Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking out/ feeling defeated (4 weeks out)

Okay so I might be overreacting but that's what this lovely group if for right? Tell me if something is wrong or if I am just being to hard on myself.

So I am starting my 5th week out today, my weight day of surgery was 297 and my current weight is 272.5. I started soft solid foods last week and have been following the doctors orders to a T (chew,chew,chew, take my time, small portions, drinking Water all day long, ect.), I do cardio for at least an hour and a half a day. last week when I started solid foods I weighed myself the first morning knowing the dreaded stall was coming and put the scale away weighing 270. then this morning I got it out to see where I was at and I have gained almost 3 pounds!? I know stalls are normal but I did not think i was supposed to be gaining weight at this point in the game yet. I am kind of taking it really hard on myself and feeling defeated like this isn't going to work for me, does anyone have any advise on what I might be doing wrong or what I can do to change it?

Thank you in advance!

Hi sorry you are feeling this way. Have you started working out? Trust me things happen during weight loss but don't let this time affect you so much. It's a learning process and slowly you will see results. You have lost some weight already so be proud of that! You are doing amazing.

step away

Perfectly normal. Weight loss is unfortunately not a linear process. There will be ups, down, stops & stalls.

You lost 17 lbs in four weeks. That's awesome! Now, keep following your program, and put the scale back in the closet. Honest. It is totally and completely normal for anyone's weight to fluctuate a couple pounds. Do not trip yourself out over this!

Thank you for your support and encouragement! It helps a lot :)

1) Menstruation?

2) Focus on doing what you should be doing and the rest will take care of itself.

3) If you think that losing 17 lbs in four weeks is defeat, well, let's see what I have in my bag of tricks for you? Here we go: Shut up and eat your spinach.

I'm happy now. Have been wanting to say that to someone.

Are you weighing yourself at the same time each day? This is the second thread I've read today in which somebody is freaking out about a slight increase on the scale. My go-to response is that if it is three pounds or less, stop sounding the SOS. That is easily accounted for by either Water retention (ironically caused by not consuming enough fluid), glycogen build-up, or just the fact that you weighed yourself at a different time of the day than when you got the lighter reading. Try and keep it consistent, and remember that your weight after a hard workout (if you are cleared by your surgeon) will be more consistent than weight after any particular meal (not too consistent from day to day).

This is going to happen to you constantly. Especially early out. If you are following your program, it's not actual fat being gained.

Even not early out, it still happens. I'm 15 months out, and here's how the last four days looked:

If I wasn't so used to this nonsense, it would drive me batty. But I know I'm following my program, so it's not really anything I'm doing wrong. Just normal fluctuations. And if you're going to be an every day weigher, you'de better get used to it :)

Thanks everyone! All of your responses have really reassured me that I am on the right tract, just have to stick to it :)

I'm nearly three and a half months out. I chart my weight daily and there's been more than one occasion that I've gained, or stalled and not lost anything.

Your body is going through a whirlwind wringer of changes. It has to have time to adjust along the way. But these gaining/stalling episodes will eventually be followed up by another downward trend. Stick to your guidelines and it will happen.

I know it's tough not to freak. Every time I've entered new territory I fret that I'll never get out of the 200's, the 190's, the 180's, the 170's, but guess what - I always do. It's normal to want to speed this along somehow, but no amount of emotional turmoil is going to make your body lose the weight before it's good and ready.

I gave myself a realistic year to reach my goal of 130, and going by that guideline, I'm more than well on my way. Stop the power the scale numbers hold over you. Start focusing on how far you've come, how good you feel, and how much better life is becoming!

What's not to love?

(That's actually an X-File quote. Extra credit for anyone who can name the episode!) ????

Weight gain is totally normal - I always gain about 2-4 pounds during my cycle, I gain Water weight if I eat certain things or gain/stall if change up my exercise routine.

And don't forget that fat also acts as a storehouse for things like hormones (like estrogen), so as you lose fat (weight) it is releasing tons of stored hormones back into your system. That can not only can that cause weight fluctuations, it can also make you feel moody and screw with your general well-being as well. But it is all perfect normal! ;)

Oh girl don't freak. Easier said then done I know. My doctor said as long as I am losing 1-3 lbs a week I was doing fine. I too was jumping on the scale constantly. I just made my husband hide it from me this morning. I literally have no idea where it is.

I will weigh in again once I hit my 2 month mark.

Also my Bariatric mentor told me to get a journal and document my journey. Every month I take body measurements and a picture. It's nice to see the inches decrease when you feel like the scale has stalled.

I started out at 298 and I am at 272, and. And I am 2 months out so you are doing a lot better than. I also found out today I have a gluten and milk allergy. So you just have to take it day by day. That's what I tell myself.