Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 42 and had the sleeve July 2014 with no complications what soever. I'm so happy for having it done. My starting wt was 243 and now am 180. I still have some to lose but have gotten off diabetes, cholesterol, and blood pressure meds.

However, I kept on my 23 year old daughter to do whatever it takes to hurry and get the surgery done because she wouldn't regret it. Well she had surgery October 21st 2015 and was in hospital for 2 days then sent home like normal. So we thought. She went back to hospital then released. Then was in a lot of pain, went back to ER and Dr. Admitted her and her bariatric Dr. Said he wasn't releasing her until she was better.

She was in so much pain and had a hard time getting up to walk. The nurses and intern Dr. Kept pushing her to get up and kept telling her she needs to push through it. My daughter kept telling them she had pain, her heart rate was elevated in the 140's and she had a pinching pain in her lungs when she would breath in. Also constant pain in her left shoulder.

Well come to find out she had a small leak.

The moved he to the DOU dept. (Direct observation unit) which is a step down from ICU.

higher up near esophogus area. They had to go in again and do surgery, they we're unable to repair so inserted a tube.

After this a week passed and she still had a leak.

My daughter is to this day still in hospital and it's been a Lil over 4 weeks. They finally put in a stent this past Wednesday and she's been in pain since.

So it doesn't matter who you are or how old u are and how well u take care of yourself pre-op. It all is a serious risk u take having this surgery. Not to mention, I have a grand-daughter who has not seen her mommy in over 4 weeks. The hospital doesn't allow children in unless they are over 13 years old. That's sad so she's been with me the whole time. Grammy to the rescue. I also have an 11 year old so this not just affect ts my daughter in the hospital but it,allowffects the whole family.

Sorry to hear that. I hope they get her all fixed up so she can move past this and be with those babies! Sending prayers her way.

I'm so sorry your family is going through this. It sounds like your daughter's surgeon is taking good care of her. I hope your daughter improves and gets to come home soon and put all of this behind her.

Please do. If you would like prayer, please let me know. You can PM me. I'd even be happy to ask on my church prayer chain for you. They don't need full names or anything. They do keep stuff confidential, and I can attest to that.

I'm so sorry this happened but at least it sounds like she has a decent doc. There are many who aren't.

Sending prayers her way. There is nothing worse than when your child is sick- even if she is an adult!!! My heart goes out to you all.

Swimbikerun we could use all the prayers we can get. Her doctor is on it and has been there for her. Yes I would say a very decent doctor.

If things go good my daughter will going home this week.

I am 44 and had a sleeve done in Late March. The staple gun failed and left a thumbnail sized hole in my stomach. It wasn't diagnosed for a week and a half. By that time I was septic, had a 9cm abscess and went into kidney failure. I was in ICU for 6 weeks and step down for a week. I went on dialysis while in the ICU. I spent the next five months with a drain bag in my ribs and a picc line in my left arm for nightly TPN. The leak never healed and I had a total gastrectomy four weeks ago. I am still recovering from that but doing better. I eat soft foods and liquids and get nightly Protein feeds in my jtube in my belly. I have a ways to go but on the road to recovery. My point in all that is the road may be rough but there is hope always.

I am very sorry to hear about your daughter and the other unfortunate problems that occurred postop. OMG. I know God is able to bring us all through to a complete recovery and a thinner healthier life. I just completed the physic eval this past Monday. So, if I'm deemed stable enough, I guess I'll be getting a date really soon. I'm looking forward to becoming a healthier me, but I don't mind telling you I need your prayers for strength and courage.

Let's keep praying for the success of the entire Bariatric (Sleeve) process and all who are depending on healthy outcomes. Pray for the doctors and the medical staff and the hospitals that they are all what they need to be in order for us to obtain the best and healthiest outcomes that we and our loved ones are seeking.

How is your daughter doing? This is so ironic, I am going through the exact same thing right now with my daughter. She is 20, I am 43. I have a sleeve done with zero problems, she had a sleeve done the end of September and has been hospitalized twice since then, and is home now on a TPN and has an open leak that has not healed. It is a living nightmare, and I feel so terrible that I helped and encouraged her to do this. I hope this is over soon! Maybe we should compare notes ..?

My daughter is home, she still has the stent implaced for another 3 or so weeks. She is always complaining g of being in so much pain and is always nausiated. She also has a drain in her stomach that hopefully will b removed this week. On Clear liquids still.

It is so terrible, she is severely depressed, I'm am unable to work and my granddaughters 2nd b day is tomorrow and my daughter is out of it physically and mentally...

My heart aches for you. I had problems after the surgery in other ways. :( I can so feel for you, your daughter and granddaughter too. Is there anything they can do to help her? Imagery or anything?

My daughter is going through this right now!! She is 29 years old

And is married with 2 small children. She had the Gastric Sleeve on Sept. 8, 2016. She has spent 48 days total in the hospital. Her doctor takes NO responsibility. She has a new doctor that is trying to get her well. She has had 3 leaks and 2 stents. She was in so much pain. It has been terrible!! She has been in feeding tube, TPN, several drains for infection. Our family has been taking care of her small children because she is unable. This has been such a nightmare. I hope you are doing okay now.

Hi!

I was reading your post and I would like to know how your Dgtr is doing?!

I never done this before, not even doing reviews from any thing but I'm going through held with my Dgtr.

My Dgtr had surgery nov 7 2016, evethhing was fine. Dec 2 I brought her back to ER for pain and fever. She had a leak. Dec 2 surgery done, abdominal drain and peg tube inserted.

Dec 9 another surgery, , washout for peritonitis.

Dec 10 hemorrhage ... needed 10 units of blood in 3 hrs, ended up in lung and renal failure. In coma connected to ventilator ( artificial life) for 3 weeks.

Sooooo horrible. Dr's were thinking she will die any minute.

She was transferred to NY hospital, out of the ventilator 2 weeks ago.

We been in the hospital for 3 months. ICU and now regular floor.

She has s tuve in her nose, abd drain, wound back and the tPN , not eating or drinking , leak still there.

Planning to convert her to bypass but they can't do it now until the infection comes down and she recuperate... planning minimum 6 months to a year. She is only 19 years old and planning to stay for a whole year at the Hospital....

Pls help

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Oh my goodness. This is horrible. Please friend me on Facebook. I can private message you. My name is Laura Towell. I want to talk to you about this. I am so sorry.. my daughter was back in the hospital last week.