Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I've started hanging out and reading/learning here. I'm on the way toward having VSG. I've had my testing and approvals done by my PCP, have had my first appointment with my surgeon, attended a required day-long nutrition class, made the appointment with the psychiatrist, and scheduled all of the monthly appointments with the nutritionist It will be April 2016 before I'm done with all the appointments, and probably May before I can hope to get my surgery.

I'm 56 years old. I've developed obesity-related issues over the years that have gotten gradually worse each year: HBP, high cholesterol, borderline diabetes, GERD, arthritis, really bad knees, etc. Serious permanent weight loss is my only hope. I've been overweight since age 8, and dieting off and on all my life. I was diagnosed as a teen with PCOS, which makes weight loss extra-hard. I've occasionally lost a lot of weight dieting, but eventually something happens, "life happens" and I would get derailed and gain. I'm definitely an emotional eater and that's going to be my biggest challenge. There's always so much shame in regaining / failing, and I want to break that cycle once and for all.

Once I took the step in the direction of weight loss surgery, I was surprised and disappointed when I learned it would take over 6 months to get through the process to be able to get the surgery, but I'm just moving forward and taking it one appointment at a time. I want to really learn and absorb all of the lessons they're trying to teach me, because I want to be successful, once and for all. I really want my life back, and I desperately want to be able do all the physical things that have been slipping away from me the past few years.

I've started logging my food and Water on www.myfitnesspal.com, and I'm really going to try to eat and drink the way I'll need to do it in a few months. Sometimes I find myself craving things just because I'll probably never have it again, and my "obesity voice" is telling me to get it while I can. I'm fighting this battle every day right now.

At the nutrition class last week, I received a book and workbook called "The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients" by Colleen M. Cook. I'm going to start reading and working through this material today. Has anyone here used this material?

I'm single. The one family member who knows is my 28 year old daughter. We're very close; she's going to be my helper when I have the surgery. I'm keeping the surgery private from most everyone I know, because I'm sure I'll get negativity and I don't need that. I want only a few very positive & supportive people to be in on this with me.

So, I hope to get to know you, and I hope I can be of support to others. :)

Stick with it!!! I went through the whole 6 month process THREE times before getting my sleeve in August. This is just a test of self determination, if you can go through all the hoops, you can endure the new relationship with your body/food after surgery!! Good luck and congrats!

Welcome aboard! I hear you on the shame thing for regaining, big time. I'm also logging all my food and activity (I use Sparkpeople), because I figure the longer I have the habit, the easier it will be to keep doing it. I'm also doing the work of tackling some of the mental aspects of this journey. One thing I've definitely learned from these boards is that the folks who get to, and stay at, goal are the ones who commit to long-term, permanent behavioral change.

The third thing I'm practicing is recognizing the point where I'm satisfied. One of my bad habits is to eat beyond that point just because something tastes good. It's pretty amazing how little food it takes to reach that point, even preop!

Good luck to you, there are lots of really helpful (and funny!) folks here.

Hi Maggie -

The great thing about getting sleeved is that when 85% of your stomach is removed, the chemical 'grellin' (sp?) is non-existant. That chemical is what creates physical hunger.

Know This: After your surgery, you will not be hungry. At least not actual physical hunger. Prepare yourself to combat 'head hunger' because that is the real issue post-op. Conquer that demon and you will be successful.

You will make it!

-RC-

@@UalreadyKnow - welcome :D

we are a motley crew but have best interests, even though it may not seem that way all the time.

ask away...

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm really glad to be here, and can't wait to get to know you all.