Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie-- question(s)

Hey guys! I'm not sleeved just yet. Actually, I'm just now starting the journey by even considering it.

I have a question! Does anybody know what the effect on the body is of such little nutrition, in the long-run? I've heard that it's about 1,000 calories a day. Is that healthy, once you reach goal?

Also, I'm terrified about regretting my decision. I've heard a lot of horror stories. But I'm 23 and 289 pounds, so I know I need it. It's just a lot to take in....

Welcome!

I don't know where you get the idea that we will eat 1000 calories a day for life.

Yes, initially post-op calories can be very low, but that is as we heal from surgery and cannot physically consume much.

I am over 6 months post-op and still losing and I eat more than 1000 calories a day most days. I eat at least 100 grams of Protein a day, eat healthy carbs and fats, drink at least 64 oz of Fluid, and take Vitamins and supplements. I would even make a bet that my nutrition is much better than it ever was pre-op.

I anticipate that once I reach my goal and start maintaining, I will be able to increase my calories somewhat.

As a sign in my surgeon's office says: it's about nutrition and not calories.

Part of the pre-op preparation and clearance should include nutrition counseling. I recommend that you start making a list of questions to ask your nutritionist and your surgeon as you go through the process.

Best of luck.

Get to an informational seminar. Ask questions & take notes. You need facts not rumors.

at 6 months I am eating over 1600 calories a day and still slowly losing. My doctor wants me at 2000 calories after another 5 pounds. Go to a seminar and then a consult with a doctor. The internet is full of horror stories as the 99% of us that are doing just fine don't have a lot to say other than this surgery was extremely helpful in reaching my healthy body weight. Think of the nightly news, they never say, "everything was just fine today" and sign off. Best of luck to you.

Thank you everybody. I'm trying to learn more so that I'm NOT going off of rumors. I haven't even had time to schedule a free seminar, yet, but I definitely will.

I will start by saying congratulations! I am always so thrilled when I see guys and gals in their 20's looking into this already. To have the opportunity to make this change so young, is probably one of the most exciting situations to be in. with the exception of a few, the majority of people on this forum would say the number 1 regret was not doing it sooner. Obviously everyone's journey is different and you have to be at a certain point in your life to start looking at this as an available option. I agree with the posters above, make a list of questions, ask them in person and on forums like this. Read as much about as many different aspects of this. BUT, remember, sort through all of the info and figure out what you need to take away from it and discard the rest. There is so much info out there, many different conflicting reports and stories. Do your best to not fall into the trap of believing everything. The other great thing about being so young when you go through this, your body should recover quicker and most likely will have less chances of adverse side effects or complications. Best of luck. Get the answers you seek and keep asking, searching, reading and talking. You'll be so happy you did.

I am 26 months out and I average 1200-1500 calories a day. I've been at goal for 8 months. If I go over those calories I gain and if I go under that I slowly lose. Also, in the long run low calorie diets are actually linked with higher longevity. If you look at the Blue Zones of the world, places where people regularly live to be 100, they eat far fewer calories than we do, but usually of higher quality. Also, they don't tend to eat much meat, which isn't overly helpful when we're focusing on Protein. In the long run though, 1000 calories a day is perfectly healthy, you just might be cranky- just because it's healthy doesn't mean it's fun.

I'm only in my fourth month post-op and my calories range from 800 to 1400 a day. The key is the Protein, as others have said, and taking the supplements. I have never felt more energetic or healthy than I have since the surgery. I wouldn't have believed I could survive on this few calories, but I have all the energy I need and a better attitude about food.

Good luck in your research.

Hi I am not sleeved yet either and am new to this . I am getting a lot of mixed emotions from my family . They are trying to scare me out of it . Feeling so confused ! I have my appt with the nutritionist December and also my psych appt in December. Not sure if I should reschedule or continue on my journey with the sleeve .

Get to an informational seminar. Ask questions & take notes. You needs facts not rumors.

She's asking here. Isn't that the point of this forum?

Hi I am not sleeved yet either and am new to this . I am getting a lot of mixed emotions from my family . They are trying to scare me out of it . Feeling so confused ! I have my appt with the nutritionist December and also my psych appt in December. Not sure if I should reschedule or continue on my journey with the sleeve .

Sorry to hear that you are not getting great reactions to this. I had a couple friends who poo poo'd the idea, but not in a way that made me question my dedication to it. I can understand why some might not feel elated that a friend or family member is going to have this surgery. But, that said, I also cannot see a reason for someone who has decided to do this, to back out because of somebody else's opinion of it. There are so many points and counter points. Some say that it is too dangerous and a major surgery. But those people may not realize that without the surgery or weightloss, a knee replacement, hip replacement or long term diabetes can be just as serious. I am not saying that you shouldn't pay attention to them, but I hope you also realize that some of them may know very little about any of the possible procedures or what type of dedication it takes to be successful. The surgery does not make you eat right. It does not tell you to go exercise. You still have to do the work. My Sister-in-law said that I need to try harder. She herself is morbidly obese. I told her that I get no bonus points for how I lose the weight, I just have to lose it. Since my surgery, she keeps telling me how great I look and that she is glad I am taking it seriously. Best of luck, hang in there, stay the course.

I am guessing that the horror stories you hear are not from people who had a bariatric surgery with complications, but from someone who heard someone whose cousin read about someone whose aunt had a complication.

We have had bariatric brothers and sisters who have had complications - and you can read about them on this forum, but it is a chance I would take again. The truth is that you take a risk every time you get out of bed. You might fall down the stairs, or set the house on fire in the kitchen or get bit by a rabid dog if you go outside.

I had a 26 year old nephew who died in a car wreck on Saturday. He had no idea that Saturday was going to be his last day on earth. Staying in bed would not have been a guarantee of a good day. He could have choked on his Breakfast or a plane could have crashed into the house.

You can't let other people hijack your personal decisions about your health care. Besides, once you get it done, they can't undo it. All they can do is gripe while you get healthy. I know that my sleeve saved my life, as I had already had one stroke due to my weight and high blood pressure. It was a chance I was willing to take because I was eating myself to death anyway.

Doctor's and hospitals don't make money if they maim or kill their patients. My insurance required my surgery to be done at a hospital which is a Center of Excellence. Educate yourself as much as you can, and then do what you have to do. Hugs from Chicago.

If you want my advice, keep the appointments. That way, you will be closer to a surgery date if you decide to get the sleeve and/or armed with more accurate information if you are still not sure.

You do not have to decide anything today. One of the reasons the process for getting approval for surgery has many steps is so you are able to make a very well-educated and well-thought-out decision.

One of the problems of giving too much weight to the opinion of well meaning and well-intentioned friends and family, is that unless they have gone through the process themselves recently, they tend to be ill-informed. Even people who had surgery 5 years ago may not know what it is like today.

Thank you for the support !! Hearing your gonna be bald or going to have loose skin and be worse off was not helping me ! So glad I found this forum

Thank you for the support !! Hearing your gonna be bald or going to have loose skin and be worse off was not helping me ! So glad I found this forum

Thats not all wrong actually.

You will have loose skin. And you'll be proud of it. It can get cleaned up later, either naturally by working out or surgery.

You are not going to be bald. But you may lose some hair for a little bit. It grows back eventually.

You probably won't be worse off. The chances of that happening are slim. But, YOU GONNA BE SLIMMER than those chances anyway ;)