Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm almost 4 weeks post-op. Is low-fat ice cream okay in a shake/smoothie?

No.

Not during weight loss phase.

Just the regular Protein shakes. No ice cream.

I wouldn't recommend it at 4 week post op. I don't think I had ice cream of any sort until I maybe 9mths post-op. Give the new eating a chance to kick in.

Thanks.

I caught my online shopping order just in time. Goodbye Edy's lite, hello yogurt, sigh.

Also be careful with the frozen yogurt (the kind by the ice cream, not the kind that you buy as yogurt and freeze at home). My rule during weight loss was to eat nothing out of the frozen dessert section (or any desserts). If something looks like a dessert, it's not something a person who is actively trying to lose weight should be eating.

I judge not. I had ice cream at about a year, and again 2-3 times since then over the course of 27 months. There is also a really great frozen Greek yogurt that I convinced myself before surgery was ok to eat. I haven't touched it since.

If you want to use yogurt, you can freeze the Greek kind and then toss it into a smoothie. Healthy, lots of Protein, and much more limited in sugar than the frozen Yogurt that you find next to the ice cream.

Not unless you would like to stay the same weight.

Also, dumping is lovely. Trust me you don't want to find out if you do!!

@@bellabloom - He's sleeved. We rarely dump.

Well I'm sleeved and I dump like crazy. It isn't true that sleeve patients don't dump. Sadly for me. And ice cream and dairy are the worst. Anyone who has a significant portion of their stomach removed can dump.

I didn't mean to be a downer. It's just you read about so many people devastated about not losing enough weight or regaining and they ask why? Why? Well...

Ice cream and sweets are not weight loss friendly. Or WLS friendly.

Edited by bellabloom

Well I'm sleeved and I dump like crazy. It isn't true that sleeve patients don't dump. Sadly for me. And ice cream and dairy are the worst. Anyone who has a significant portion of their stomach removed can dump.

I didn't mean to be a downer. It's just you read about so many people devastated about not losing enough weight or regaining and they ask why? Why? Well...

Ice cream and sweets are not weight loss friendly. Or WLS friendly.

Operative word RARELY. You are the exception, not the rule.

I've also read that you have other complications as well that may also play a part in your dumping. I have zero issues eating anything sweet. In fact I have no issues eating at all. I don't vomit or dump.

@@bellabloom

I always thought you were a bypass patient due to the profile information listed on the left side of each of your posts.

I've had a mild......very mild form of dumping when I had something high in sugar this week while visiting with family.

It was enough to convince me to stay far, far away from such foods as I didn't like the feeling one bit at all.

My body has not anything with refined carbs like that in months and it put me in a tailspin. It was nothing like a "dumping" experience that my sister, a bypass patient, has described to me, but it was enough to alert me that it wasn't a good food choice for what I'm trying to do.

@@bellabloom

I always thought you were a bypass patient due to the profile information listed on the left side of each of your posts.

I've had a mild......very mild form of dumping when I had something high in sugar this week while visiting with family.

It was enough to convince me to stay far, far away from such foods as I didn't like the feeling one bit at all.

My body has not anything with refined carbs like that in months and it put me in a tailspin. It was nothing like a "dumping" experience that my sister, a bypass patient, has described to me, but it was enough to alert me that it wasn't a good food choice for what I'm trying to do.

I've had both bypass (12-4-14) and sleeve (03-16-15). Cause I'm that lucky. I have a sleeve now.

@@bellabloom

I've had both bypass (12-4-14) and sleeve (03-16-15). Cause I'm that lucky. I have a sleeve now.

I'm confused. You had bypass first, and then the sleeve? Did the reverse the bypass? I didn’t know you could do a bypass to sleeve revision.

@@bellabloom

How do you go from bypass to sleeve? I've never heard of that before and a quick Google search couldn't provide me with any info. I've heard of sleeve to bypass, but not the other way around.

@@bellabloom

Wow.

You are doubly experienced with this.

I've not heard of anyone going in this particular direction before.

You must have a very unique perspective on wls in general.

I had gastric bypass and developed complications. I had an awful surgeon. He never told me exactly what he thought was wrong. I was in excruciating pain and couldn't eat or drink. He said he thought one of my intestines wasn't functioning.

He reversed my gastric bypass and converted it to a sleeve. The pain went away.

After that I switched surgeons and my new surgeon said my gastric bypass probably didn't need to be reversed, that is was an issue with my intestine being too short. Anyway, that's what happened. I'm a rare case.