Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I am just beginning the planning process. I have Wellmark Blue cross blue shield Iowa via state employment. I am so afraid that I will get denied or that it will all get postponed until I chicken out.

I have been to the doctor occasionally for depression and thyroid monitoring but other than that I only have one supervised diet attempt and that was for 2 months only. I have tried several diets but none have been truely successful and long term. Any tips on getting started and seeing this happen in the next year?

Thanks!

Welcome Bug, I am fairly new myself, but there are tons of people here who have been there where you are or are currently going through. Being able to just browse and has been great for me. With regard to insurance, I can't say much because I am self pay, but good luck to you on your journey.

I'm a newbie too. Everyone here seems very knowledgeable and supportive.

What about thinking of your reasons why?

I'm scared of not being approved too but I won't know if I don't explore it.

12 months ago I was on my first month of 6 month period to satisfy insurance requirements. I weighed 335 lbs and took medication for high blood pressure. Today I weigh 213 and take no medication.

Here are my tips:

1. Try and learn as much as you can about the operation

2. Try to adopt the diet/lifestyle ahead of the operation as much as you can

3. Don't let the process overwhelm you

4. Learn what the steps of the process and then only focus on the next step

It can feel overwhelming when looked at as a whole, but if you break it down it becomes less intimidating. Best of luck to you!

Welcome! You are at the beginning of quite an adventure.

My advice?

Practice being both patient and persistent. Don't let the pre-op process discourage you, it really is designed to make sure you are as prepared as possible for a safe and successful surgery.

Learn as much as you can. Ask lots of questions, and if you don't understand something, keep asking questions until you do. My program gave me a three-ring binder full of information and I added to it throughout the process. It became my bible.

Document everything. Especially if you are having to deal with insurance, write down everything you are told and keep good records of any contacts you make.

Participate on this site. There is lots of information, inspiration, and encouragement. (There can also be drama and nutty behavior -- keep in mind that we are all at various stages of the process which can include exhibiting erratic behavior).

With the help of your NUT, start incorporating healthy habits into your routine: drinking lots of Water, eating mindfully, choosing healthy foods, and exercising. Weaning myself from carbonation and caffeine was very helpful.

Be willing to accept all the help you can get. Consider finding a good therapist or counselor, attend support groups (like a Bariatric support group sponsored by your program, a 12-step group like OA, and/or other similar support group).

I learned so much about myself, the disease of obesity, nutrition, etc. through this process. I bet you will, too.

Best of luck with your journey and keep us posted with how you are doing.

Welcome and congrats on taking your first steps towards weight loss surgery. Your apprehensions are very normal, and you'll probably feel that way right up to surgery day.

My advice is to research as much as possible. Take efforts to learn the possible bad outcomes along with the good. Be sure before you take the leap that you're willing to put in all the work necessary, mentally and physically, both as a pre op and a post op, to ensure you get the most benefit out of this remarkable tool. Your life is going to change big time, make no mistake.

For myself, it was worth everything I had to go through, including waiting an entire year. Now I'm close to three and a half months out from my RNY and I have zero regrets. I'd do it all over again in a second. My HW was 248, SW was 216, and today I'm 169. I feel like I'm 20 years younger, my health has been given a total reboot, and I'm not even at goal yet.

You'll get out of this experience as much as you're willing to put into it. Commit yourself heart and soul and you will never look back again.

Good luck!

As far as getting approved, I would say just be clear on what the insurance requirements are. As long as you meet the requirements you will be fine! And if you are denied, appeal, appeal, appeal! Good luck!

12 months ago I was on my first month of 6 month period to satisfy insurance requirements. I weighed 335 lbs and took medication for high blood pressure. Today I weigh 213 and take no medication.

Here are my tips:

1. Try and learn as much as you can about the operation

2. Try to adopt the diet/lifestyle ahead of the operation as much as you can

3. Don't let the process overwhelm you

4. Learn what the steps of the process and then only focus on the next step

It can feel overwhelming when looked at as a whole, but if you break it down it becomes less intimidating. Best of luck to you!

Welcome! You are at the beginning of quite an adventure.

My advice?

Practice being both patient and persistent. Don't let the pre-op process discourage you, it really is designed to make sure you are as prepared as possible for a safe and successful surgery.

Learn as much as you can. Ask lots of questions, and if you don't understand something, keep asking questions until you do. My program gave me a three-ring binder full of information and I added to it throughout the process. It became my bible.

Document everything. Especially if you are having to deal with insurance, write down everything you are told and keep good records of any contacts you make.

Participate on this site. There is lots of information, inspiration, and encouragement. (There can also be drama and nutty behavior -- keep in mind that we are all at various stages of the process which can include exhibiting erratic behavior).

With the help of your NUT, start incorporating healthy habits into your routine: drinking lots of Water, eating mindfully, choosing healthy foods, and exercising. Weaning myself from carbonation and caffeine was very helpful.

Be willing to accept all the help you can get. Consider finding a good therapist or counselor, attend support groups (like a Bariatric support group sponsored by your program, a 12-step group like OA, and/or other similar support group).

I learned so much about myself, the disease of obesity, nutrition, etc. through this process. I bet you will, too.

Best of luck with your journey and keep us posted with how you are doing.

Welcome and congrats on taking your first steps towards weight loss surgery. Your apprehensions are very normal, and you'll probably feel that way right up to surgery day.

My advice is to research as much as possible. Take efforts to learn the possible bad outcomes along with the good. Be sure before you take the leap that you're willing to put in all the work necessary, mentally and physically, both as a pre op and a post op, to ensure you get the most benefit out of this remarkable tool. Your life is going to change big time, make no mistake.

For myself, it was worth everything I had to go through, including waiting an entire year. Now I'm close to three and a half months out from my RNY and I have zero regrets. I'd do it all over again in a second. My HW was 248, SW was 216, and today I'm 169. I feel like I'm 20 years younger, my health has been given a total reboot, and I'm not even at goal yet.

You'll get out of this experience as much as you're willing to put into it. Commit yourself heart and soul and you will never look back again.

Good luck!

Very well said guys!!! I couldn't agree more.

Thank you guys so much. I'm just hoping I can get the doc to sign off on done of my attempts to decrease my waiting time. I don't want to chicken out

I'm fairly new my self but I am half way done my sixth month wait its gone by super quick I've only lost 4 pounds but that's 4 pounds I'll never see again. As for chickining out your gonna be fine once you go and meet your Surgeon you'll know your in good hands

6 months *

6months*

I was denied the first time by insurance and was told to meet with both my doctor and a nutritionist for 6 consecutive months even though I've delt with my weight issues for 6 years. I have had my thyroid removed as it was a reason for not becoming pregnant. So your story was very closely related to mine. Just hang in there. My surgery is in 6 days as I finished my 6 months in October. You can do it.

First and foremost, contact your insurance. Ask them if they cover Bariatric surgery. They may have their own requirements (diet period, doctors and hospitals that you must use, co-pay info). It's worth the 30 or so minutes of your time to do this. Your surgeon will need to know what your insurance requires so that he can work with you to meet the requirements.

My $0.02

Thanks guys! 6 months seems like a long time but I know it goes fast. I will send in paper work to the surgeon and go from there I meet with my PCP in 11/30 so maybe I can start my 6 months there

Honestly it does go fast I was so bummed when I heard I had to do the 6 month weight but meeting with a nutritionist really helped me and I feel I've developed better habits now that will help me in the future. Try to look on the bright side I do. Good luck and hang in there