Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does "success" look like to you?

Good idea for a topic @VSGAnn

My Dr. looks at her Weight loss calculator and announces that 220 is all that is expected for me (starting weight 350). This makes me quite sad, but not sad enough to throw in the towel.

To me success (long term) would put me at 180. Truly success needs to be measured in smaller increments.

Today......being just 7 weeks post op....my success comes from the physical changes I can already feel. I am going to wave my freekin flags and claim success......my "freekin flags" those loose skin flags that are forming on the underside of my ams. Quite noticeable already....SUCCESS.

Success.......that chair on the porch that pinched my outer thighs......doesn't pinch anymore

Success......shaving my legs has become a bit easier

Success.......my husbands arms encircle me more when he hugs me

So far, my biggest feeling of "success" happens when I walk nearly 4 miles on my favorite "Map My Walk" route -- at 3.5 mph.

Two years ago I didn't know whether to have WLS or knee replacement surgery first. Now, my docs say, "Forget the knee surgery. You don't need it now."

Oh, and I haven't used Aleve or other nsaids daily for the past year and a half. Whoopee!

Oh, and I'm wearing size 4 jeans / slacks. BAM!

Oh, and I feel 30 years younger. That's a bloody miracle, given that I was agoraphobic and almost immobilized two years ago by my obesity!

@@VSGAnn2014, sounds like BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM to me!!!! Congratulations!

Success....my sleep apnea is gone!

Success...I can cross my legs without having to pull my foot up!

Success....Im no longer the biggest one in the room!

Success....I have SO much energy now!

Success--I never look at anything and groan at it being "too far to walk"

Success--I don't get winded climbing stairs and choose them instead of the elevator

Success--I can buy cheap clothes off clearance racks and at goodwill and they fit

Success--I can borrow clothes from my slender teen daughter (though that also means she can borrow mine, and she's not so good at returning!)

Success--saving money sharing Entrees at restaurants

Success--being able to challenge my teen son to planking contests and sometimes winning!

Success--wearing a smaller size than I wore in HS even when adjusted for vanity sizing.

Success--running a full marathon

Success--inspiring more healthy eating in other members of my family who have never struggled with weight, just because it's healthier.

Success--MAINTAINING weight loss for a year (well as of this coming Wednesday!)

I can walk, exercise, and get around a lot better, and now prefer to be moving.

I can see my shoes and tie them by by squatting down.

I can wear a size large, and feel comfortable.

I am off every med I was on before surgery.

I can keep up with my daycare kiddos easier, and my 18 month old grandson!

I went to forever 21 and bought normal sized bra's and found some clothes. Love shopping anywhere!

I am was not the biggest person at Thanksgiving dinner!

My hubby can wrap his arms all the way around me!

My three teenagers take my clothes, and I jokingly put on their medium sized shirt and could get it on(although it fit like a glove, 5 months ago I had trouble turning them right size out folding clothes!!!)

I love that my grocery shopping has become easier and cheaper as I don't bring anything that I would not eat into the house. Which has made my kiddos make better choices.

I can cross my legs!!

I am already at my goal size pants and working on the last 25 pounds!

Your doctor will calculate an average based on statistical analysis, as the typical five-year weight loss for most people ranges between 50-70% of excess weight. So, he is simply being realistic.

However, that being said

Your doctor deals with statistics.

You deal with your own goals, effort, motivation, and desires.

Edited by BarrySue

- bmi in the "normal" range

- wearing cute clothes that flatter my new figure in the "regular" sizes

- knowing my husband is proud of my appearance

- finding exercise much easier to accomplish

Wow....so many great successes. I've not had a towel wrap all the way around me since about 1972.....I look forward to that one!

Regular size clothing....1978. Looking forward to that too.

I constantly have to work on what I consider a success because I am a perfectionist and set the bar very high. This has been a blessing and a curse my entire life. I work circles around others but at my own expense. If I don't reach the goal I set for myself I feel like a failure. I've been working on correcting this "all-or-nothing" mentality for the past year.

My first reaction to your question is, "Hitting your goal weight and maintaining forever!" However, I know that is not realistic for everyone. I'm still 6 pounds from goal and my doctor wants me to lower my goal weight another 5 pounds giving me a total of 11 pounds to lose. I've been stuck on a stall and fighting to not give in to the "nothing" mentality.

I'm still going to fight until I hit my goal. But I know I need to see the other successes along the way. It's not all or nothing.

Love this post! What a great question. For me success has become less about a number and more about freedom. Freedom from the constant obsession with food....what I'm eating, what I'm not eating, what I shouldn't be eating, what I should be eating but I'm not eating. You get the point. Still working on this one.

I'm thrilled with my goal of 221 and would settle happily for 245. From 417 and with a very large frame, I don't think I am settling.

Good idea for a topic @VSGAnn

My Dr. looks at her Weight loss calculator and announces that 220 is all that is expected for me (starting weight 350). This makes me quite sad, but not sad enough to throw in the towel.

To me success (long term) would put me at 180. Truly success needs to be measured in smaller increments.

Today......being just 7 weeks post op....my success comes from the physical changes I can already feel. I am going to wave my freekin flags and claim success......my "freekin flags" those loose skin flags that are forming on the underside of my ams. Quite noticeable already....SUCCESS.

Success.......that chair on the porch that pinched my outer thighs......doesn't pinch anymore

Success......shaving my legs has become a bit easier

Success.......my husbands arms encircle me more when he hugs me

I don't know why any doctor would do that. You can lose as much weight as you want, it's totally in your power and you should set your goal at what you truly want and do your best to get there. I promise you it's possible!!! This surgery is a wonderful tool.