Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water intake and Daily Calorie goals

Hi everyone! I am 1 week post op. I think I have my Protein intake figured out but I am struggling with a couple things. I'm averaging 16 oz of Water a day and I'm taking in just under 600 calories daily. I've lost 7 pounds since surgery but am I doing this right? Not sure how to get more water in everyday and not sure if my caloric intake is on par. I'd love to hear what you think. Thank you!

You need to get in 64 oz of fluids per day -- most surgeons don't care whether it is Water or something else (as long as the something else isn't liquor!). Most plans call for you to track total Fluid intake. What does that look like for you? 16 oz of fluids total is a real problem, but 16 oz of water plus 48 ounces of other liquids is great.

Did your medical team give you guidelines on caloric intake? Mine had me on under 600 calories for the first four weeks post-op, but every plan is a little, or a lot, different.

You need to get in 64 oz of fluids per day -- most surgeons don't care whether it is Water or something else (as long as the something else isn't liquor!). Most plans call for you to track total Fluid intake. What does that look like for you? 16 oz of fluids total is a real problem, but 16 oz of Water plus 48 ounces of other liquids is great.

Did your medical team give you guidelines on caloric intake? Mine had me on under 600 calories for the first four weeks post-op, but every plan is a little, or a lot, different.

Thank you for the response. Do my Protein shakes count towards my water intake? If so, I think that gets me closer but not quite to 48oz. I try to keep a glass of water around me all the time but it's a struggle to get it all down. I feel full a lot.

I wasn't given a calorie goal. It just seems like 600 is low. Then again once I start eating puréed food it might be hard to maintain even 600. I'm sure I'll be taking in even more.

Edited by nikisa

Unless your nutritionist said otherwise, it's Fluid not Water that your are tracking. You do want to get in as much Water as possible, but it's Fluid that counts, so yes your Protein drinks count. However my rule of thumb is to drink enough water that my urine is pale yellow. Water helps with digestion and Constipation. I literally carry a water bottle everywhere and when I am not eating, I'm sipping.

As for calories, don't worry about them being low. We have plenty of fat reserves to burn. Focus on meeting your Protein and fluid goals. If you are still unsure call your nutritionist and review your diet with them.

I was right around 600 at your stage also. It felt right - I wasn't tired and I lost weight. I was getting in a lot more Water than you are though - I had no trouble getting my 64 ounce in. Good luck.

I had a Protein and Fluid goal. Calories will fall into place if you follow your program.

For me, any Fluid counted (Protein shakes, crushed ice, sugar free Popsicles, soup/broth, etc.).

Just keep sipping.

You guys are so helpful! Thank you so very much for the insight. :-)

I was having trouble with Water too, I'm 4-weeks post op. My hubby downloaded an app on my phone called Waterlogged, $4 for the full version. I thought he was nuts, but now my phone makes bubbling noises every 10 minutes reminding me to sip!! It's helping me change my habits.

I'm 11 days post op and average 48 ounces of Water and my Protein Drinks. When I struggle with drinking I get a sugar free Popsicle it some Jello. I count calories but only because I'm using myfitnsspal ap to track water and Protein. I average 300-450 calories a day and have lost 18 lbs since the day of surgery.

My thing is to always dip even if I don't want it since there is always that hour and half around your protein you can't drink so your losing that time. Even if I wake up in the middle of the night. Usually some protein since I'll be going back to bed and don't need to worry about waiting the allotted time to drink more water.

You really need more fluids. Dehydration is no joke and you've come so far.

Good luck.

Wow! Really great ideas. Very helpful too! I just downloaded the app Waterlogged. Thank you for the suggestion! I think it'll help keep me on track. Here goes nothing! :-)

Aquaalert is another good one, if you are on android.