Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any 12hr shift nurses out there?

I work 12 hr shifts. What has your experience been with your new lifestyle AND working long shifts??

I'm interested in this topic bc I work 12 hour shifts as an RN and I was wondering how everyone is managing. I haven't begun the process yet but I'm on my way. Looking forward to the responses

I work a mix of 8's and 12's, days and nights. The surgeon I started seeing advocated for no shift work, because it is hard on our bodies, but I've been doing very well.

I work 12 hour shifts in L&D at night!

I'm a little worried about this adjustment once I go back to work. Sx scheduled for Dec 9th.

I am a nurse and work 12 hour night shifts. It was challenging in the beginning to keep hydrated. Since the beginning I always overpack what I think I might eat (so I have a good variety) and I always have a ready to drink Protein Shake with me at all times. I rarely drink the Protein shake, but if I get super busy it's an easy way to get fluids, calories, and protein all in one.

I always drink Water on my drive into work and on my drive home- that helps with my Fluid intake.

Also, eat a high protein meal right before getting dressed. Then by the time I was ready to head out I could start drinking. That way I started my day with high protein. Then if my shift starts busy I am not behind on protein and fluids.

I think the key is to constantly be diligent and not get to distracted to eat and drink.

Sometimes I set timers on my phone.

It is definitely doable, just a little more challenging for us!!

Good luck.

I am a 12 hour day/night nurse too. I haven't had surgery yet but will follow this thread for advise and tips too!

I am a 12 hour nurse in the ER, hopefully doing surgery in January. I am concerned about the long hours, the lifting, and not getting enough Water in. How soon before I can go back to work?

I'm a 12 HR day nurse..I was told 2-3 weeks off. I won't have surgery until 12/14 so I'm not sure how I'll manage after coming back. I'm really concerned about doing the Liquid Protein diet for the week prior to sx while still doing my 3 12's that week..planning on frequent small meals after and just always having a Protein Shake ready for the week pre-op