Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

exercise after surgery, what did you start with?

I am trying to grasp at what magnitude I should begin with in exercise. I don't know if I should just begin with walking or...? Any advice on your work out routines after surgery would be great!

Couch to 5k. It builds walk/run intervals very slowly.

@@jess9395 I had looked I to the couch to 5k when I was 70lbs less than I am now, but running is very hard for me as big as I am. Thank you!

I'm 6+ weeks out.

So far, my exercise has been the exact same thing that I did in the hospital 3 hours after surgery.....walking.

I walk a fair amount with my job and that has been the extent of things so far.

Hernia repair has been healing up....still too early for weight lifting.......back pains easining up some with the weight loss thus far......hoping to begin treadmill and elliptical work very, very soon.

I feel like all I've done so far has been adjust my way of eating and I haven't really done much "work" or "sweat equity" to lose the weight. I'm hoping that December will be my best weight loss month to date.....due to adding the treadmill & elliptical machines on my days off.

I've got this cool feeling that the real fun is about to begin once this occurs.................

@@jess9395 I had looked I to the couch to 5k when I was 70lbs less than I am now, but running is very hard for me as big as I am. Thank you!

How big are you? I started at 5'6" 271lbs at age 45, had never ever run before. I was the one walking at the back of the pack in high school!

Walking and yoga are other great choices! If you're on Instagram look up "big lady yoga". She is inspirational!

My main exercise was walking just after surgery. After I was cleared to get in the pool (after my incisions had healed over) was when I really started "exercising". I started with Water aerobics and then later added lap swimming.

@@jess9395 i a 5'4 and 370lbs. I carry a lot of weight in my legs and butt. I will definitely check out 'big lady yoga' sounds like fun.

@@Dub I am glad to hear that walking is a big part of the first steps. I know that I am going to want to do it the right way as to not injure my body but I also want to push myself. Thank you for sharing your workout so far.

@innersurfergirl swimming is definitely an exercise I want to get into. Having a pool here on site makes it a prime choice, plus it is so good for your body! How many weeks would you say you were at when you could get in the pool?

@innersurfergirl swimming is definitely an exercise I want to get into. Having a pool here on site makes it a prime choice, plus it is so good for your body! How many weeks would you say you were at when you could get in the pool?

I think it was right around four weeks.

I think it was right around four weeks.

Awesome, that will give me a rough time fame to shoot for! thank you

I was walking at the hospital then walking around my neighborhood building up to about 1 1/2-2 miles a day by 4 weeks then cleared for elliptical at the gym. I'll wait for 6 weeks to be cleared for unlimited and add weights to my regime.

GS 11/25 starting weight 8/4/15 250lbs surgery date 11/25 228.8 and today 204.6. I started walking after surgery and then on treadmill 30 min post surgery every day 7 days a week, now I am up to 30-45 min at about 2.2-2.3 miles an hour. I started 5 lbs weights about 10 days ago, every other day for my upper arms, lift restriction is 10 lbs. I am planning tomorrow to start lap swimming (cleared by pays) tomorrow and built it up. When approved, hopefully in 2 weeks will start add. weights. I also got a hula hoop albs, but not approved for another 2 weeks and incisions still pretty sensitive.

I pushing my fluids every day till 64 ounces or more, no vomiting, a little nausea, first 2 weeks very bad burping, but now much better, also pushed my Protein intake to at least 60 grams a day, now between 60-70 a day, taking antacids and gall bladder meds and daily bariatric Vitamins as suggested by pays and added Biotin 2500mcg to prevent hair loss. It is in my Vitamins but only 600 mcg,

I'm dying to try kickboxing one day

Couch to 5k. It builds walk/run intervals very slowly.

How soon after surgery did you start running? I used to run 5ks and am planning on running my first half in March and I'd like to start training asap.