Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had this repaired during the sleeve surgery 11/5. Other than some pain in my chest area where the incision was, I had no symptoms up until a few days ago. I have a sharp pain near my right shoulder blade which comes and goes. It mostly comes at night preventing me to sleep. My surgeon's office said to take advil or motrin; narcotics are ineffective. Well, the advil isn't helping much either. The hydrocone seemed to help more. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in 2 nights. Any suggestions?

@@gsusser - are you sleeping a little elevated?

Which part of my body, haha? I sleep on 2 pillows and on my "good" side. It's not only at night. I've been at the office sitting at a desk for an hour and it's killing me. I took 2 Advil but that only took the edge away.

I also had the Hiatal hernia repaired. I think it gives me more pain than the surgery. So you are lucky if it hasn't been too bad. When I swallow anything but especially when I take meds it hurts for a few seconds like I have been stabbed. It passes and I'm ok.

I was told to sleep elevated some. And make sure the bites are very small until it heals.

I hope yours gets better and if you gets any advice that works please send it forward.

I also had the Hiatal hernia repaired. I think it gives me more pain than the surgery. So you are lucky if it hasn't been too bad. When I swallow anything but especially when I take meds it hurts for a few seconds like I have been stabbed. It passes and I'm ok.

I was told to sleep elevated some. And make sure the bites are very small until it heals.

I hope yours gets better and if you gets any advice that works please send it forward.

Thanks for the tips.

I went to the doctor today and met with one of the RNs. It turns out he had the same procedure for hiatal hernia. He says there's basically nothing you can do but let it pass. He claims everyone reacts differently, to no discomfort to moderate to severe discomfort such as mine. They gave me a script for vicodin but he's correct, it doesn't help all that much.

I wonder if this is common occurrence for overweight people.

Unfortunately, the pain has only worsened. It's 8 days since the onset of discomfort and just over 4 weeks after surgery. The only thing that seems to help is standing and maneuvering my position or walking. Or a narcotic for a few hours, but I that's not the solution. I haven't had a decent's night sleep since it started. I don't know how to sleep elevated. Like you (mccraven), swallowing is no bowl of cherries, haha... I'm talking scrambled eggs and tiny nibbles. The x-ray showed nothing out of the ordinary.

Okay, so I'm a crybaby. I was okay with the after-effects of the sleeve surgery and all the other discomfort. But this pain approaches an 8 or 9 at times and has me begging for mercy.

When will it end?

I had a hiatal hernia repaired and have found it so much easier to breathe since the surgery. The post op pain is still there of course but I have no way of knowing whether the pain is from the sleeving or hernia repair.

I had the hiatal hernia repair as well. From day one I had constant pain in my chest. I was told it was gas but it just kept hurting. About a week after surgery I talked to the nurse when she called and she told me to go to the hospital to have a CT scan. The scan showed that my repair had just settled slightly out of place and the pain was from inflammation in my chest. I'm about 3 weeks out now and the pain has totally gone away.

I had both a hiatal & umbilical hernia repair during my sleeve surgery (yes, I was a mess!). It took about three weeks for all the weird twinges and uncomfortableness to go away. Sometimes I will turn a certain way and feel a little reminder that I shouldn't whip around so quickly. I'm five weeks post-op today and feel great.

I had a visit with my surgeon last Thursday. She does not believe the hernia is the cause of the pain. She says that because:

1. The pain is only on my right side - she says it moves from right to left.

2. I have nerve issues, which is very scary - I find it difficult to use any force with my right hand and occasionally my arm is numb.

Has anyone had these symptoms with a hiatal?

I have an appointment tomorrow with an orthopedist she recommended.

I was put on a spasm med for my hiatal hernia that they fixed during surgery...seems to be working...and it is getting better by the day.

Edited by Steph Anie