Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Instragram and "coming out of the closet"

Hello awesome people. :)

Since I began this journey in January of this year, it's been an absolutely wild ride. I've had some huge changes both with my body and my life, and triumphs I never thought I would see. Through all of my hard work, i have pretty much point blank refused to tell most people in my life, let alone "go public" with it. I spend a lot of time with social media and I've seen firsthand how ignorant, judgmental, and downright cruel people can be about wls and the people who get it or want to get it. I'm sure many of you have witnessed this as well... "weight loss surgery is the easy way out", "people who get weight loss surgery are lazy and undeserving of praise", etc. At best, people simply don't know much about it and have preconceived notions that are hard to change. At worst, people outright hate and name-call because they have problems of their own and take it out on others.

Positivity has been one of my main weapons during this battle to reclaim my body. Exposing myself and my struggles to people was far too much of a risk for me, and I don't regret not telling most people.

However, I've recently been having a (very uncharacteristic) desire to share my progress, hardships, and everyday tips with people who could use them, either for inspiration or ideas or whatever reason. I realized that I would have been so much less brave and confident going into it without the help of people who have shared their own stories and ideas. I want to contribute to the "next generation", so to speak, of wls patients. I want to give back a little to the amazing community that has done such wonderful things for me.

To that end, I've decided to make an instagram. I'm still a little nervous about showing my progress in a place where I could be found (which is silly... people in my life saw me when I was 440 pounds and they see me now at 320 and they will see me later at 170, maybe below) but even just making the account and posting my first two pictures is sort of.. liberating. I found a picture from my highest weight that just astounded me. It baffled me. It saddened me. Then I put it next to a picture I took a few days ago and seeing them side by side made me feel like being so open will be worth it if it helps even one person who has suffered and struggled that way I have and am.

So, people, I would love to make new friends! If you don't have an instagram, I would highly recommend you think about making one, even just as a place to document your daily progress. You can make it private or for only friends, and you can follow other people who are wls patients or hopefuls, or exercise gurus, or anything, really.

I would also like suggestions for accounts to follow, if anyone already follows some helpful people.

here is my page: https://www.instagram.com/belly.laugh/

I really look forward to making new friends. :)

Kristen Renee.

She has been a guiding force in my journey. She is so amazingly positive, inspiring, up-beat and candid that she makes anything WE could be going through easy to get through.

https://www.instagram.com/kristen_wls/

https://www.instagram.com/kristen_rb/

And her YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMH_2xy_V9NpXqYcfTBOY5Q

Mellie May.

She is another great person! She is easy to relate to, understand, feel inspired by and get great ideas from.

Her Instagram handle is mellie.may

and here is her Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYSpwzYZVMq2DWYaEY6otXg

I have yet to find the courage to get back on Facebook or Instagram. I suspended both accounts a month before surgery and still can't see a big enough difference in my weight loss to "come out of the closet."

Kudos to you! You are brave, beautiful and inspire many of us.

@@Ashlegal thanks very much! I love mellie may, and I will definitely check out your other recommendation. I'm not brave enough to "come out" to most of my friends and family but I find coming out to strangers to be empowering and inspiring. But I appreciate the compliment. Hope you had a lovely thanksgiving. :)

Belive me, I know what you mean. I started a YouTube channel as well to document my progress and help other people since YouTube videos by Mellie Mae and similar helped me to take this life changing journey.

While I do agree it is kind of scary, we all need to not care about what people think. As selfish as it is, this journey is about us!

I'm at the beginning of my journey, and will start the 12 week classes on Dec 1st. I'm anticipating my surgery to be in March or April. I find watching everyone's journeys a huge help. I really like these mentioned and have followed you Cervidae and Sean as well! Thank you so much for sharing!

Edited by MarieD

I need an Instragram. I'm 30 going on 80, I don't understand technology lol. I'll join in a few days and add you!

@@Learningtolive see ya then. :)

If my phone had a front facing camera I would totally do the cool thing and be on instagram with you awesome ladies also I don't get the social aspects of the site like I do Facebook or YouTube if someone would be kind enough to explain it to me that be awesome ????

Will join you on Instagram! I am still shy to share with friends about my endeavor simply because I fear that some might want to "rain on my parade" for whatever reason. I am looking forward to a positive support system online! Merry Christmas!

If my phone had a front facing camera I would totally do the cool thing and be on instagram with you awesome ladies also I don't get the social aspects of the site like I do Facebook or YouTube if someone would be kind enough to explain it to me that be awesome

It's similar to Facebook in that you follow whatever pages you want and then can scroll through a feed of content from those pages. The difference is it's mainly for images, and it's only usable on the phone. It's meant to be a mobile image sharing app at its core. I like it because it's well-designed and simple to use. Give it a try! And be sure to tell me your username so I can friend you. :)

Hello awesome people. :)

Since I began this journey in January of this year, it's been an absolutely wild ride. I've had some huge changes both with my body and my life, and triumphs I never thought I would see. Through all of my hard work, i have pretty much point blank refused to tell most people in my life, let alone "go public" with it. I spend a lot of time with social media and I've seen firsthand how ignorant, judgmental, and downright cruel people can be about wls and the people who get it or want to get it. I'm sure many of you have witnessed this as well... "weight loss surgery is the easy way out", "people who get weight loss surgery are lazy and undeserving of praise", etc. At best, people simply don't know much about it and have preconceived notions that are hard to change. At worst, people outright hate and name-call because they have problems of their own and take it out on others.

Positivity has been one of my main weapons during this battle to reclaim my body. Exposing myself and my struggles to people was far too much of a risk for me, and I don't regret not telling most people.

However, I've recently been having a (very uncharacteristic) desire to share my progress, hardships, and everyday tips with people who could use them, either for inspiration or ideas or whatever reason. I realized that I would have been so much less brave and confident going into it without the help of people who have shared their own stories and ideas. I want to contribute to the "next generation", so to speak, of wls patients. I want to give back a little to the amazing community that has done such wonderful things for me.

To that end, I've decided to make an instagram. I'm still a little nervous about showing my progress in a place where I could be found (which is silly... people in my life saw me when I was 440 pounds and they see me now at 320 and they will see me later at 170, maybe below) but even just making the account and posting my first two pictures is sort of.. liberating. I found a picture from my highest weight that just astounded me. It baffled me. It saddened me. Then I put it next to a picture I took a few days ago and seeing them side by side made me feel like being so open will be worth it if it helps even one person who has suffered and struggled that way I have and am.

So, people, I would love to make new friends! If you don't have an instagram, I would highly recommend you think about making one, even just as a place to document your daily progress. You can make it private or for only friends, and you can follow other people who are wls patients or hopefuls, or exercise gurus, or anything, really.

I would also like suggestions for accounts to follow, if anyone already follows some helpful people.

here is my page: https://www.instagram.com/belly.laugh/

I really look forward to making new friends. :)

Hey just added you my name is bsweetness on IG

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Cervidae - Just sent you a follow request - jmill72. Hope you don't think I'm stalking you! I just really identified with your reply to me on my fear and desperation post and have found your other posts to be equally inspiring and very much like me. Wishing you continued success!