Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've noticed that, since my surgery, my tastes have changed. Things that used to be delicious just taste ok to me now. Did any of you experience this? Is this a common temporary thing, or is this pretty much how it's going to be?

Overall I'd say no. I'm more keenly aware of the aroma of foods which may turn me off from even trying it. Also sodium and sweetness stands out more to me now. But its not like I've *stopped* liking old favorites.

If I've stopped eating something it mostly because it doesn't have the nutritional content to justify eating it or its just too hard to eat/digest.

Very common. I was only one of a few DSers I know who didn't have taste changes (with me it's only been salt). Several people I know spoke of things just tasting "eh" where once they loved them.

I'd say most I know keep many of those taste changes. Some can go back to liking things they now find distasteful, but if I think back to all the posts I've read over the years, I still know people who won't drink coffee when they once loved it. Wish I could give a more definitive answer, but it seems to be a very personalized thing.

Edited by Postop

Pretty common, but you are still in a lucky cohort. My obsessions have been markedly reduced, but my general tastes for things are exactly where they always have been. I sort of feel like I am more or less like most people now, just a bit heavier. I love food and am very conscious of whether something tastes good, but it doesn't consume every second of my life like it did for much of this year before surgery. I didn't have a weight trigger for this decision, but the extent to which it was an all-consuming obsession and full-time job to satisfy hunger was enough for me.

I find sweet things taste even sweeter. I now only can bear 1/2 of one of those Water flavoring packets in a bottle of water, just seems so sweet and strong. Never really liked sweet things, candy etc so I am very lucky in that regard.

My taste buds have completely changed and most foods I find taste okay especially those I loved before.

I used to love, love, love Aquafina Water. It was the only bottled Water I would buy outside of using my filter at home. The day after surgery in the car road home I was given a bottle and yuck! It tasted like dirty water and left weird taste in my mouth. I thought maybe it was due to all the fluids, anti-biotics, pain meds and gas they pumped into me, so I thought I would try again in a couple of days. Nope, still gross. The same thing happened with Smart Water, Dasani and Arrowhead.

Only bottled water I can drink now is Fiji and Evian.

Weird.

Definitely noticing taste changes I continue to introduce more and more foods.

@@Ashlegal

I too can no longer tolerate Aquafina or Dasani. They both taste dusty to me. Smart Water too which used to be my favorite tastes funky.

The only Water I can drink is spring water.

Jibberjabber, I saw my nutritionist yesterday, and he sent me to this website - www.bariatriceating.com. I have been looking for a website like this, and was surprised I hadn't found it on my own. I'm not supposed to have bread/pasta/potatoes for 4.5 more months, but there is quite a bit on that site that I'll be eating very soon. Are you on a pureed or soft diet?