Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bowel Movements post surgery - not just the first one

Hi everyone,

So, it's an icky question, but I'm going to ask...

I have no problem passing wind - that's fine. The fifth day after surgery I had really horrible watery diarrhea, but it's now 11 days post surgery (so nearly a week since my last BM) and nothing doing.

I'm still on nourishing liquids only until Friday, so my theory is there's probably not a lot in my intestine anyway - I'm assuming the majority will be going through my bladder, but 6 days is a long time when you're used to every day or at least every other day.

Other people's experience would be lovely to know!

@@Originalityplus - I would contact your doctor if you feel uncomfortable (constipated). I was told to not wait too long (being constipated) as it would make matters worse.

But I tend to feel the same as you. There is a lot of liquids you consume those first few weeks post-op that probably do pass through your bladder vice your intestines.

That being said, now the issues post-op is bouts of not being able to go because I do not eat as much veggies. I was told I could use Miralax - my new bestie :D

My doctor starts his patients on a 30 day course of colace from day 1 in the hospital. I had my first BM on day 5 post op. It was small and harder than normal, but it was to be expected. I did not have a pre-op liquid diet, just the usual NPO the day of surgery. My first food stage was Full Liquids, so mostly shakes, tea, broth. After my initial BM I managed to have 1 every day since. By 6 weeks out they were pretty much back to normal but only once a day. Now I go anywhere from 1 -3 times a day, but on avg twice a day. I am vegetarian so my diet is naturally high Fiber. During the Full Liquids stage I would add spinach to my Protein shakes. I was also eating Soup made from Beans pureed, strained and thinned with vegetable broth. I've never been constipated or had diarrhea.

Hi, I struggled for a while post-surgery (it was on 8/17) and I took an over-the-counter Miralax which was recommended by my NUT and surgeon. It worked. For a while, because I was only having liquids and soft foods at first, I was very irregular. I did not like it. So I used Miralax and stool softeners about 2x a week to assist the process. I had some very PAINFUL issues, so it really helped. Now that I'm on regular foods and eating more veggies, I haven't had any issues. If I do though, I would take the Miralax again in a heartbeat. I also heard that "smooth move" tea is highly recommended and you can get it at Walmart. I haven't picked it up yet, but I plan on it. Some people swear by it - drinking a few cups a week to keep things moving. I'm going to try it. I'm sure things will improve day by day but if you find yourself in pain or feeling really lousy from being plugged up call your doc! Best of luck.

I am not having that problem. But they mentioned it in our pre op classes and said to call the doctor. Most likely they will give you a stool softener but call first to see what you can take. Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks lovely people! I think I must've been fixating Coz what'd ya know, guess what happened this morning all by itself?! :)

Will def keep the hints for solids though- I'm from Australia, so do you know what the active ingredient in miralax is? We don't have it here, and people seem to swear by it.

Thanks lovely people! I think I must've been fixating Coz what'd ya know, guess what happened this morning all by itself?! :)

Will def keep the hints for solids though- I'm from Australia, so do you know what the active ingredient in miralax is? We don't have it here, and people seem to swear by it.

The generic is polyethylene glycol. Good luck!

My absolute biggest problem post surgery, has been the Constipation. I will be 4 months out next week. Sometimes it is so bad and painful, I almost went to ER. I was told to stop the benefiber, take milk of mag and miralax two times a day. OK did that and yes it helped, but then what. I have had a healthy BM one day, but then do not go again for 3-4 days and we are back where we started. I do not want to live on laxatives. They do not recommend taking a stool softener daily, but I have been, as it seems better to me then living on laxatives. Some people have said a year out, it does not get better, yuk. Good luck to all.

@@sbg224 - get some flax powder or psyllium powder. Add a tsp to yogurt, applesauce , etc... each day. Make sure you get all your fluids in. It will help regulate. Try to get some fesh veg or fruit in at least once a day.