Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My sleeve was Nov 17th. Having some heartburn at night. I wasn't give anything for heartburn when I was discharged? Any suggest on what I can take OTC?

Omeprazole/Prilosec. The otc directions say to take 20 mg once per day, but my doctor always says take 20 mg in the morning and another 20 mg at night. There may be other PPI's available OTC as well. My doctor says stay away from Tums and other non-PPI type acid drugs as they really just don't work very well (for anyone).

If you go to a pharmacy, the pharmacist should be able to help out and recommend things as well, if you prefer getting medical advice from a medical professional rather than some random message board stranger (I would!).

Nexium

My doc prescribed an acid reducer for me to take when I was discharged from the hospital, basically a form of Prilosec.

He explained that Prilosec prevents the acid from building up as well as remedies the acid reflux when I may forget to take it.

I will be honest.. It still doesn't completely take it away but gosh if I don't take it, it is unbearable. It also prevents the amount I can take in.. If the acid is high in my stomach I can usually fill too quickly and then end up vomiting after meals. I am 6 weeks out currently so it is trial and error at this point..

Good luck and hope you get some relief soon!

I was prescribed omeprazole. I started at 20 mgs per day. Around month 3 I had to increase to 40 mgs. I also found it most helpful to take 2 -3 hours before. I would typically get it in the evenings, so taking it around 2 - 3 pm worked best for me. By month 6 I no longer needed it.

Omeprazole. I was sent home with a weeks worth of Ranitidine (Zantac) and instructions to take a PPI for 3-6 months I started with the generic Prilosec and take it twice a day... Well, I actually only take it once a day now, in the evening. Around 6 months I noticed that skipping one didn't make much difference, but not taking the evening one still resulted in a gurgling, burping, rumbling tummy... but not actual GERD. So I still take an OTC Omprezole once a day.

Nexium or Somac, maybe give your surgeon a call. Mine was so bad I ha dot take a double dose of Nexium, PLUS mylanta. Now I'm still on the Nexium, but only take mylanta occasionally.