Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanksgiving is the day dedicated to giving thanks. Here are some of the things I’m thankful for this year.

I’m thankful for my lap-band. It got me my life back, and it has let me keep my life. This year, I had it re-filled after some time without it and a bit of regain, and I am so thankful to have this tool.

I’m thankful for my kids. They’re what I live for, and I am so grateful to be able to watch them grow up.

I’m thankful for every BariatricPal member. You keep the boards going and make it possible for me to continue to help weight loss surgery patients everywhere and at every stage of the weight loss surgery journey. Thank you!

I’m thankful for BariatricPal, from the discussion forums to the new store. It is such an honor and pleasure to make a career out of my passion of helping weight loss surgery patients, and it is so rewarding to see our growth.

I don’t think this topic ever gets old. When we actually list out what we’re thankful for, it reminds us to actually feel thankful. Also, seeing other people’s lists helps remind me of some fo the things that make me grateful.

So, what are you thankful for this year?

I'm thankful for my whole support system at Highland Hospital, including the surgeon, all the nurses, the people who helped me through my surgery safely, the people who run and attend the awesome support meetings, and that one greeter who helped me to decrease my considerable anxiety on the day of surgery.

I'm also thankful for the amazing friends and family that have supported me, cheered for me, helped me in so many ways. I didn't tell many people about my decision to get wls, but the people I did tell have been above and beyond incredible to me.

I'm thankful for my boyfriend, who has been so kind and helpful, it's unreal. From holding my stupid drain when I took a shower so I wouldn't snag the tube on anything, to carefully measuring and preparing my food for me when I was too exhausted or in pain to do it myself, for always being on my side during this difficult, though rewarding, journey, and for loving me simply and intensely without any reservations or hesitations, through every step on this path. His love and support of me is a major contributing factor to me even getting the surgery in the first place.

I'm incredibly thankful for the members of this site, and the site itself, for being there to comfort me, laugh with me, suffer with me through everything from severed relationships and cruel people to not being able to poop, and Celebrate with me as I've lost almost a hundred pounds since joining. They've given me tips and perspectives I would not have gotten anywhere else, and for that I am very grateful.

Last, but not least, I'm thankful to my body. It's been broken in some ways for many years, but has never failed me, and even now as I type this, it's patiently chipping away at the "extra me" that was making me sick. I've put it through so, so much - an eating disorder, untreated PCOS, severe anxiety and depression, disrepair when I felt like I didn't even deserve the effort it took to take care of myself, and even a suicide attempt and many years of self harm. Through all of that abuse, I still have a defiantly strong, beating heart, and the ability to move into this new, healthy chapter of my life that I never dreamed would even be possible for me.

This time last year, before I had even looked into surgery, I was prepared to die young and suffer both physically and emotionally until that happened. I was utterly miserable, hated myself, felt unworthy of love or care or happiness. Now I can honestly say that I see hope for my future. I've been given the most fantastic, incredible gift ever - life.

Thankful doesn't even begin to describe what I feel. ^_^

Have an amazing Thanksgiving, everyone/Alex!

Let's see...so much to be thankful for. I'm Thankful for my employer, and the health insurance they chose to offer their employees, where bariatric surgery is not excluded! I am thankful for my skillful surgeon, who made my sleeve surgery such a non-event! I am thankful for my 86 year old Mother who, even though she fought me about my decision to have the surgery, has stood by me every step of the way, and is my cheerleader! I am thankful for my husband of 27 years (in 11 days) who has put up with every crazy diet, whether it cost thousands of dollars, or came from a $5 book, and supports me to this day, by finding different ways to cook meat. :) I am thankful I found Bariatric Pal. I am thankful I chose to stay on Bariatric Pal, so I could get to know some really crazy wonderful people. And I am thankful that I wake up every day feeling even better than I did the day before! Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

This is a tough time of the year for me. While I do have things to be thankful for, my ex wife turned both my kids against me, they now both detest me and we no longer have any communication. That one issue overshadows any and everything I might be thankful for.

I live a hard life, little money, but I have worked hard to turn my life around, and for the ability to do that I suppose I am most thankful.

But the loss of the love of one's children is not something you get over.

Don't feel bad for me, enjoy your holiday season. I will get through mine as I always do, as quickly and quietly as possible.

I should also mention I am thankful for you, Mr. Brecher. Had I not read 'The Big Book on the Gastric Bypass' I do not know if I would have had the surgery. It was well written and technical enough that I felt confident in the procedure. I guess I could even go so far as to say you helped save my life. In addition I am thankful for these forums and the wonderful people here, always so full of loving, caring, helpful advice.

I can't believe I am saying this but... I am thankful that it has taken 9 month before I am finally having surgery (which is tomorrow!). I was able to lose 67 pound on the preop diet which makes me much more healthy as I do into surgery. I was also able to emotionally prepare for this life changing event. I am not nervous-- just very excited. I feel like I truly understand that this is a tool and not a magic fix. I know I need to be following the plan and also forgive myself if I make a mistake...I know I need to immediately hop right back on and not make excuses.

I am so thankful for BP. I learn so much from everyone. This is my support system and I hope to continue getting support but also being a support giver as I continue on this journey.

I am thankful for each of you.

@MarciaN Best of luck tomorrow!

I'm thankful for my family. There was a time when I'd put friends before family, but for me, family is the one that has weathered every storm with me. Friends have never been a constant in my life. Though, I've made a multitude of 'virtual' friends thanks to boards like Bariatric Pal and a few other forums I'm a part of.

I'm thankful for for my career and job. Its flexible so I never have to worry about taking time off for me or for family, and it covered my surgery, and follow up care an minimal costs to me. I'm thankful for discernment-- it allowed me to make the best decision for me at the best time for my life.

I'm thankful that, though I carried more than 300# for more than half of my life, my joints are in good shape and I can run, walk, exercise, whatever without issue. I'm thankful I never developed diabetes and have lessened my chances of doing so.

I'm thankful for employer who supported me in taking time off, for insurance and short-term disability, and the incredible care I received in the hospital. I'm also thankful I had no complications and am experiencing steady weight loss.

I'm thankful for my family who showed me they will always be there for me when I really need someone, even if others flake out.

I'm thankful for my dogs who bring so much joy into my life and make me laugh.

I'm also thankful that I have a good job and can support myself.

Thanks, everyone. Thanks for being part of BariatricPal!

Winklie, I hope things turn around for you. It sounds like you are working very hard to make the most of what you have. Thanks for the kind words! I truly do want to help and I am so glad when I hear that I have been able to in some small way.

MarciaN, congrats on your pre-op weight loss, and good luck post-op!