Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I get the band

I'm getting the band in Tuesday but I'm ready so many people are getting switched over to the sleeve. My doctor does less bands and more sleeves now. I'm concerned about not absorbing Calcium as I have some osteopenia. My mom had gastric bypass years ago and can't absorb Calcium and has osteoporosis. My sister recently has had issues with her sleeve she needs surgery for scar tissue. Too much info out there. Me being a R N doesn't help.

Are people happy with their bands? Why did you choose the band? Anyone recently get banded and why that choice?

Being a RN you have access to information on all of the WLS surgery options. I cannot give you medical advice only my personal experience. I was 66 years old when I made the decision to try to improve my health. I had type 2 Diabetes, High Blood pressure and HIgh cholesterol. My mobility was decreasing daily, I had no energy . I went to a seminar and talked to several friends who I knew had had weight loss surgery. Every WLS has side effects or down sides. I made my decision to get the band because I did not want to lose 80 % of my stomach (Sleeve) I did not want to have my intestines re-routed (bypass). the band was minimally invasive, and after talking with my banded friends determined that this surgery could be a long term solution to a long problem. It is not the easy way out as some say, it's still work and you have to follow the rules. However, I have lost most of my weight and feel like a new person. After almost 3 years I have changed the way I look at food and even this Thanksgiving has been a challenge but I know even though I ate more unhealthy than normal I will be back on track today and will continue to maintain my loss. Recovery from band surgery was pretty easy, I had some shoulder pain for a few days and some Constipation. Both resolved pretty quickly. Staying hydrated has always been a priority. Drinking tons of Water every day and taking my Vitamins is a daily routine now. I take calcium chews I have osteoporosis and have arthritis in my hips so the Calcium is a must. The other plus side to the band is none of my Vitamins are malabsorbed. I'm not sure why with the other surgeries that happens but I know in my case with the band It does not.

As usual, you are the best judge of what you need for you. Just wanted to give you my experience. Best of Luck on your decision and Let us know how you are doing.

Great post, Sharpie! I love my band -- this has been an amazing two years and I'm very grateful for all that has transpired. Best wishes to you! There are a couple of links in my signature below that explain more about how the band works.

Thanks Bandista.. those are good links. life is so much better being banded...

Thanks for the response. Yes, I've done my research. I don't want my stomach taken out and I would never have my intestines rerouted. I exercise and enjoy it I look forward to doing yoga where my stomach doesn't get in the way of floor exercises. I've been working on eating smaller portions and see how my family contributes to eating also. I'm changing what food we have in my house. 3 years ago I had to have a hysterectomy and a lot of stress at work and my BP sky rocketed so now I'm on BP meds. I have sleep apnea but really think I've had this since before college when I was thin. My entire family has sleeping disorders. A couple of years ago I realized I sleep eat on ambien, scary. I know I shouldn't read too much. I've found a lot of good info to prepare for post op. Today I'm cooking Soups and freezing in ice cube trays. My liquid and full liquid diet is ready to go.