Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tuna Garden Cream ( Looking for Feedback )

Hey there everyone.

So, i've been learning how to cook recipe that adjust better to my new life style post-surgery ( 1 month in here ). Mostly my family has been the ''test subjects" for this one as i'm still learning to cook just the right sized portions for myself, and making stuff that both myself and my family can enjoy together.

So i put this one together. I believe it more appropriate for a ''soft foods'' stage, but i don't really see a problem of you adjusting or even just talking to your doc if you are still on puree and see what he thinks of it. Just don't push yourself before the right time for it.

That being said, the Recipe is not ''locked down'' and can easily be adjusted to your taste. I wanted to get some feedback on how to make it more friendly to those who have done Gastric surgery, and also how to make it more tasty, so please pitch as you like. Also good to notice that even if all ingredients are ok for your diet, this is a bit on the high side with the sodium.

This is what you need for the version of the photos below ( Which is a LARGE volume )

4 X long Green Beans

1 x Tomato

1 x Carrot

100g of Gorgonzola cheese (Or any cheese to your liking)

1 can of Shredded tuna ( works with Salmon too )

2 Large table spoons of Cream Cheese

1 table spoon of Soy Sauce

100g of Green olives

100g of Black Olives

This is the process:

Peel and Shred your Carrot. remove the seeds of the tomato and slice it down thin. Chop your green Beans.

Slice and break down your cheese to small pieces or shred it it's a firm cheese like cheddar or Parmesan.

Drain your can of tuna just enough so it's still moist. Add 1 tablespoon of Soy sauce per can. My version used just half a can so i used half of a table spoon. This will just add a salty kick, if you don't like it you can leave this out no problem.

What i like to do is set my Olives sliced apart, and store my tomato sliced in the Water the Olives were kept in. That will go in the pan and will evaporate in no time at all, but the salty zest will remain on the tomato. As you can see in the ingredients, we didn't add any salt to this recipe. It doesn't need it.

Now for preparation, hot pan with a dash of olive oil. Add your tomato with the olive Water just until the tomato starts to soften up. Add your green beans and carrots. you just want to sweat these. The green beans and Carrots will add a nice ''crunch'' to the cream.

Once that's done, set it all aside and keep it warm nearby.

Then, add the Cheese to the cream cheese and mix it up good. Add in the Tuna, mix it up until it's all even.

Now, just add your hot veggies on top of the cold tuna cream. It will gently soften it up as it just starts to lightly melt. Mix it all up and you're done. Cool it down and now you have a great tasting, crunchy cream.

That's the overall process anyway, and there are photos also below.

If you guys would like to try your own variations and change stuff up, would be nice to have your opinions. Mine ended up more with a darker color cause i used more tuna (Half can) than cream cheese ( 2 large table spoons ), so you can easily adjust.

post-265952-0-23749800-1448546204_thumb.jpg

post-265952-0-34045100-1448546206_thumb.jpg

post-265952-0-11356200-1448546208_thumb.jpg

post-265952-0-44972200-1448546209_thumb.jpg

post-265952-0-06962300-1448546211_thumb.jpg

post-265952-0-51594100-1448546212_thumb.jpg

post-265952-0-16477600-1448546214_thumb.jpg

post-265952-0-59643700-1448546215_thumb.jpg

post-265952-0-97424100-1448546216_thumb.jpg

post-265952-0-80984000-1448546218_thumb.jpg

Well that's different. I like all the ingredients I've just never had them all together.

I think your idea is a good one, may I offer several suggestions? My salt alarm went off reading your recipe. Tuna-salty, olives with their brine- really salty, soy-super salty!!! My taste buds changed quite a bit post op so this would be a salt bomb for me. Here are my suggestions. Stir fry the carrots and Beans in a little olive oil until al dente/tender-crisp. Remove from pan. Add a little more olive oil to the pan, saute a minced clove of garlic 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the diced tomatoes, the drained liquid from the tuna(flavor- I know, salty), and a splash(1-2 t.)balsamic vinegar. The acid in the vinegar will tell your tongue that it is salty! Balsamic vinegar with tomatoes will give you a meatier flavor. Cook that down a bit, then add the tuna and veggies, just to warm through. Finally, add the cheeses to the top. The heat will soften the cheeses but not really melt them. There will be little bits of soft cheese in every bite. Great job on creating something for everyone in the family!