Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support group help

I went to see my doctor yesterday for my one year appointment. It went exceptionally well. Before I left my doctor and his PA explained to me that they have support group meetings on Tuesday nights. They stated that they had several individuals that were still struggling both physically and mentally with the surgery. They have both pre op and post op patients that attend. They asked me if I would be willing to lead the groups and talk about my success and that the goal is attainable if you allow it to be.

Now here is my dilemma. I was honored they felt I could help. But me, who has been successful in my journey with lots of hard work, going into a group with struggling individuals would that make them feel worse about their struggles and their journey? I feel like it would be going in bragging because I have been doing so well. But the doctors didn't see it that way. They believe that i can help the others see that this can work. That I am proof. THOUGHTS? I have posted my before picture, taken day before surgery last year, and my after picture that was taken Wednesday of this week. post-232531-14469234889881_thumb.jpg

It's a support group so hopefully the people attending understand it's not bragging but encouragement. Since the staff specifically asked you to attend they most feel that way as well. I think it would be a great idea for you to attend. Hopefully you can provide real life practical examples of how to survive post op life.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I have struggled with this so much since last night. I spoke to my husband about it at length last night and he agrees that I should do it. He stated that if I could help one person see the long term goal is attainable and to just allow it to happen then my presence was worth it. I just don't want anyone to feel worse about their personal journey of they are struggling so much right now. My heart hurts for each of them because we all know this journey we embarked on was a hard one.

I agree with your surgeon. Sometimes people are struggling because they have lost sight of what is possible. They may need help finding hope.

If you are honest about your experience and share your own story with compassion, you can be a tremendous inspiration.

@@kimmyco, to be honest, there is always that possibility that someone may take it as "bragging". However, I personally believe because it's a support group they need to SEE that they CAN reach their goals.

I am a very visual person. I am a perfect example of someone a year out who hasn't reached goal. I would love to see someone walk in and share with me their journey.

I say do it! If you helped one person, you have done your job.

Congrats to you.

Thank you so much Kathy. That certainly makes me feel so much better about going for it. That is exactly what my husband said last night too. I still have my journey to complete. I'm not at goal yet. But I am certainly proud so far.

When I went to the seminar before my initial surgeon consultation, there were a couple of ladies there who were one year post-op, and they shared their stories with us. It was good to see that this is something 'normal' people do, and succeed at, and if they could do it, I could too (I don't personally know anyone who has had WLS).

I remember feeling encouraged by their experiences, and thinking, "That could be me in a couple of years!".

Kate, same here. I don't know anyone personally that has had sleeve surgery either. A friend of mine had lap band two years ago. I chose a different path.

I agree you should give it ago. We don't have support groups here but if they did i'd love to see someone with a big before picture of themselves and standing there in the flesh as proof and an inspiration that it can and does work with some effort!

p.s. you look great in those jeans!

@@kimmyco

You sound like you are coming from a place of compassion. You have the experience of being in the shoes of a bariatric patient. I see it as you will have a greater impact on other patients. Absolutely not bragging by helping others wherever they might be in the process.

Seeing successful patients makes others get their butt in gear. I love the support groups. Absolutely do it. Everyone is there for the same reason. Some just need proof that this works. You are that proof. Congrats on all your hard work and success.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. I have decided that tonight I will be going to the support group. I am a little nervous since I don't do well speaking to a group of people. I want to help encourage as many I individuals as I can.