Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help. I am 3 years out having had the vertical sleeve surgery February 2013. I went from 220 lbs to 134 at my lowest weight. I felt amazing! I fluctuated from 135 to 140 and that was fine by me but over the past year my weight is now around 154 lbs. I'm hungry and overeat all the time. Don't get me wrong, I'm miserable after I eat that much but I have continued to over eat. If anyone can tell me how to get back on track I would deeply appreciate it.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Sincerely,

Linda H.

Have you tried going back to liquids again for a few days just to "reset" things? I hear it's great to flush things out and get a little more restriction back.

Chances are, you're eating too many carbs and sugar right now, and the reset will help wean you off again and reduce your cravings and hunger.

Or you can go back to basics like in the beginning....protien first, then veggies. Low starchy carb and low sugar, and LOTS OF Water.

I think you've maintained really well, and are just going through that normal 10% re gain most go through around the 2-3 year mark. Make a commitment to get back to the basic rules for bariatric surgery and I think you can get right back where you want to be :)

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Also, Google "5 Day Pouch Test". People who have struggled with gains years out swear by it!

Thank you Babbs, I just ordered the 5 day Pouch Test book! Thank you again :)

I agree, time go get back to basics. The five day pouch reset will help, but you MUST start making better food choices. Clearly you know what those are since you lost before. You are overeating due to emotional issues and speaking to someone about them may help you find a way to deal with those issues without overeating.

I have gained 55 lbs 5 years after sleeve. No matter what I try the scale is not moving. I been doing low carb greens and Protein only, Protein Drinks, increase activity and so on. My dietitian and personal trainer tested my resting metabolic and according to that test I burn 1700 calories without doing anything. So they have me eating 1200-1300 calories per day protein mostly. My only source of carbs is a brown rice cake. Any suggestions. I'm ready to just give up. And I don't want to have surgery ever again.

Well -- are you:

* walking at least 3 miles a day?

* drinking 64 ounces of Water / liquids?

* taking all your supplements and meds - every day and on time?

* had your thyroid checked lately?

* eating at least 80 grams of Protein daily?

* (if you lose best on a low-carb diet -- that is important for some) eating a low carb diet?

* planning and tracking your daily food intake using something like My Fitness Pal?

* actually measuring the food you eat to make sure you're not eating closer to 1700 cals/day?

If not, then do all that, give it a month and see how that goes.

If so, then tell your NUT that her/his program really isn't working and it's time for Plan B.

You admit you are overeating. Personally I blame overeating on carbs and sugar. I agree that going back to low carb is what you need to reduce those and increase your satiety. I believe low carb/ tracking calories is the best combo.

Also, focusing on exercise could now could be a good idea! If you do want to eat more it will give you some wiggle room.

You probably let those sneaky carbs back in. Give them the boot! You might want to redo a 2 week pre-op diet. I have been in a similar situation, no weight gain but louse eating.

@@VSGAnn2014 very good information, I will keep this in mind. Im only close to 4 months post op, but the fear of gaining weight is there.

The way to avoid regain is to build live a healthy lifestyle.

We can't expect to eat / live the same way we did pre-op.

If we don't change, we'll regain.

I can't add anything new, but just hit some of the points that others have said that have personally worked for me. First of all, I think that as you eat foods that are higher in carbs and sugar, you trigger that "addictive quality" that they have and you want more and more and they make you feel hungrier and hungrier. I find that on days I really stick to the 70g Protein and no more than 40g carbs I feel good restriction the next day. On the days I don't, I'm hungry the next day.

I haven't personally done the full 5-day pouch test, but I've heard good things about it. When I start to get off track I do a version of a re-set where I go back to Protein liquids for a few days just to get that good restriction back and flatten my tummy out. I always feel so much better when I'm sticking to the plan ....physically and emotionally.

I also have been seeing a therapist weekly for about a year and a half now to work on the underlying causes of my eating issues. That has helped tremendously and I know for certain I would not have been able to keep the weight off without addressing these issues.