Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSV goal for an article of clothing?

dlappjr

Have you ever picked out a piece of clothing or whole outfit that was not your size, but you liked it so much you bought it for when you can finally wear it?

I found this ordinary shirt at Dicks Sporting Goods while shopping for a few things. I was going from a 5xl to a 4xl and looking for Under Armor stuff for working out. I ended up not finding anything online, but while in their store, I found a 2XL Reebok 2 snap henley that, for whatever reason, just struck me as a great looking shirt. So I did what anybody would do when they find a shirt they love but don't make in their size. I bought it. It's still folded with its tags on in my dresser, waiting for the day I fit it.

so, have you done something similar?

I bought a size 12 pair of jeans at Old Navy years ago when I was trying to lose weight "on my own" pre-sleeve. Well, I still have the jeans and I am 5 pounds below my goal weight now and they still don't fit. The zip up and everything, but they just aren't the right shape for my butt. It's like the butt part is too short so the waist band dips down and shows crack. Guess I'll never actually be wearing those jeans.

Absolutely...and often! I only shop at consignment shops because I refuse to pay top dollar for clothes I won't be wearing long.

I just bought a pin stripe dress in size 14...holding it in the front of my closet door, with a couple other items, so I see it everyday. I tried it on last night and could get it buttoned, just a bit too snug still.

I've bought dozens of items for 'later'. Mostly things on sale or that I just really liked and knew they wouldn't be available later on.

@@dlappjr all the time. I can wear shorts or jeans to work. I am looking for marked down shorts or capris now for "later".

I bought two dresses in styles that I have always wanted to wear but was too heavy. They are the size I want to be in and I use them as motivation.

@@dlappjr, dear, sweet, naive, sheltered dlappjr. I'll wager that you'll find many, many women (not that I speak for all women) who've done it habitually through their lives.

Where shall I begin to speak for myself? Somewhere I have two pairs of super-nice pants for summer, one a tropical wool, that I bought at Arnold Constable, a department store. To give you an idea of how long ago I bought them, the Constable building has been home to the Mid-Manhattan Library, a facility of NYPL and diagonally across the avenue from the lions, since 1970. Can it be? Shoot me now.

Where shall I end? A few weeks ago I ordered online a few clearance sweaters to put aside until such time.

We won't even touch the intervening years. It's not as though I still have everything I ever bought too small. Much has gone to clothing exchange. The classic pieces, that is, nothing outdated. The just-purchased sweaters are the first such items in a very long time. Along the way it hit me that there will always be clothes that make my heart sing in the stores; leave them there until such time...

I want to know when you wear your henley.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

"It's like the butt part is too short so the waist band dips down and shows crack. Guess I'll never actually be wearing those jeans.:"

Take a look at Duluth Trading site, they have henleys & other shirts with longer tails for 'plumbers crack'...

Long ago I had the manditory 3 sets of cloths....too small/never will fit again; too tight/maybe I can somehow wedge into them; and "huh, this many XXXXs just CANT be my size".....

in any case, in the wonder-months after my own Band so long ago, I started jettisoning those old things by the box load.

Favorites I held on to despite the 'too-tight blues'. Odd thing happened....suddenly, I was too SMALL for most of them!!!

Stuff I'd had for years, just waiting to get back down to what I was sure I'd never 'go over'....etc.

The dream was complete with the discover they make whole STORES than somehow don't even HAVE a "XXXXX" section to be found!

I swim and lately my arms and shoulders have been freezing, so I have been looking at long-sleeved rash guards. I just bought two. They are both real surf-wear (one is O'Neal and one is Dakine). The O'Neal is an XL and the Dakine is L. I am currently able to squeeze into the XL. I was thrilled, because I haven't been able to wear anything that wasn't plus-sized in years!

Take a look at Duluth Trading site, they have henleys & other shirts with longer tails for 'plumbers crack'...

Someone told me about Duluth Trading years ago when I was grousing and fuming about workmen's and other men's slovenliness. The shirts are great for them, but, I don't recall Duluth having women's sizes that serve the purpose.

The catalogue has lots of fun stuff otherwise. An entertaining browse.

I do this all the time but now as I am nearing my goal I have slowed my roll.

I really love those little jackets and tops that have the thumb holes in them. My hands are always cold as am I so when I started shopping for them I was excited.

Of course at the time I was still in an extra large and the really cute ones only come in small, med, and large. I bought the large and although I could squeeze into it at the time it was really snug everywhere. I hung it in my closet and it has been there ever since.

That is until last week when I pulled it out and was able to wear it comfortably for the day.

Of course I have found many of those types of jackets since and I have been wearing them for about a month now.

My next purchase will be a size 10 jeans, my 12s are starting to get very loose but I am sure the 10 will still be snug.

If and when I get rid of all this loose skin, I will probably be into a 8 maybe?

I am fearful of buying anything in that size thinking I may never get there.

I am actually happy that I am cold all the time. I always liked to layer and wear sweaters with shirts underneath. But I would always sweat and that made me self conscious. Now I can layer two long sleeved shirts and still wear a jacket or sweater at work. While I have gotten some newer shirts and workout clothes, I have purposely stayed away from jeans. They are a huge expense. I now wear a size 44-46 waist. I am still rocking my 52" waist jeans. I am short so all of my pants have to get hemmed. With 5 pairs of jeans at $50+ and an additional $10 per pair for hemming, I am ok cinching my pants with my way too ling belt that I have to keep adding holes too. Glad to see I am not alone. Its nice to have small things like certain outfits to look forward to along the journey.

Someone told me about Duluth Trading years ago when I was grousing and fuming about workmen's and other men's slovenliness. The shirts are great for them, but, I don't recall Duluth having women's sizes that serve the purpose.

The catalogue has lots of fun stuff otherwise. An entertaining browse.

They do have that sort of shirt and many other clothing items for women. It's been many years since I've seen the catalogue and I think the women's has been expanded since.

Yup, still lots of fun things, but, alas, no longer Lincoln Logs. They also discontinued the construction-worker doll long ago. He was about Ken's size and was dressed in work clothes and had a tool belt, tool bag and other accessories. I wanted one so much, but thought it would be foolish to order. Sorry I didn't.

I love clothes and fashion. I held on to a lot of clothes that I am enjoying getting back into because they were designer things or just too pretty to part with. My favorite thing is wearing my heels again. It just got too uncomfortable to wear anything over an inch wedge or heel. Now I'm back to wearing my 3 inch heels and loving it!

I think it's a better reward than splurging on something food related.

I am short so all of my pants have to get hemmed. .. Glad to see I am not alone.... Its nice to have small things like certain outfits to look forward to along the journey.

You're not short. You are perfectly respectable adult height.

You are never alone. You are being watched as you read this.

It certainly is.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch