Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 post op, couple simple questions

Hi Guys and Gals, Mark here and 4 days post op.. Is that right, surgery on Monday the 23rd at 9 am and today is the 26th? Does surgery day count as day 1 or is the day after surgery day 1?

Feeling pretty good, mostly restriction pain when swallowing and having to get used to it and some gas pain. One thing I've found is that Water hurts more going down than Protein shakes or milk. Anyone else experience that?

I woke up early and had about 12 ounces of Water and then half hour later, had a EAS Carb control Protein shake for Breakfast, my real first attempt at created a schedule. I'm okayed for Protein Shakes and stuff as long as they aren't too thick. Been sticking with pre-made for now mostly. Anyway, this eas drink was 11 ounces and it went down smoothly and pain free in about 10 minutes. I thought with the "angry banana" only holding 3 or 4 ounces that I wouldn't be able to get it all in but no problem. Sips of water a half hour later hurt going down.

Sound right to you guys?

Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving!

Mark

They counted my surgery date as day 1. Good luck!

Hi Mark! Congratulations on a successful surgery. My clinic counted days post-op so they considered "day 1" as the day after surgery. Good to hear you are able to progress to Protein shakes without issue.

Everyone has a slightly different response to surgery. I personally had no pain drinking Water. It should hopefully get better soon, if not I'd sure ask about it at your first follow-up visit or ask the clinic.

@@Angry Banana - sounds like you are doing fine. Some people do have issues with Water. You can try varying the temperature and see if that helps.

My surgery was the same day!!

And my symptoms are very similar to yours. Drinking Water is painful and causes gas, however flavored water went down easier (I have no explanation for that) I also found that the eas Protein Drinks go down smooth.

My pouch feels great when I first wake up but then as soon as I start putting anything in it I experience some discomfort and if I push it it hurts so I listen to my body and stop.

I'm hopeful that each day I'll be able to increase my Protein and water intake.

My surgery went great, I otherwise feel great. I'm off pain meds, I've had no nausea but I have had an increase in fatigue.

My thanksgiving meal consists of a cup of turkey broth (strained) with a scoop of Unjury unflavored protein, it is doubtful that I will finish the entire 8 ozs!

Thanks all for the responses.. I hope good things continue for all of us on this path. I've only taken Tylenol so far since the percocet make my mouth Water.. Almost like to much booze. lol..

@turbomom22.. yeah, same thing here. I love the eas carb control shakes and like you, my morning starts off great, then a bit of churning and winds down and ends up pretty good by bedtime. My worst day was definitely surgery day. The anesthesia and no Water thing in the hospital was a killer and those swabs did nothing but cause frustration. I felt like I had the worst hangover ever and could not find the cat that crapped in my mouth while I was out..

I'm still amazed that I went through with the surgery and never thought I'd be on the losers bench despite being a full time loser :)

Typically today I would have started off with a couple of big coffees followed some type of breakfast.. Then a full day of picking before strapping on the feed bag for the turkey extravaganza. Let's not forget boozing and football. Would probably be about 20 beers deep by now.. Oh and the next game is starting, so might as well eat again and then some desert.

BUT my big treat today was a sugar free popsicle and some Optifast chicken Soup. I'm still pretty satisfied with Protein shakes and some type of water even though the dogs look a bit tasty, especially that little chubby one..lol..No wait, that would have been pre-banana. Think I'll have a glass of milk and hopefully I can produce an outburst of throat/mouth gurgles that make my family crack up. Glad I can be of some benefit for their enjoyment.

M

Edited by Angry Banana

Hahaha angry banana you make me laugh!! Keep it well get through this a whole lot thinner and healthier!!!! Keep me updated on your progress!

Angrybanana you make me laugh too!!! Thank you. Great job man! Sounds like you are really disciplined! Do any of you take pills? Swallow whole or crush?

@rking I take pills regularly for arthritis pain ... first 6 weeks I had to crush them ... I would mix with a tiny bit of Water and drink it fast ... tasted like crap ...

but then after the 6 week mark .. doc cleared me to take them whole ... which freaked me out ... so now I break in half and take half at a time ... seems not to upset any of the delicate workings in there!

I just had to make sure before surgery that the pain doc could give me something crushable ... which was no trouble at all ...

Good luck to you!! :)

@@MrsKarenC2008, looks like you've done great with weight loss, congrats! Has that helped your arthritis at all?

m

Angrybanana you make me laugh too!!! Thank you. Great job man! Sounds like you are really disciplined! Do any of you take pills? Swallow whole or crush?

I've took a few whole Tylenol and on day 2 or 3 but nothing since. I got the melting kind of Vitamins and while they're not very tasty, they work I guess as I've yet to develop scurvy :)

m

It sounds like you are drinking too fast. My sleeve was 23 months ago. I think the early rule is 2 ounces in 10 minutes. By drinking too much too fast, you run the risk of vomiting and eventually stretching the stomach. You need to get in the habit of drinking slow now, because when you start eating you won't have a choice. If you eat fast you may throw up or experience horrible pain in your chest, neck or shoulder.

Edited by cindi gant

@@Angry banana Good morning !

YES ! There has been significant relief of my arthritis pain since the weight loss ... ( though I'm not done! )

I still get stiff and I still have SOME pain ... but the greatest amount of it is gone ... THANK GOD !

I am due to have knee replacements in the future .... but I can put it off for a while because of the WLS ... Which was my main goal ... Doc said he wasn't too keen on doing it while I was so heavy ... AND he couldn't bend my knee all the way to do the surgery anyway ( because of the fat/lymphedema ) .... but now ... I'm sure if he pushed it .. it would bend ... nothing I can bend like that on my own anyway ... OUCH!

Have a wonderful day!

I've took a few whole Tylenol and on day 2 or 3 but nothing since. I got the melting kind of Vitamins and while they're not very tasty, they work I guess as I've yet to develop scurvy :)

Tylenol rapid release gels are wonderful ... they work really fast and they are easy on the pouch ... or in your case ... The Angry banana :) ( love the name! )