Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay so I feel like I can't talk to my doctors or family about what I'm feeling so I need to vent to you all.

I'm just over 6 weeks out. I have lost 22lbs. I'm happy with my weight loss so far but I crave EVERYTHNG and have since day 1. According to my surgeon I'm not supposed to have any carbs or sweets for the first 12-18 months. I get that this stuff is bad for you, really bad, but if I had self control to not eat those things before surgery then I would have done it.

I just thought that after surgery cravings and this hunger would go away. I am trying to tell myself that as long as I stay on track 90% of the time that it's okay to have a "cheat day" or even a "cheat meal" Once a week. I'm really fine during the week its just the weekends that get me. Does anyone else feel like this? I just need a little break here and there.

I don't want to admit it to anyone, but I sometimes regret my decision. :- /

The head hunger and cravings were very intense early out for me too. But I held firm, and at nearly four months out I can tell you that it definitely gets easier. Just try taking it one day at a time. Don't beat yourself up for past transgressions, but work towards getting through one day, then two, then a week without cheating, and so on. The end rewards are so worth the sacrifice.

This honeymoon period is when it'll be the easiest to stay strong, the hope being the further out you get the more your body gets used to eating healthy and the easier it will become to fight back against the cravings.

You can do this!

Every time you cave in for a cheat meal it makes it harder to stay on track the next week.

Before long your intervals between cheat meals will become smaller.

Once you kick the sugary carbs they won't kick back.

Those cravings have got to be rough. I don't know how much Protein you are eating or how many times a day, but perhaps drinking some fairlife milk between meals or a Protein Bar might help curb the hunger and get you through the day. You also might want to talk with your nutritionist to go over what you are eating and get your diet tweaked.

I suspect this is more about head hunger and not real hunger given you had the sleeve. It is likely not possible for you to actually feel real hunger at this point. If you think you are actually hungry try drinking Water. Many times dehydration gives the same symptoms as hunger

Given this is likely head hunger, means you reall need some help getting your head around this. Have you considered a therapist?

It should get better but as someone already pointed out this is probably the cursed head hunger as there is no way on a ketogenic diet you will crave carbs. I am one week out and I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love some sweets myself but I am certain it is only because I can not ahve them as I was not much of a sweets person before.

In the past, when I did Atkins (high fat and Protein, low carbs) my carb cravings were totally under control. I think the fat helped and we are missing the fat in this diet. But when I allowed myself a 'cheat' that was it, off the wagon I went.

I second the idea of considering a therapist. If nothing else, everyone can benefit from one hour a week where someone has to sit and listen to you!

The head hunger and cravings were very intense early out for me too. But I held firm, and at nearly four months out I can tell you that it definitely gets easier. Just try taking it one day at a time. Don't beat yourself up for past transgressions, but work towards getting through one day, then two, then a week without cheating, and so on. The end rewards are so worth the sacrifice.

This honeymoon period is when it'll be the easiest to stay strong, the hope being the further out you get the more your body gets used to eating healthy and the easier it will become to fight back against the cravings.

Yes, don't give in!! Now is the time to forget that stuff and enjoy the "Honeymoon phase".

When I started to actually feel hunger, gas, and pain, it was confusing as to what it actually was. Sometimes I felt like I might be hungry but it was actually gas. Sometimes I thought it was gas but was hunger.

Also, like other have said, it may be in your head. I was so scared of dumping I didn't even try anything that had any bit of sugar for almost 8 months.

After a year, I know my limits and know when I want something I know I shouldn't have, I have a little and go on. The nutritionist told us it would be normal to desire something from time to time and its OK as long as you don't do it all the time or go crazy.

@jhammer2 It's a slippery slope, so just say "No" to cheat days! Instead, find alternatives to the foods you want to "cheat" with and you'll have a Win/Win situation. Here's one example ... I love pizza and life without it just seemed like it would be dreadful. Instead, I searched and researched and found a recipe that I tweaked to my own taste and voila - I get to eat pizza! It's bariatric friendly of course (the crust is made out of ground chicken breast) but it tastes super delicious. I now but the 3 lb. container of Perdue ground chicken breast so I can make 19 individual crusts at one time. They freeze beautifully and then I can have pizza within minutes. The cost, breaks down to about 60 cents per crust. I have other recipes for quiche, cheese cracker crisps, pudding and frozen yogurt bars. Let me know if you'd like any of them and I'll gladly share.

post-236324-0-63402600-1448980971_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-40318000-1448980985_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-22216700-1448980996_thumb.jpg

Please share, they sound delicious!

Yes, don't give in!! Now is the time to forget that stuff and enjoy the "Honeymoon phase".

This has been so true for me too. I had intense cravings the first month, but now at four months I rarely think about cheating, and haven't strayed once! It's nice not to have that albatross around my neck anymore.

Edited by The Post Op

Please pass along the recipe for the ground chicken crust, sounds wonderful!

That does look amazing. Thanks for the info everyone!