Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 years ago today, I was wheeled into surgery...

Four years ago today I had no idea how my life was about to change. On October 28, 2011, at age 58, I was wheeled into an operating room in Frankfurt, Germany, and like many of the readers here, a big part of my stomach was removed and a huge hope for the future replaced it.

My hope for a healthier life — where I looked and felt better, had more energy, and could move easily — not only came true but far exceeded even my wildest dreams.

It seems only appropriate on this anniversary date that I look back on these last four years and tell others how grateful I am to have had this shot at such a magical life. I know there are still many people who read my blog who have not yet had the surgery, and it’s important to me that this might be the push they need. That this is not just another diet that will last a few months. I’m living proof that you can have this surgery and four years later live life as a normal-weight person without dieting.

You can read the rest here: www.queenofcrop.com

I hope everyone else has had as good of a trip as I have had. Thank you Alex and the forum for all the support along the way!

I feel like I know you after reading your whole amazing blog :) You are a huge inspiration to me! I can only hope I do half as well maintaining as you have.

Congrats on 4 years of your new life!

Congratulations!

It is so nice for a newbie(surgery date 12/29) to hear from someone 4 years out! You look amazing, of course! But your beautiful spirit just shines through your words. I'm going to start reading your blog ASAP.

I love your story and I plant to start reading your blog. You look fantastic.

I am 58 and was sleeved on October 12th. I also have a very fit and loving husband and he has never in 20 years, mentioned my weight, but I am sure it has been on his mind. I am only a couple of weeks post-op, but I already know that the sleeve is going to be a life changer for me. I hope that I will be as successful as you in reaching my goal. I weighed 221 on my surgery date and am now at 205, so I am happy with the start of my journey.

Continued good luck and good health to you.

Happy Anniversary Queen!

Happy Surgiversary, Queen of Crop. :)

Four years ... wow!

You rock. :)

Happy surgiversary! Like Babbs, I feel I know you too. Loved, loved, loved your blog, read it almost year ago & still highly recommend it to folks.

I KNOW you are enjoying life

I have just read part of your blog and I related to your story. My husband was so very unhappy with my weight although he didn't harp on about it. My health was really beginning to suffer with my right hip being replaced this time last year. I reckoned that it was only a matter of time before my arthritic knees followed suit! My cholesterol was creeping up to dangerous levels, my blood pressure was doing the same and my doctor was concerned about my blood sugar levels. Mind you, his advice was to try 'portion control'. Yeh....... right......... I was polite enough not to verbally or physically hit him!!!! As I live in the UK our National Health Service deem that I am too light to merit surgery (92kgs, 5'3" pre op) so I took matters into my own hands. My rock bottom came in June when I went to a reunion for a ballet company that I joined in 1976 when I was 19. I looked at the pics that were taken at the event and I felt so dejected. Everyone else was still sylph like but I was the lump trying to hide at the back. I knew that my husband and I couldn't afford the surgery privately in this country so I started to search the web. I eventually found what I was looking for and at a small town in Belgium I was sleeved three weeks ago today.

I have been told that I have an addictive personality and have so far managed to give up alcohol and cigarettes but no matter what I did food seemed to have a stronger hold over me. I just couldn't find the 'stop' button for my stomach. I used every excuse to overeat. I tried every diet, all sorts of 'diet' pills, and when I was still a working dancer I used to go (regularly) to a very accommodating doctor in London's Harley Street who would dish out speed to enable me to lose 14lbs in three weeks! However, over the years the yo-yo dieting has taken its toll and I've ended up as a blob. I love cooking and baking but I also enjoy eating the results. My husband, like yours, has the physique of a thoroughbred racehorse and can eat for Britain if he wishes. Not that he does.

I cannot begin to describe just how happy I am to have made the decision to have surgery. I feel healthier already. I walk our dogs for at least an hour and a half every day and even managed two long walks a couple of days ago and clocked up a distance of six miles between the two. I intend starting to swim again soon as I hopefully won't be so embarrassed about the roll of blubber flopping around inside my swimsuit by my bikini line as it should have shrunk enough by then!

I'm still on a liquid diet (amazing how inventive you can be with Soups and smoothies) and I'm really looking forward to going onto mushed up meals. I'm not missing the hungry gannet that I used to be one little bit. My only regret is that I didn't have surgery years ago and that I left it until now. Whoever said that life begins at 40 obviously didn't get to the age of 59 and got sleeved!!!!!????

Happy Surgiversary!!! You give us all hope I am 2 years out and have loved every bit of the journey. I was diagnosed with Cancer and it has set me back a bit but I am back on here looking for help and encouragement. You are amazing thanks for sharing

@ Jintycb...thanks for the wonderful update on your life...and congratulations on your sleeve! My first year was surreal for sure. My blog is just a few chapters that I took from the book, but my book is a week by week account of my first year...in some ways I sort of miss that exciting time in my life. But look at us!!!! At our age and feeling so fabulous.

@ Ginamaria....I am so sorry for your diagnosis; good for you for coming here because support is what it's all about and I know you will find it here. You sound like a very positive upbeat person and I have a feeling you will be able to add the well-earned title of SURVIVOR to your list of accomplishments. I must say though reading your post validated one more time that we all need to live life to the fullest EVERY SINGLE DAY because you never know when it will change.

I know I am.

Thank you both for writing to me. It means a lot.

Thanks for the kind response looking to make friends that understand my issues. I want so badly to get back on track

Thanks b-Ed57! Very excited for you! An entire new life awaits you!

November 19 for me. 2.5 more "pre-op" days and then onto surgery.

Just delving into your story. Very inspirational indeed!