Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery + Time Off Work

Just curious how long people were off work for after surgery.

Hi. I'm an extremely busy self employed hair stylist. I'm 60 years old. I scheduled myself off work for 4 weeks, as I'm on my feet sometimes 12 hours a day, especially during the hair holiday rush! I'm 2 weeks out of an uncomplicated rny with a gastrectomy, gall bladder removal, hiatal hernia and umbilical hernia repairs. I'm just starting to really get antsy and bored, but I will do nothing to jeopardize my recovery. This surgery means the world to me. I still get tired easily and I also need time to get used to this pattern of Protein, Water, Vitamins, Introducing new foods, exercise.

When I go back it will be on an extremely shorter schedule for another 2 weeks. I will extend my hours as I feel I can do longer hours.

My clients are wonderful and have been with me on this journey since February. They are fully understanding of this and are so cooperative.

I don't see how people on this site are back to work in a week or even two. I feel so for them. You will need this time off to heal. This is a major surgery even though its done laproscopically. You will need this time off to wrap your mind around the changes. If you are able take the TIME!????. Good luck!!

My doctor recommended five to six weeks. I took five and worked from home one week. Many people are very fatigued until about six weeks out, due to healing and the rapid weight loss.

I had my surgery 10/21 and returned to work 11/16. I had sleeve to RNY revision with hernia repair. I couldn't have gone back in two weeks like some people do. I was still in so much discomfort. I have a desk job. I went back last week still in some discomfort but more than that I was exhausted in bed the first day back to work by 7 pm. I get up at 4:15am. I am just now starting to feel like my normal self and I am 5 weeks post op today.

I work a desk job in customer service. I had my surgery just over a month ago on a Wednesday and was back at work the next Monday. I was up and walking immediately in the hospital, climbed stairs the next day, and almost no pain at all. I didn't have to take the pain and nausea medicine they sent me home with either.

I would have enjoyed more time off because I was very tired and lost my energy quickly, but that's all the vacation time I had available.

Everyone is different in their recovery.

I have two jobs and was out 2 weeks. I was ready to go back sooner than two weeks but my surgeon wouldn't release me until then.

I took a full six weeks off, not only to heal but to adjust to the new plumbing. ????

I'm 6 days post op, and planning on being off until December 19th, a total of 27 days. I work 8 hours a day as a desk jockey, err, 911 dispatcher. I feel like I could probably go back to work now, honestly. I'll update as I get a little further into my leave though.

I was out for 2 weeks before I was ready. I did go in one day after a week out of boredom but left after a few hours due to being exhausted.

I took 4 weeks off, pain ended after 2 weeks. Energy level has been the biggest challenge but otherwise good. I had surgery on 10/02 and will be returning to work 11/02.

I had my surgery on 10/26/15, as soon as I was fully released from my surgeon with no restrictions, I went back to work. Roughly 5 weeks, but I do a lot of lifting over 15 lbs

Edited by maryann~arreola

I stay at home; however yesterday 9 days post op; I was feeling great and (was tired of looking at some rooms that needed cleaning /makeover)

I'm pretty sure I overdid it as I now have pain and a lot of discomfort in my lower abdomen.

I also have only had one BM in 9 days so that could also be the culprit. Still trying to figure it out; but certainly hoping that I didn't cause any damage during my boredome driven cleaning spree yesterday.

I stay at home; however yesterday 9 days post op; I was feeling great and (was tired of looking at some rooms that needed cleaning /makeover)

I'm pretty sure I overdid it as I now have pain and a lot of discomfort in my lower abdomen.

I also have only had one BM in 9 days so that could also be the culprit. Still trying to figure it out; but certainly hoping that I didn't cause any damage during my boredome driven cleaning spree yesterday.

I think you'll be fine. I overdid it about once a week for the first few months. The second week out I went to the gym with my wife and I caused 2 incisions to split open and started bleeding all over the place. One thing that I figured out was when I need to stop to eat or rest.

Mike_s

Thank you for the reassurance!! Btw I had a healthy BM this morning, yet I'm still sore internally (lower abdomen) but not the sharp pains like yesterday. I will make 'every attempt' to listen to my husbands advice to take it easy; but def easier said than done!