Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was denied surgery, two months ago. I called my Insurance Company back and spoke with someone from the Bariatric Team and was told that I never should have been denied. My Family Doctor wrote a letter on my behalf, stating that Bariatric Surgery is deemed necessary for me. I will let you all know what happens next. I need to lose about 140!!!

I found out that I do not meet requirements for the surgery because I do not have a co-morbitdity no high b/p or diabetes at this time :-( my world is crashing down :-( I needed this so bad.

Maybe... but my insurance says the 6 months bmi over.40 and a comorbidity. Like diabetes, high blood pressure, both of which are.treated for1 year with medication, or pulmonary hypertension... if bmi of 50 it think it is automatic but I'm not at 50 :(

I called my insurance prior to attending my first seminar. It helped speed up my process and I knew exactly what I was required to do and for how long. The insurance company told me everything as far as how long my wait period qas, which was only 3 months w cap blue cross. I attended my first seminar, scheduled my Dr appt for 2 weeks later, my nut appt was a week after that and the appts just kept flowing, next thing I knew my wait was over and I had surgery on 9/1. You won't chicken out. It's the best thing I've ever done. Not mention I'm almost 50lbs lighter. I didn't have to lose any weight prior to surgery as my bmi was only 40 which is the minimum required by insurance. So call that insurance company and get the details you wot regret it.

I found out that I do not meet requirements for the surgery because I do not have a co-morbitdity no high b/p or diabetes at this time :-( my world is crashing down :-( I needed this so bad.

I'm sorry to hear this. I just saw this after I posted. I would appeal. Make an appt with the doctor and discuss it.

I have Aetna and was completely overwhelmed with the requirements. I had a 6 month diet option or a 3 month pre surgery get in shape kind of deal. I chose the 3 month plan. I kept logs and paperwork and in the end had to trust my dr office for all the fine details. You need to call insurance and get the policy fine writing that tells you requirements etc. I was approved in less than a week after paperwork was sent. My Drs office is great.... That is the key!!!!! Before you know it surgery is here! Good luck!!

Help! I've been approved and my EGD is scheduled for Dec 9 th. Scheduling will be soon I'm sure. For some reason I can't get a grip on changing! People talk about making some of the changes ahead of time. If I could I wouldn't be in this mess. Does anyone else understand? For years I've tried every possible diet but don't stick to anything long. I'm tired of being so trapped in my food addiction!

I'm new too. I didn't know what NUT was but found the site for explanations! My advice is to listen to your surgeon and ask questions. Remind yourself why you're taking this step. I agree it can be overwhelming but take it step by step. It is a process to make sure you're okay for the surgery plus mentally prepare you for it. I liked the preoperative liquid diet because I feel I'm in control and I can do this! So Can YOU! I did almost do same surgery 5 years ago, but wanted to try one more try. I lost a good deal, not goal, but I've gained it all back and then some. I am really ready now! BEST Of LUCK Dealing With Insurance. They have rules too, document, document, document everything they tell you to do!it will go by fast, really!