Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to all the things!

Hi...

I hope this is the best place to introduce myself. I'm new to all of this stuff still, although I've been thinking about it since March or April.

I'm in the research stage, although hopefully coming to the end of it soon. I've been reading here, various clinic sites, studies, etc so that I'm as informed as I can be.

I've struggled with weight for my whole life... I was an Atkins success story around 2008, but that quickly turned to a nightmare turning the 120 I lost into a 160 gain. I hit rock bottom a couple of summers ago being diagnosed with type II and blood pressure so high they almost called the squad. The type II diagnosis scared the hell out of me... I have a family member who is so type II they have an insulin pump and eat what they want. That kicked me into gear and I started eating better and exercising. I was down 60, but I've put some of that back on due to several stressors in my life.

My diabetes is largely managed. My doc was happy with my progress, but I've not had much lasting success on the weight loss front. I made an off-handed comment to him "now if I can only get the weight off". His response was "Have you considered surgery?" Needless to say, after another couple of talks with him, here I am. :)

I'm leaning towards surgery... on paper it all makes sense. I just am trying to figure out if I'm trading one set of problems for a different set that are more difficult for me. I also feel a bit like I'm cheating... that I'm taking the easy way out. I know it's not, and that it's a lot of work.

Well, anyway, here I am, looking forward talking with everyone.

Hi and welcome!

I think you are approaching everything the right way. Do your research and decide if you are ready to make the lifetime commitment to a new way of life. As you probably know, surgery is just a tool. It will help you lose the weight that is causing your co-morbidities. That, in itself, makes it worth all the effort. But it is not something you want to go into half way. It is not an easy way out at all; in fact it is hard work and requires a lot of commitment. I have a friend who had surgery 5 years ago - lost all her weight, but gained it all back this past year from reverting back to old eating habits. That is just sad...

I had gastric bypass surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago. I have a history of heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type II diabetes that required tons of insulin every day. I chose to have the surgery because it can help reverse these. It has. I am off my blood pressure meds and currently only take a small dose of insulin each day. My endocrinologist tells me that my diabetes should soon be in remission. For me, that makes it all worth it!

There are lots of people on this site that have great wisdom; if you can't find an answer to your questions somewhere in the forums be sure to ask.

Good luck with your researching and your journey!

Welcome! I am also in the beginning of my journey. It took me a few months and a lot of research to decide I was really ready to commit to surgery and a new way of life. I am now excited for the next phase. Best wishes to you as you begin your journey!!

Welcome aboard, Allen!

I'm leaning towards surgery... on paper it all makes sense. I just am trying to figure out if I'm trading one set of problems for a different set that are more difficult for me. I also feel a bit like I'm cheating... that I'm taking the easy way out. I know it's not, and that it's a lot of work.

Well, anyway, here I am, looking forward talking with everyone.

While surgery can have it's problems, many folks have an uneventful postop course. The long-term consequences of diabetes are out there: kidney failure, neuropathy, retina issues, heart disease. Probably the most dramatic success with WLS is in the improvement in diabetes. I'm not diabetic, but my A1c isn't in the normal range, either. It's one reason I want surgery, I don't want to live the rest of my life with diabetes.

That's just my take on it, your mileage may vary. It's an intensely personal decision. You'll find friendly folks here, whatever you decide.

it's definitely not easy, and not cheating. surgery is a TOOL for weight loss. You still have to watch what you eat and exercise. So there is still a lot of work that goes along with it

good luck with your journey and whatever decision you come to. Personally I' had a great experience with the surgery. I had hit a moment of "rock bottom" with my weight and had a complete change in my thinking about food and weight loss pre op so now post op it's not as difficult for me as I feared it would be.

if you have any questions feel free to send me a message. I had the sleeve by the way

@@allenjf -- "I also feel a bit like I'm cheating... that I'm taking the easy way out. I know it's not, and that it's a lot of work."

You better smile when you say that, pardner. As one of our esteemed colleagues on this side of the aisle has already said, surgery is a tool, an aid. People who have surgery do all the same things anyone else does: Completely overhaul food choices, change eating habits overall, exercise, et al. On top of all that, we have surgery. (Yes, you tried to cover your tracks with the last sentence quoted. Pretty slick.)

It is a big decision and you're sane to do thorough research. If you haven't already, I suggest you attend the info seminar that bariatric practices conduct as the first step in the process. There's no commitment, but knowledge to be gained. As the session goes along, ask questions to clarify anything that's not absolutely clear. Also attend some of their patient support groups. They're open to explorers and beyond and another excellent opportunity to learn, ask and share -- the smaller gathering makes it possible.

