Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guy's Room - Calorie target 9 months out?

Man, I can hit 100 grams of Protein a day sometimes, but not all the time or routinely like many of you guys seem to be able to do. OKCPitate, I think I will take a gander at your MFP just to see what I am doing differently.

I had my 9 month follow-up appointment yesterday. It went well I am glad to report, but there was a suprise as well. Nothing major, just unexpected. I am going to start another thread on that in a bit. Doesn't pertain to this discussion and I like to keep my threads relatively clean.

Man, I can hit 100 grams of Protein a day sometimes, but not all the time or routinely like many of you guys seem to be able to do. OKCPitate, I think I will take a gander at your MFP just to see what I am doing differently.

I had my 9 month follow-up appointment yesterday. It went well I am glad to report, but there was a suprise as well. Nothing major, just unexpected. I am going to start another thread on that in a bit. Doesn't pertain to this discussion and I like to keep my threads relatively clean.

I am able to hit 100-120g Protein by supplementing Protein2O (Protein Water), Isopure Protein drinks and at least 1 Lo Sugar/Carb Protein Bar per day. I know we should get as much of our nutrients from real food, but it is hard for me to hit 80g, let alone 100g+ without these supplements.

I know we should get as much of our nutrients from real food, but it is hard for me to hit 80g, let alone 100g+ without these supplements.

Ah, then that must be it. I am hitting my targets via food only. That doesn't mean I should continue to do so, I thought it was just better to do it. But seeing how others results appear to be better than mine currently, I am going to look into it.

i will be 4 months post op saturday. including pre op liquid, i've lost 142 to date. i average 650-750 cal, 75-85 g Protein, 20 g Fiber, and 96 oz fluids(mostly water) daily. i have 2 drinks i make daily: 1 T psyllium powder(better than the husks!) mixed w/ 8 oz lo-salt V-8, 16 oz Water and a couple dashes of hot sauce.

#2 1 T ground chia seeds mixed w/ 8 oz skim milk, 16 oz Water, and 1/4 c. blueberries in the blender. i do 60 mins. water aerobics(so-so knees) 3 X per week. am getting ready to add in weights and cardio machine(bike/elliptical)2 X. i don't feel tired, week, or hungry. my current loss rate is about 25 lbs per month. i try to have 1/4 c raw veggies with every meal. the 3F's Fiber, Fluid, and fitness are the key to keep um...THINGS...moving. great to hear from some GUYS!

@@DavidOso , That is amazing! Congrats on such a great loss. Even bigger congrats on getting in your Water and fiber! I wish I could hit that amount of fluids for the day. I am lucky to hit 64oz and that includes Protein water/drink, 0 cal Powerade or Vitamin Water and sometimes even 8oz of coffee in the AM. I only eat real food 3 times a day, the other 2 times I snack, it is usually a Protein Bar or a Protein shake. Even doing that, I have no wiggle room to cheat as far as calories go. Sometimes I think maybe I will have a little sweet treat or something and I look at my intake for the day and I opt not too because I am already tapping on my calorie limit for the day. I also don't consume many calories after 4pm. I eat a small Protein item as dinner, but it is usually less than 3oz.

Sneeze! Finally stall has lifted this week... Been stalled for well over 3 weeks and working my butt off. Dropped 4 lbs this week... As I said inches have been dropping galore but no weight for 3 weeks.. Finally a breakthrough...

Speaking of correct amount of calories... I have been putting artificial sweeteners in my coffee for the last night months. I want to mix that up and start using sugar as well. I am not really happy with all of this sweetener stuff. Do any of you use actual sugar? Will this added sugar hurt my efforts? I think not but I am not really sure.. What is your experiences as men. I usually have 2 cups of coffee per day....

I don't add sweetners to much, but if I have it has been honey still in the honeycomb. If I were to use real sugar, I would go for the unrefined stuff.

Speaking of correct amount of calories... I have been putting artificial sweeteners in my coffee for the last night months. I want to mix that up and start using sugar as well. I am not really happy with all of this sweetener stuff. Do any of you use actual sugar? Will this added sugar hurt my efforts? I think not but I am not really sure.. What is your experiences as men. I usually have 2 cups of coffee per day....

I use the flavored creamers(large amounts) and don't add any sugar other than that. I don't like artificial sweeteners in anything.

@@fly-high - I found vanilla stevia at whole foods. Works great. I also read about the health benefits of good cinnamon from Viet Nam, and I started using it too.

While browsing my threads, I saw that I never wrapped this one up. I mentioned my surgeons words in another thread, but not here. Allow me to quote myself:

He also said that I should be consuming anywhere from 1200 - 2000 calories! Woah there chief, not ready for that just yet! But I think I will go ahead and change my goal to 1500 and see if that changes anything.

So to conclude the original question of this thread; according to my surgeon, someone with my situation/circumstances should be eating anywhere between 1200 - 2000 calories. Still mostly Protein, but a far more casual attitude about carbs and fat than what I was thinking.

I'm shooting for 1400-1500 per day, and about 90g Protein with less than 80 of carbs.

At nine months, I've lost 100. I've been stalled for 8 - yes, 8 - weeks.

However, I've gone down two pant sizes in that time, despite being the exact same weight.

Stalls suck, because we desperately want to see the numbers decline.

But weight loss isn't linear, because our body doesn't want to lose that emergency reserve of calories.

So we go through cycles. Fat is broken down to replenish stores of glycogen in the liver. This is then used at a later date when we cross some biochemical threshold. Losing the glycogen results in weight loss. Breaking down fat results in changes in inches.

My own weight loss has been stair step in shape. What breaks the stall isn't necessarily something we do, we must just keep walking down the right path and it'll all sort itself out.

well from what i see, i am not in the norm, my daily caloric intake is between 600 to 800 and occasionally ( rarely) does it ever hit 1000. my Protein is about 80 grams and my carbs i keep below 30. i zero out my sugars as much as possible usually taking in less than 8 grams per day and refined sugars are a no no. but i haven't hit maintenance yet i have 6 pounds to go first. i use Protein powders liberally. i have a protein Mug Cake ( i have posted the recipe, easy and love it) for Breakfast and lunch and a very sensible protein based dinner. it has worked well for me so far. The Protein powder gives me high protein 30+grams , for 3 carbs and 2 grams of sugar, per cake. so that takes care of the bulk of my protein etc. i work out 6 days a week doing 45 minutes of cardio. i don't lift as im no looking to do any bulking or toning until i have lost what i came to lose. Im lucky in that i have a nut, who trains triathletes and ultra-marathoners, and so he is great at getting that lean body type i so want to have. ( id rather look like bruce lee, than say, Arnold S,) probably because ive never been thin and at 5'9" im a small guy overall. when i hit goal. i will start working more calories in from vegetables etc. still wont go over the 30 to 60 carb range though. no way im going back.