Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret, depression & anxiety

@@anna9/15

I'm pre-op so I can't really help with some of the feelings you are having, but I did notice that you are also concerned about going back to work at a call center.

Now that I can relate to. I know the amount of stress that you experience. I also understand limits on food and drinks at your station,. as well as breaks and meal times not always on time or shortened.

I'm sure this is also adding to your anxiety. Working in a call center is one of the most stressful positions there are. But the good news is, if you speak to a sympathetic supervisor, manager or HR person... they can help you get back in the swing of things. They can help support you.

I have had mental issues :huh: while working at call centers (2). I was super anxious to go back to work knowing that I had to place myself first in order to stay healthy. I received help from my supervisor and manager and I never expected it. They explained it top me this way....... the company had already spent a lot of money in my training and they knew it was a solid investment that has paid off. They felt that support would help me

I hope this makes sense to you too.

Anna, I don't know if you'll believe me, but you seem trapped in a false belief, that: Things will always be like they are now, early after weight loss surgery.

That is SO NOT TRUE.

Early on, no one can drink easily. Early on, no one can eat much. Early on, no one can eat a wide variety of food.

All of that changes over time. Over months. You just have to do today what you can do today. Over time, your stomach will continue to heal. You'll be able to drink more easily. Over time, you'll be able to eat a wider variety of foods and more of them. Over time, your appetite will even return.

So the error in thinking here is that what today is like is what your entire future forever more will be.

That simply is not true.

Anna, I don't know if you'll believe me, but you seem trapped in a false belief, that: Things will always be like they are now, early after weight loss surgery.

That is SO NOT TRUE.

Early on, no one can drink easily. Early on, no one can eat much. Early on, no one can eat a wide variety of food.

All of that changes over time. Over months. You just have to do today what you can do today. Over time, your stomach will continue to heal. You'll be able to drink more easily. Over time, you'll be able to eat a wider variety of foods and more of them. Over time, your appetite will even return.

So the error in thinking here is that what today is like is what your entire future forever more will be.

That simply is not true.

You hit it on the nose..i was jist thinking if i dont pack my lunch im assed out.cant stop at a fastfood spot and get a quick meal..but i was informed thats not true i would have to make wiser choices with those quick meals. .and always remember to keep Snacks and focus on protien

I haven't found any restaurant yet (fast food or otherwise) that doesn't have something I can eat. It is difficult when you are on full liquids, but once you get to soft foods it is much easier.

I haven't found any restaurant yet (fast food or otherwise) that doesn't have something I can eat. It is difficult when you are on full liquids, but once you get to soft foods it is much easier.

Me either i stayed home during that phase.

I felt the same way right after my surgery. I broke down and cried around day 10 and thought "what did I do to myself?!" Here is the good news - every day you get through will be better than the last! Then you will realize one day - Hey, I feel great! I am 8 months out and couldn't be happier. You really just have to get through the first couple weeks. Remember to drink your protien and Water. I had to take chewable Pepcid to control the acid reflux during the first couple weeks. Good luck and we are all here for you!

I felt the same way right after my surgery. I broke down and cried around day 10 and thought "what did I do to myself?!" Here is the good news - every day you get through will be better than the last! Then you will realize one day - Hey, I feel great! I am 8 months out and couldn't be happier. You really just have to get through the first couple weeks. Remember to drink your protien and Water. I had to take chewable Pepcid to control the acid reflux during the first couple weeks. Good luck and we are all here for you!

I have tums and extra dosage of medicine from doctor, as far as emotions theyre getting better with the help of some medications tho..its the panic attacks at night thats worrying me. .they want me on anti depressants but the side effects..well yikes

Anna, Tums are not very effective. Proselec, Nexium type drugs are much better at controlling reflux. Hopefully you have that under control but if you don't - tums might not be powerful enough.

I needed PPI drug for a couple of months post op, but haven't needed since, so this is likely very temporary.

Anna, Tums are not very effective. Proselec, Nexium type drugs are much better at controlling reflux. Hopefully you have that under control but if you don't - tums might not be powerful enough.

I needed PPI drug for a couple of months post op, but haven't needed since, so this is likely very temporary.

I have a ppi..but when i need something fast acting i use tumms

i hear ya. i'm almost 4 weeks post op and i did have a weepy regretful day last week. i have very bad acid reflux and have had gastritis for over 10 years. they fixed a hietal hernia in my surgery but it's still bad. i upped my omeprazole dose to twice a day. bought pepcid and immodium and i'm careful what i combine. it has gotten better and i have good days and bad but mostly good now.

hang in there. you are not alone. it is hard. but we can do it.

That is SO NOT TRUE.

That simply is not true.

One of my fears is being at work and eating something and getting sick or worse passing out

Why would eating something make you pass out?

It is difficult to transition to solid food, but if you are careful, eat slowly, chew well and don't push it - well most of us don't throw up. Has this been a problem?

It is difficult to transition to solid food, but if you are careful, eat slowly, chew well and don't push it - well most of us don't throw up. Has this been a problem?

I was reading about the dumping that may happen and some people pass out

And ive only threw up once.

Sleevers don't dump. The only people I have read of passing out are those not eating or drinking.

I was reading about the dumping that may happen and some people pass out

And ive only threw up once.

Okay, so if you worry about every little thing that could possibly happen, no matter how remote the chance, you are going to drive yourself crazy!

Dumping is mainly an issue for bypass patients, and even then, only about 1/3 of them dump. It's really really uncommon for sleeve patients.

Since I was a little kid, I've tended to have a weak stomach, get carsick, etc. I also have a ridiculously sensitive vagus nerve, and I tend to pass out for silly reasons. That being said, I have not had any problems because of surgery. I've only thrown up twice. Once was the day I came home from the hospital and tried to take my whole antidepressant for the first time in a coupe days on an empty stomach, which was just dumb of me. And the other time was just a weird combination of factors and was a fluke. Both times I was at home, no big deal.

I'm close to 5 months out from surgery, and I've traveled and have gone to plenty of restaurants. In the beginning, when I was introducing new foods, I'd try them at home first to make sure I could tolerate them. But at this point, I really don't worry about it. I just try to make good choices (i.e., not ordering deep-fried crap or chowing down on the bread basket). I've had food from Asian restaurants, Mexican, Indian, German, Italian, bar-and-grill type places, etc. I've spent a weekend camping out in the woods at a Revolutionary War reenactment and eating 18th-century-style food cooked over an open fire.

My sleeve has not limited me from doing all sorts of activities--in fact, it has made it possible for me to experience and enjoy life much more than I had been, because now I can physically do a lot more and am not tired and in pain all the time!

@@anna9/15, you have got to get some help... you got the surgery because you wanted a new lease on life, right? Don't let yourself spiral into this black hole of anxiety and depression! I say that as someone who also struggles against my own mental demons. Find a good therapist, and get on some meds (at least temporarily). When you're in the thick of a depressive episode, you lose sight of the fact that life does not have to be like this, that you don't have to be miserable, you don't have to be afraid all the time. But we are all here trying to tell you that it can be better--believe us!