Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May have bit off more than I can chew......hobby related fun on the way !

One of the things that my improving health is doing is allowing me to return to the things I enjoy doing.

For instance.....walking up the driveway and into the front entrance of the house yesterday I notice that there is gunk built up between the bricks.....driveway is looking dark, too. Working through the weekend and will get off next Thursday for a day off. Instead of laying around and recovering, I think I'll buy a pressure washer and clean up the driveway and front stairwell.

Why keep paying someone else to keep doing it ????? Several home repair/update issues like that awaiting some attention.

Gas Honda motor chugging away and a Water jet......what could be more fun.

Another thing that I am preparing myself for is to get back to deer and duck hunting.......in the Fall/Winter of 2016.

I live in a border town between two states and have hunting buddies in both and huge tracks of public land to hunt in each. I need to get in killer shape in order to keep up with them, though.

The deer hunting, for instance, will involve long hikes while wearing a climbing stand on my back......and hopefully some long deer drags out of the woods. Even if I get in top shape there will be some taxing moments, I'm sure. A 5 mile walk over wooded terrain with changing elevation in the dawn & dusk hours is going to be something to work up to. I've gotta log some serious uphill miles on the treadmill in the months ahead.

The duck hunting isn't a heck of a lot easier, either. Wading through flooded timber to get set up or paddling skinny Water boats into position will be it's own workout. Toting a sack full of weighted decoys and a 28" shotgun to boot.

Some of the deer hunts will find me not even taking a rifle. Bad right shoulder is keeping me from archery hunting, so I'll carry a revolver only and hunt the thick cover areas. Fun challenge.

If I feel really confident by March 2016, I may jump in on some turkey hunts with the guys. These will be good tests to see how far off I am.

I'm now in the process of doing what I can with my gear situation. Not only am I losing weight.....but I'm whiling the ounces down on my gear, too. The type of hunting thats coming will be different than my old style......no more 4-wheelers to ride in/out with. Old fashion boot leather is what's going to be used for this hunting.

I just ordered a 6.33 lb rifle that should arrive next week. The lightweight scope & rings/bases came in today. An aftermarket recoil pad is on the way, too.

For the March/April turkeys I'm going to try using a lightweight 20 gauge. I have a great turkey choke for it that I just need to pattern with some of the loads my buddies have recommended.

I'm under no illusions about using that little 20 gauge on anything else. I'll break out the boomstick on those ducks. I may very well get a sling for it, though. Sure will make it easier to lug around in the woods.

I was in the stores recently and was shocked at the great selection of ultra comfortable snake-proof hunting boots. I'll wait a little while before buying them, but I'm encouraged to know that a nice comfortable pair will be available.

Sure is fun seeing progress and knowing that the things you enjoy doing await you.

The woods are calling me......all I have to do is rise to the challenge and keep moving.....working.....humping it. I can hardly wait.

So grateful !!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Dub

Sounds like you a have a great plan. Be praying for you..

Sounds like great goals. It is so much better to look forward to all the things you will enjoy again, instead of missing all the things you once could do!

That sounds like some serious exercise. How fabulous will it be to be able to keep up? You'll feel fantastic out there - you may even forget about the cold/damp aspect.

And nights back in camp will feel pretty awesome, I'm guessing. You're gonna have to get yourself some new hunting duds, though, the old ones will be falling off you.

Sounds like you a have a great plan. Be praying for you..

Thank you !!!!!

Sounds like great goals. It is so much better to look forward to all the things you will enjoy again, instead of missing all the things you once could do!

You nailed it there. Looking forward with optimism is so much better than dreading time to pass waiting for the next health scare or loss of ability to do things.

I had not realized how "down" I was just 6 weeks ago at the time of my surgery.

Feeling better each and every day and gaining confidence that I can commit to things.......finally.

So grateful.

That sounds like some serious exercise. How fabulous will it be to be able to keep up? You'll feel fantastic out there - you may even forget about the cold/damp aspect.

And nights back in camp will feel pretty awesome, I'm guessing. You're gonna have to get yourself some new hunting duds, though, the old ones will be falling off you.

Cool thing about this is that the land is really close to home. I'll be within an hour of the house.

No camps.....home to a hot shower, cup of java and a warm bed every night.

No need for hunting duds.

Down here in the Dirty South we hunt nekkid. :P

Just kidding.....I actually will have to start over on the hunting clothes. Great opportunity to take advantage of all the light, yet warm, high tech moisture wicking-wind blocking fabrics. Probably more comfortable than any other clothing imaginable. Of all the gear that I can be picking up now, on sale.....the clothes will be last minute. I'm going to work hard to be at my goal weight by then......that'll be right at 12 months. It's going to be cutting it close.

I'll imagine clothing expense will be a big deal around that time....work clothes, casual clothes, suits.....ouch $$$$.

Sure is nice to think clothing will take more of my funds than the crazy medical bills of this past year did.

Thanks for this one, Dub. I, too have lost a lot of pounds and long lost mobility is returning. I was having trouble balancing in my fishing boat and could no longer ride my bike. At my heaviest (440) I was heading toward couch potato land.

At 300, I can ride again, and when winter is over will be in the boat again. I find I can walk much easier, which the yellow lab appreciates. Just getting out of a chair is 100% easier. I am looking out my window at a 11,000 foot mountain that I am going to climb when I get to goal weight...

I am totally on board with what you are saying. I really enjoy hunting and fishing, particularly deer hunting. I've got great land in my back yard to hunt, there's a big 11 point running around right now, but it's pretty steep is the only problem. Maybe I will be able to get out late this season and get after him. I'm only 4 weeks post op, but I've already lost 40 pounds, sure makes climbing hills with all that gear alot easier. Even if I don't get to go this year, there's always next year, and by then I plan on being a lean mean machine! :)