Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone????

Today I received a call from my doctor regarding my sleep study results.....and I guess I have sleep apnea now. This process is becoming stressful. Have anyone else completed their sleep study & got the same results? If so does that make it harder for approval?

It doesn't make it harder. In some cases it can make it easier since sleep apnea is sometimes considered a comorbidity. It is likely that your surgeon may want you on a cpap machine prior to surgery. Things like whether or not you have apnea are things your anesthesiologist need to know so they can better manage your breathing during surgery.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea during my sleep study as well. I was pretty sure I had it cos my sleep partner told me I snored like a buzzsaw and I knew I was having trouble breathing while trying to fall asleep. I am now on a CPAP machine and I LOVE IT! I used to get up twice a night to pee, now I sleep through the night. I have no problem falling asleep (now that I'm used to the machine) and I'm not exhausted during the day. My advice is take that diagnosis and run with it. As the above member said, it may make approval easier, your anesthesiologist needs to know, AND you'll sleep better. And don't forget, after the weight loss, you probably won't need it anymore. Good luck!

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea before deciding on getting wls but my quality of life is so much better with my cpap there are masks that just go over your nose called the wisp and pico if your a stomach sleeper like I am. Also I have uhc and my hubby has bcbs both list osa as a comorbidy

Same here.I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea...holding up my submission process but.I was approved so on my way to receiving a cpap machine.

I found out I had sleep apnea during my pre-op testing as well. The only downside was that I needed to show compliance by using it consistently for 30 days. This did push out my submission to insurance by a month which was a bummer. But on the plus side, I'm sleeping SO MUCH better now.

I have mild sleep apnea too. It took a long time to get used to it but i must admit, i do sleep better, as many of you have already said. I have to take it to the hospital, they said; so i will. My question is; when will i know i don't need it anymore? I don't want to have to go through a whole new sleep study for them to tell me i don't need it! I'm only at the "6" level now so i know it will go away once i lose some weight. Your thoughts?

My dr had me wear a pulse oxymeter overnight to see if a sleep study was needed. Unfortunately, the data from the pulse ox was enough for the dr said I definitely have mild sleep apnea. He wants me to have the full blown sleep study done so that we can determine just how bad it is and if I need to have a CPAP machine before surgery. I"m hoping I don't, but we'll see.

I am looking forward to receiving my cpap.The dr said to use it until I feel I no longer need it.

I had second part of sleep study done last night and I didn't do well with cpap mask... Only slept 5 hours & left feeling as though I failed some kind of test. I hope it doesn't affect my approval process. I have enough to stress over besides this. It all feels foreign and uncomfortable, anyone else have issues with the mask?

Most people who suffer from obesity actually have sleep apnea and don't even know it. It is very dangerous to not know it.

If you remember, Reggie White from the Green Bay Packers actually died from sleep apnea.

On a good note, it is considered a comorbitity and will help with the approval process.

On another good note, once you get through surgery and lose the weight you will likely lose the apnea too.

I was on bi-pap for the last 10 years. Now I can sleep even flat on my back without a machine and without waking myself up all night long.

Good luck to you!