Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those are very sobering stories! I hope all the ladies are better now.

May God heal everyone going through a difficult time and may he heal there bodies from the top of their heads to the bottom of their feet. In Jesus mighty name

For those that have had leaks did your doctor just staple the incision on the stomach or did they take other precautions like stitching on top of the staples or gluing on top of them?
I've heard surgeons mention doing that so I'm wondering if that makes any difference.

🙏 hope all goes well

Hi!
I was reading your post and I would like to know how your Dgtr is doing?!
I never done this before, not even doing reviews from any thing but I'm going through held with my Dgtr.
My Dgtr had surgery nov 7 2016, evethhing was fine. Dec 2 I brought her back to ER for pain and fever. She had a leak. Dec 2 surgery done, abdominal drain and peg tube inserted.
Dec 9 another surgery, , washout for peritonitis.
Dec 10 hemorrhage ... needed 10 units of blood in 3 hrs, ended up in lung and renal failure. In coma connected to ventilator ( artificial life) for 3 weeks.
Sooooo horrible. Dr's were thinking she will die any minute.
She was transferred to NY hospital, out of the ventilator 2 weeks ago.
We been in the hospital for 3 months. ICU and now regular floor.
She has s tuve in her nose, abd drain, wound back and the tPN , not eating or drinking , leak still there.
Planning to convert her to bypass but they can't do it now until the infection comes down and she recuperate... planning minimum 6 months to a year. She is only 19 years old and planning to stay for a whole year at the Hospital....
Pls help
Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

19 is to young for this kind of surgery she's still a child

For those that have had leaks did your doctor just staple the incision on the stomach or did they take other precautions like stitching on top of the staples or gluing on top of them?
I've heard surgeons mention doing that so I'm wondering if that makes any difference.

My doc tried glue. It did nothing. He said stitching won't work. I had a drain for four months and then when it didn't heal they removed my stomach.

I am 44 and had a sleeve done in Late March. The staple gun failed and left a thumbnail sized hole in my stomach. It wasn't diagnosed for a week and a half. By that time I was septic, had a 9cm abscess and went into kidney failure. I was in ICU for 6 weeks and step down for a week. I went on dialysis while in the ICU. I spent the next five months with a drain bag in my ribs and a picc line in my left arm for nightly TPN. The leak never healed and I had a total gastrectomy four weeks ago. I am still recovering from that but doing better. I eat soft foods and liquids and get nightly Protein feeds in my jtube in my belly. I have a ways to go but on the road to recovery. My point in all that is the road may be rough but there is hope always.

Omg! What is a complete gastrectomy?? I feel so bad for you. When did you feel like something was wrong or what did it feel like? I got sleeved almost a month ago.

God bless everyone on this thread. There are so many heartbreaking stories. Sending prayers to help you and your loved ones heal. I just don't know what to say. 🙁

A complete gastrectomy is where they take the whole stomach out, connecting intestines directly to the esophagus.

Hi guys.

she is doing much better, from TPn to clear fluids. Now Protein Shakes. It looks that the leak closed itself.... still counting on God!

ill have my testimony on the church next Sunday cause she just saying a God miracle.

Omg! What is a complete gastrectomy?? I feel so bad for you. When did you feel like something was wrong or what did it feel like? I got sleeved almost a month ago.

As Christina noted it is the removal of the stomach and attachment of intestine to the esophagus. Known as a Total Gastrectomy or TG. That was 18 months ago. I am well now and leading a normal life. I had pain. Severe pain. Nothing helped. Trust me, if you had a leak for a month with no treatment, you would be dead.

On 4/12/2017 at 2:32 PM, NoMoreFatGuy said:

As Christina noted it is the removal of the stomach and attachment of intestine to the esophagus. Known as a Total Gastrectomy or TG. That was 18 months ago. I am well now and leading a normal life. I had pain. Severe pain. Nothing helped. Trust me, if you had a leak for a month with no treatment, you would be dead.

Are you able to eat now? Or do you have g-tube?

I will start prayers for everyone on this thread. My heart breaks for you and makes me feel lucky for the small complications I've had. [emoji738][emoji178][emoji738]

Please pray for me. I'm going in for another Upper GI. Pray there is no leak and I'm making progress.