Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

Hi all bandsters, I need your biggest help.....I have a friend who lives in Iowa Falls, Iowa, and he wants to know, where can he get his fills, since he and his wife had lapband surgery, and need their fills, if you could please help me on this, I will appreciate this big help so much!!....

i need to know, if it is bad to get another adjustment but with a diferent doctor?... what things i have to know, to xplain the new doctor? i think about to go with another dr. because the state where i was banded is a liltle far away... well i hope someone could answer, and sooo sorry for my english! thankS!

Analoren, it is ok to go to a different doctor. The doctor may use flouroscopy to find your port -- or myabe not. But yes, it is ok. You can tell him your fill history.

You'll need your operation reports and history to change doctors. You'll also need to find another doctor to accept you. I was banded in TN....then moved to FL....so had to switch! :o

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -85lbs :)

I just got my first fill onAugust 24, after being banded on November 29. My doctor actually inserted .5cc's when he put in my band. I talked my doctor into giving me a 2 cc fill, and I am keeping down very little solid food. I am toughing it out, though, because I am able to keep down liquids and I feel fine. I am now down 44 pounds-about halfway to my goal :rolleyes:

Diane--

I was filled a 2nd time and ended up on liquids for almost 1mo... I could keep liquids down as well....then I have slowly progressed...but the band is still VERY controlling at times!! Somedays wish I could have a smidge taken out....but most days happy losing the weight!!!

God Bless,

Melody

banded 3/20/06 -85lbs:)

I know there is a range of experiences and attitudes about fills. . . . . :rolleyes: and I error on the side of being under filled. But to me, just doing liquids for weeks seems to be a sever way to lose weight with the band and not really how it was intended to work.

Forgive me if you aleady know this, my motives are good , :D : But you do know that a band too tight can cause long term health problems like pouch dialation and possible slippage. (I had a slipped band so I know how painful that is and want to help others avoid it!)

I just want to say that you might want to be careful about being too tight, in case it causes you some problems in the long run.

Attached is some info I found useful.

Healthfirst....I agree!! I went back after 2 wks....I had lost 17lbs in 14days....wasn't keeping much down. He did flouro and liquid went through in 1sec....I watched too. So.....he felt that I had gotten into an ugly cycle of vomitting....swelling....etc. I didn't want it this way and did question him. But he got another opinion by another surgeon in the clinic. And they felt that I just needed to rest. And each time you put the needle in to put in or take out saline there is a risk as well....so I sucked it up and went on to take liquids and now I can eat again. But I TOTALLY agree.....too tight is miserable!! I haven't went back for another fill and it's been about 2-3mos. No rush here!!!

God Bless,

Melody

banded 3/20/06 -85lbs :D

Health1st--

Your doing AWESOME in a short time....

No it's not all the band....but I have MUCH too lose....so am glad I can see the progress and not get discouraged!! I still have to fight "head" hunger....that's my biggest battle!

God Bless,

melody

banded 3/20/06 -85lbs :D

Does Anyone Know Of Any Doctors In Nevada That Will Do Fills For Bands Done In Mexico? It's $1000 Each Time I Need A Fill And That Is A Ral Hardship.

Thanx

Geesh been on this site quite a bit and this is the first time I saw this. Thanks for sharing Penni....great stuff.

what are fills? what are slips? if the surgery is covered by your insurance are the fills covered as well? does the bands always erode? what is done if the band erodes? needed answers to questions badly!

I have a fill every month and my insurance so far has paid for it. 4 fills so far. No the band does not always erode, what a horrible thing if it did. Having a band is just a tool that may or may not help you lose weight. I have been banded since June 7th and have lost 26 pounds and had 4 fills so far. There are soooo many things to know when you are banded and I did not know all this until now. I read and done my research until I was blue in the face, but there are not things you will know until you are actually wearing a band. You will definately still have to excersize and watch what you eat for the rest of your life. I hope this helps and if you do get banded you will strive to make it work.

One thing I do know at the first of getting my couple of last fills I have felt restriction and certainly did not feel much like eating, I can say it is a wonderful feeling! My doctor says one day the fill will continue to stay that way and I can hardly wait and hope he is right.

Hey guys, i was recently banded in aug 2006. I had my first fill sept 20. I have not noticed a significant change in my appetite. My doc warned me to avoid breads at all costs. I am going for another fill oct 10. Hopefully I will notice a big difference. Is this normal to not lose alot of weight after the first fill?:rolleyes