Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve failure?

Has anyone felt like maybe their surgery didn't work? I'm only two weeks out, but I have heard a lot of sleevers start to worry it didn't "work". I'm wondering if it's because they hit a stall with their weight loss. When does that usually happen?

@@M&S - stalls happen without WLS. IMHO its just a fact that your body tends to level out and therefore you stall...

Yes and Yes. I did feel like it didn't work. The first couple weeks I was very hungry. Then about 3-4 weeks post op I hit a small stall. Now at 3 months post op I am in a real stall. The kind where you don't lose any weight for weeks, not days. It gets better! Keep at the plan!

I think my sleeve was crap for like the first 6 weeks. Sure I wasn't hungry but weight wasn't falling off either, then everything changed. It is hard in the beginning and emotions run high. Give it time.

Maybe because I started at such a high BMI but I was never hungry in between meals. In fact at first I was making myself eat or drink. Then I went through a period when I wasn't interested in food at all. I only weight monthly so I've never stepped on the scale and not shown a loss. The only significant change was in the beginning the weight loss went back and forth between big numbers and smaller numbers. 14mths out and I am pleased as punch with my sleeve.

I am hungry most of the time. I'm trying different ways to make that slightly less distracting than it currently is and I am determined that I'm not going to let it sidetrack me. But yes, there are days when I wonder if they took the wrong half of my stomach and left me with the side that creates the hunger hormone! :)

CJ

I think a lot of people have that worry in the early weeks. You are on liquids and as long as you aren't having problems swallowing, they pass straight through so you feel like you have no restriction. Plus you still feel a lot of head hunger, because you haven't learned that you can't eat like you used to. You see a pizza commercial on TV and you want pizza RIGHT NOW. Even though there is no physical way you could actually eat it.

As for stalls, it is VERY common to have a stall around week 3. It's even called the "Week 3 Stall". There are lots of posts about it. Stalls happen. The key is, stick to the plan. As long as you stick to the plan, eventually the scale will start moving again. Sometimes it just takes the body a little time to adjust and adapt.

Through this whole process, patience is vital. There will be MANY times when you are frustrated and anxious and the only "cure" for whatever is bothering you is time. The scale never moves as fast as you want it to, but eventually you will get where you are going if you stick to the plan.

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the weight loss process. If you intend to lose a large amount of weight you are going to experience stalls.

Just focus on following your plan. Get in all your Protein and fluids, take your Vitamins and supplements as directed, and exercise.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I don't like the term "sleeve failure".

The sleeve doesn't fail us. We fail the sleeve.

People automatically assume they are going to lose all their excess weight right away. We didn't gain it overnight .... It was from years of eating wrong. It isn't easy all the time. There are times it is still hard. However you have taken the first big step of acquiring a new tool to help you. Use this tool to buid your goals and dreams. It gets easier and better each week in my opinion. Don't give into head hunger!

Hunger all the time and stalls, try eating more than you should and see how much of a sleeve failure you get :D . I bet you will know very quickly it is other things you are going through other than the sleeve failure :)

. Glad you don't like it

After reading here and there from other sleevers, I was asking if it were as common as it appears. Trying to prepare myself. I'm two weeks out and down about 13 pounds. Walking a lot and starting with puréed foods now.

. Glad you don't like it

What? I wasn't being a smart ass. I was just pointing out that the sleeve doesn't fail...the person attached to it does. If we work our plan and stick with the basics 90% of the time.... IE Protein first, minimal starchy carbs and processed crap and sugar, drinking plenty of Water and moving more, it will work for us.

Too many people rely too much on the tool, as opposed to actually working the tool. Unfortunately, it won't always be as effective as it is in the beginning. That's when our good eating and excersise habits that we've (hopefully) cemented early on will really help get to goal and keep it off.