Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do about extended release capsule medications?

I take Effexor XR, an extended release SSRI that comes in a capsule. Directions say never to open the capsule. Only take it whole.

This is NOT a medication that I can skip until I can take pills the withdrawal effects are horrendous, even dangerous.

My surgeon has not offered Any advice or solutions. I don't know where else to turn.

Talk to the psych when you have your eval or talk to your psych you might need to switch meds

I was surprised to find that I am still able to swallow my extended release blood pressure capsule, which is even bigger than a Tylenol caplet. I had to go back on it several weeks ago and I was nervous. But you may just want to try. If you're able to swallow a Tylenol caplet it may give you a reference point.

Your surgeon HAS to work with you on this - don't take "no" for an answer.

Is there a specific reason you need the er can you take regular effexor

The Effexor is prescribed by my General Practioner and he's not sure what to do. Don't have a psyche doc.

I was able to take all my meds just fine after surgery without crushing or breaking them apart. The only one I split was because the dose was half a tablet. Talk to your surgeon if you are unsure about what you can take. My surgeon reviewed all my meds and told me what to take and not take the day of surgery, etc.

I opened my extended release capsule into a teaspoon of apple sauce and swallowed it. Did that for about 8 months then just decided to stop and begun swallowing them whole again.

@@talking mountain - I also took effexor ER capsules. I'm not sure which surgery you had. I had the sleeve. I opened the capsule and poured it into my medicine cup shot glass full of Vitamin Water zero and shot it down the hatch. I would have to take about 2 more shots of vitamin water to get all the little pellets down. It was far from ideal but I had been taking it for years so I think I had a decent level in my system when I started. Not sure if you are pre or post op but I started taking mine right in the hospital. One thing to be aware of though is that one of the side effects of effexor and one of the reasons they put it in a capsule to begin with was because of nausea as a side effect. So I always took the effexor at least 20 minutes after my zofran (anti nausea med) and preferably after I had some Protein Shake, yogurt or other to coat my stomach. After about 8-9 weeks post op I took everything in its original form (capsule in the case of effexor). I stayed on the zofran for about a month. Once I started mushy foods, I just took it after I ate my cottage cheese Breakfast. I hope this helps.

I reiterate what was just said: Have you tried swallowing the pill? Especially since it's in capsule form, I can't imagine why you would have trouble taking it. Capsules go down easy. If Effexor doesn't, I'd try putting it on a teaspoon with a drop or two of oil and dumping the mixture into your mouth. That should make getting the capsule down the hatch..

Extended Release pills are always to be taken whole. You can talk to a pharmacist about it. They are a great source of information.

As with any pill, take it after eating unless directed otherwise.

the Prilosec I took right after surgery was capsule and extended r elease. the doctor said it was perfectly okay to take. but always run by your own doctors

. Not sure if you are pre or post op but I started taking mine right in the hospital. One thing to be aware of though is that one of the side effects of effexor and one of the reasons they put it in a capsule to begin with was because of nausea as a side effect. So I always took the effexor at least 20 minutes after my zofran (anti nausea med) and preferably after I had some Protein shake, yogurt or other to coat my stomach.

Thanks so much! I didn't know that nausea was a potential side effect so that's really good to know. My surgeon doesn't usually send you home w more than a weeks worth of phenergan so I'll know to ask him to include refills in case I need them.

It's reassuring to hear that you managed the XR without the capsule "envelope" without any significant mental side effects. I have inadvertently missed taking mine a few days once, and it rendered me into a complete mess; even when I was clinically depressed, I was never as "depressed" as when I missed a few doses!

My pre op is Def 17 so I'll really push the surgeon for an answer then. Thus far he seems pretty tired and is just gonna NY thru the motions when we've met.

There truly is a danger to opening extended release medication. You can overdose yourself. It is meant to be slowly absorbed as it works its way through your system. When you open it, you can dose yourself all at once. Your blood levels of the medication aren't steady after that either.

Please don't open ER or SR (sustained release) pills. Be safe!