extra coils, you'll burn through them like crazy. After a week of no cigs, reduce your nicotine levels and work your way toward non-tobacco flavored.

I started at 24ml nicotine and now (3 months later) I'm at 3mg nicotine, vaping a candy flavor and tobacco free for 3 months.

I wasted money buying cheap vape pens and e-cigs in the beginning. I lacked the faith in myself to really invest in a good set up.

You can do this!!! With vape, it really is easy to kick the habit by breaking it in stages. I have no willpower and give up pretty easily. If I can do it, anyone can!

I just reminded myself that there is no point to having surgery to be healthy while slowly killing myself with tobacco.

Thanks for your advice. I actually did just what you suggested. I quit for a few months in the beginning of this year by vaping, so I'm at it again hoping to get the same results, this time sticking to it. We'll see. Have you set a date yet?

These are all great tips and will hopefully motivate me!

I'm pre-op as well- I've got my 3rd of 6 monthly check-ins next week and am just starting to tackle the other pre-op appointments.

I'm very out of shape now but just last year I was in fantastic shape from frequent barre classes. I'm at that place where I haven't worked out in so long and have gained so much I'm scared to go back but I do really want to be more physically fit by the time I go for surgery (likely March or April.)

This is my first post!

I'm 9 days preop (GULP). I've been on my preop diet for two weeks. I gave myself a headstart because I knew I would a stumble at first. I actually did really well, though.

Now, it's for real, and I'm fighting some vicious head hunger. Yesterday was probably the worst day so far, but I'm proud to say I made it through. I used my coping strategies -- drawing and coloring -- to overcome the cravings.

My biggest clothes are already sagging. That's a nice reward for starting my preop diet the day before Thanksgiving and staying focused. ????

I can't believe my surgery is NEXT WEEK! After months of preparation and years of thinking about making this change, it's surreal to be this close. My preop appointment with my surgeon is tomorrow!

Just saw the nutritionist this morning. First step is not drinking while I eat. That's hard for me. Second is chewing much more.