Welcome! You are in the right place.

This is a great place to learn. Read, and ask questions until you are comfortable with whatever decision you make.

It took me a long time to come to the point of even considering surgery, but once I started learning about what WLS is like today, as opposed to old information and misconceptions, the more comfortable I became. By the time surgery day came I was ready to get it over with!

You have definitely stumbled on the best site ever.

All of your questions will be answered.

You're fears will be forgotten.

You will get excited for your long healthy future.

You'll have ___ surgery and you will succeed!

Your health issues will be a thing of the past as you'll never look back!

You will thank yourself everyday.

I wish you all the best and let us know how everything goes, whether you have one surgery or another or none.

Glad you're here on this site!

Hi and welcome!

You are definitely taking the right steps to get educated on surgical options for this disease.

I think the biggest learning for me was understanding that obesity is a metabolic disease. For those of us that have it, it is difficult to get it into remission without some type of intervention.

As you know from your Atkins experience, your body simply fights you every step of the way until you make permanent changes. This is why you lose weight only to gain it all back and then some. I did Atkins as well among other things, the reality is without the tool that helps you restrict food, that weight always comes back on over a period of time.

Weight loss surgery is far from the easy way out. You literally have to change your relationship with food and drink. The surgery simply helps make that process a little easier but the behaviors are still yours to maintain.

We fight for every single pound lost and maintained. We have to make better food choices every single day. We have to get moving and stay moving to maintain our new slimmer bodies.

I would spend some time understanding what obesity is and why/how people get it. Once you understand that, the decision becomes a whole lot easier.

You will learn to eat 3 meals a day and why that really is so important. Skipping meals sounds like a great idea but the reality is it actually causes metabolic issues. You will learn to eat good quality Protein and good carbs like fruits and vegetables. Your body begins to crave that instead of the garbage we used to eat.

Your new stomach helps you but you still have to make the right choices. Not easy at all.

Good luck to you!

Allen, congrats on taking the steps to make the best informed decision you can. I have learned quite a bit on this site and have found much sage advice worth following. One of my biggest lessons is learning about others' experiences and seeing if it applies.

So, let me tell you a bit of my story - I am now about four months out from surgery and thought about it for a while beforehand. For me the final straw was when I started having serious mobility issues. I could live (and had been living) with the high blood pressure and sleep apnea, but my size started interfering seriously with my quality of life. All possible solutions always began with, first you have to lose some weight, then...

After researching options with local docs, I opted for a sleeve. It has not been easy - no one who ever called it the easy way out could have possibly been through it! As many have mentioned, you have to change your lifestyle permanently. But the benefits are incredible. In four months, I con longer have high BP, and I no longer use a CPAP. I am walking, running, moving freely - no mobility issues at all. I fit in things I couldn't before. I am not limited by my fear of what I can or cannot do physically. It's a new life. There have been negatives and it isn't easy, but the upside so far outweighs any downside by far.

If you are committed to the change, it will come. Use the knowledge you can find here to inform yourself and I wish you luck whatever decision you make!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and for all the encouraging words.

And... @@WLSResources/ClothingExch - Don't worry... it's just the battle that goes on inside my mind between logic and emotion ;) . Working out going to the seminar :)

Hi,

I am also new and scared of surgeries but I really need to change the way of my living.

Diets and gyms seems really difficult to me.

But after reading your post I think your approach is really good and may be I need to do the same. :mellow:

I have my first appointment on the 10th Dec. I am 58 and my weight has always been a battle as I also have Hashimoto's ( under active thyroid)

I am leaning towards a gastric sleeve to stop me eating for energy. My disease causes energy level drops. I read somewhere that by removing most of the stomach it reduces issues with autoimmune diseases has anyone heard of this?

I just hope if I go down this way that my weight reduces and stabilizes for the first time in my life.

I have my first appointment on the 10th Dec. I am 58 and my weight has always been a battle as I also have Hashimoto's ( under active thyroid)

I am leaning towards a gastric sleeve to stop me eating for energy. My disease causes energy level drops. I read somewhere that by removing most of the stomach it reduces issues with autoimmune diseases has anyone heard of this?

I just hope if I go down this way that my weight reduces and stabilizes for the first time in my life.

Good luck! I hope it helps you.