Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Canadian around? pre- first appointment questions

Hello everyone,

I have a lot of questions! But in general I would like to know from a canadian POV for the waiting time.

I have, (exacly 2 years and 1 month wait), finally been called back to meet with a surgeon next month (!!). So I have general questions about all the procedure with public hospital and all.

1- After the first appointment what happens next?

2- approximatly how long until surgery?

3- should I start loosing weight now? (my appointment in dec 11th)

4- what do you suggest me to do?

At the moment morning and noon I am taking a Protein powder shake (with fruits, multi Vitamins, fiber)

Overall I am very excited to meet a doctor, 3 years ago I lost 150lbs -ish (went to 220lbs) and I regained it all and I am now back ay 380-390lbs. (170lbs gain :( ) I walk a lot (I do not own a car and I walk to work) and other then being morbidly obese I am pretty healthy for a 31yrs old woman.

So right now I just want to know what should I do before meeting my new surgeon whee so excited!

Where in Canada are you? I'm in Ontario and those I've talked to had theirs done within 8-18 months from start to finish.

I just had my referral put in so I'm at the very beginning.

I am in Ontario and my timeline was:

October 2014: Attended mandatory information class (3hours)

September 2015: First in office appointment. Met with Social Worker and Nurse. They cleared em for surgery.

October 2015: Met with internist, had bloodwork, x-ray and gastroscopy.

November 2015: Met with a surgeon from the program. Booked for surgery about two and a half weeks later and my surgery date is Monday!!!

I am in Quebec, all I did so far it fill in the application 2 years ago.

Wow that is a long time wait! I haven't heard about the information class yet, I am assuming I might hear about it later unless Quebec fonctions differently.

I am crossing my fingers that everything will go smoothly and not wait another year or so ...

Ontario here also.

I had my first meeting at the Bariatric clinic in Sep of 14, and my surgery is Dec 18/15. So 15 months total.

I was told it would be between 12-18 months when I started.

I'm in Ontario and have been a non-surgical patient at my clinic for around 8 years. When I made the decision in January 2015 I booked in - I couldn't make the Jan or feb info sessions so didn't do that step until March. I had my next appointment in May and the Nutritionist and behaviourist appointments on Sept 1st. My mandatory pre-surgery class was in October. I met with my surgeon in November. My surgery was booked for December 16th and I started my 3 week Optifast diet on November 26. Pre-op visit and admin check in on Dec 3 and now surgery next week.

I think it went so quickly for me for a number of reasons:

1. I had a track record of weight loss efforts

2. I had implemented the behavioural changes - good diet, caffeine free, diet soda free, etc

3. I had quit smoking (6 years ago)

4. I had been seeing a therapist for over 5 years and had dealt with emotional issues

5. I was certain this was my path

6. I always said yes - to every appointment, challenge and directive

7. I checked in often for cancellations

8. I reminded everyone on the team that I was hoping for surgery as soon as possible

9. One morning a researcher called to ask if they could take a biopsy of my liver, muscle and fat during surgery and I said "yes, as long as participating in your study doesn't delay my date" - within 2 hours she called me back with my date because she had a cancellation and thought of me.

Be positive, honest, enthusiastic and polite with staff - it makes a huge difference.

I'm in Ontario and have been a non-surgical patient at my clinic for around 8 years. When I made the decision in January 2015 I booked in - I couldn't make the Jan or feb info sessions so didn't do that step until March. I had my next appointment in May and the Nutritionist and behaviourist appointments on Sept 1st. My mandatory pre-surgery class was in October. I met with my surgeon in November. My surgery was booked for December 16th and I started my 3 week Optifast diet on November 26. Pre-op visit and admin check in on Dec 3 and now surgery next week.

I think it went so quickly for me for a number of reasons:

1. I had a track record of weight loss efforts

2. I had implemented the behavioural changes - good diet, caffeine free, diet soda free, etc

3. I had quit smoking (6 years ago)

4. I had been seeing a therapist for over 5 years and had dealt with emotional issues

5. I was certain this was my path

6. I always said yes - to every appointment, challenge and directive

7. I checked in often for cancellations

8. I reminded everyone on the team that I was hoping for surgery as soon as possible

9. One morning a researcher called to ask if they could take a biopsy of my liver, muscle and fat during surgery and I said "yes, as long as participating in your study doesn't delay my date" - within 2 hours she called me back with my date because she had a cancellation and thought of me.

Be positive, honest, enthusiastic and polite with staff - it makes a huge difference.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, show the staff that you're ready and willing to commit to the changes you have ahead and they'll get you booked in as soon as possible.

I changed my diet and exercise habits the day my family physician made the referral.