Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

stop the food funerals

my maintenence phase vacation meal of red velvet pancake and bacon, before and after..I filled up faster than I thought. Yes- there can be a VERY RARE splurge, no need for food funerals. Wish someone had told me this before hand.

post-261962-0-70883200-1447958843_thumb.jpeg

post-261962-0-08274000-1447958880_thumb.jpeg

I think some people have food funerals so they can justify one last food binge.

With few exceptions, most people can (only speaking for the VSG) can eat all of the same foods they did before. Just in smaller quantities and for certain ones, a lot less frequently.

no need for food funerals.

@@Tootsietoes

i know, i know, stop yelling at me :angry:

only kidding bud - i DID have a food funeral lite a crazy person

doc didn't have me on a pre-diet

i could have done it myself of course

that would make too much sense

so, i went crazy for those couple of weeks

gained 2 lbs too!!!

doc wasn't thrilled

but he luckly proceeded with sleeve

(i've heard some docs won't do WLS if you've gained, or didn't loose the amount they required)

kathy

Well now I just want pancakes! Thanks!

And there's always room for bacon....

Mmmmmmmmmm..

Bacon...

My NUT told me from day one that nothing will ever be off limits to me, but in time all things can come back IF you keep it in it's right place. Obviously if we are just like we did pre op, we'd end up right back there, but no need for funerals. Maybe a kiss goodbye for awhile, but not funeral! ;)

I guess the good news for me is that didn't even look remotely appetizing ????. Funny how things can change after surgery.

I too did the 'food funeral' thing before surgery. I know I will ultimately be able to eat small, occasional portions of whatever I liked before, but as I've progressed back to regular foods after surgery I've found that many of the items that were really appealing to me before hold no appeal now. For example I used to love a thick, juicy cheeseburger, but now would much rather have some grilled chicken or baked fish.

I was never a big sweets person, my attraction was to fried crunchy Snacks and high fat meals. I've found that the heavy, fat laden taste of these things holds no appeal to me now. Plus, I simply don't want to buy or prepare something so large that I can only eat a small portion of it so I naturally gravitate to better foods in smaller portions.

This reinforces what we all have been told - the sleeve is merely a tool... to be successful we have to change our thinking and behaviors. My surgery seems to have helped both of those.

I think some people have food funerals so they can justify one last food binge.

With few exceptions, most people can (only speaking for the VSG) can eat all of the same foods they did before. Just in smaller quantities and for certain ones, a lot less frequently.

So much THIS ^^^^

I didn't do food funerals. It was made very clear -- online and in my pre-op lectures -- that I could eat anything after surgery when I'd lost all my weight. I also couldn't see the point in gaining more weight prior to having WLS to lose a lot of weight. After all, most of us have overeaten all our lives -- been there, done that and have a lot of fat clothes to prove it.

What I have learned very well in the last 15+ months since WLS is that food is not my enemy. It's my friend. Without nutritious, delicious food life would be a lot less interesting. Obviously, it also wouldn't be possible. ;)

Since reaching my weight goal I do allow myself treats every day. BTW, I plan my daily meals, so I'm rarely in an impulsive, "whatever" mood about what I'll be eating each day. But I do drink and eat now wine, dark chocolate, Pasta, bread. But not all of it every single day. Mostly I eat Protein, colored veggies and whole grains. There are scores of things in those food categories that are delicious as well as nutritious.

To those reading this thread who haven't had WLS yet -- please don't gain extra weight with food funerals prior to surgery. They're really not necessary, since you can eat the food you love later, but in smaller portions which will feel like enough then.

If you do pig out pre-op you'll just have to spend another few months at the end of your weight loss phases before reaching goal. And believe me, by that time you'll really want to be done losing so you can start learning how to maintain your new, healthy, sexy weight and also invest in new clothes in sizes so small you won't believe it! :)

I was a lower BMI and self pay so I didn't have the insurance requirements to lose a certain amount of weight prior to my procedure. I did a food funeral and for me it was great and I indulged in the foods I knew I would not be able to have. I wanted to taste the flavor "one last time". I was able to complete my two weeks pre-op diet with no issues. I went to my 6 week post-op and down 30 lbs.

Edited by Cutepretty1

I did a food funeral, and I'm happy I did. In a way, it was similar to an actual funeral. It gave me a sense of closure, and it was a last rush of good feelings. It may not be for everyone, but I definitely needed it.

I'm one of those unlucky people that can't tolerate most food, so I'm happy I got to indulge in some of my favorite meals before going under the knife. Food and flavor was a big part of memories, joy, social gatherings, and interactions. It's okay to acknowledge its place in our lives.

I did a food funeral, and I'm happy I did. In a way, it was similar to an actual funeral. It gave me a sense of closure, and it was a last rush of good feelings. It may not be for everyone, but I definitely needed it.

I'm right there with you. I didn't so much binge, as I had what I viewed as a "last meal". Hot sausage gravy over a fried in butter egg and 2 biscuits. I can still taste it if I think about it. I have not tried a biscuit nor any gravy yet, but I have tried bread. It clumps up so bad it is an awful sensation in my throat. I now have no desire to eat it again. Better to leave it as a fond memory.

This was a good thread that I needed to read. I am doing a 2 week liquid diet right now to satisfy the needs of my surgeon, and to prove that I can do it. I will need to do it again for a week before surgery (still unsure of the date, but it is close) and for 4 weeks after. I am on day 2, and all I can think of is when I am finished these 14 days I want to eat a donair the side of my head lol. I am hoping that within these 14 days that my mindset will change and rather than having the food funerals I will continue with better choices. No point in taking some weight off with a liquid diet only to put it right back on.