Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband to Mini Gastric Bypass revision

Hi All, Trevor here from Australia

I had Lapland surgery in early 2010, I had good success with weight loss, but had lots of band complications, so I had a mini gastric bypass one week ago yesterday, currently I am not too heavy, I am weighing in at 112kgs (247lbs) just before the surgery last week, I had been down to 92 kgs (203lbs), I was at 104 kgs (224lbs) before the band was removed 3 months ago

I am looking forward to continuing the journey but with a different route

Registered here to listen to others experiences

@ _ welcome to the BP family!

2 weeks post op and I am back to when I had the band out, 104 kgs, pretty happy right now, but I have eaten bugger all :D

Hi All, Trevor here from Australia

I had Lapland surgery in early 2010, I had good success with weight loss, but had lots of band complications, so I had a mini gastric bypass one week ago yesterday, currently I am not too heavy, I am weighing in at 112kgs (247lbs) just before the surgery last week, I had been down to 92 kgs (203lbs), I was at 104 kgs (224lbs) before the band was removed 3 months ago

I am looking forward to continuing the journey but with a different route

Registered here to listen to others experiences

Hi, I've had the band removed 3 months ago and will be having the Omega Loop surgery mid Jan 16 so I'll be interested in seeing your continued progress. Removal of loop 110kilos Now 114. Trying to lose again before op in Jan. Eve

Hi all,

Yvonne (pinkydink) here in Australia.

Just to give you my background....I had a gastric band in 2009, which had to be removed in 2011 due to severe infection and erosion through my stomach wall. It was only in for 18 months in which time I only lost 12 kg, taking me down to 105kg. After the band was removed, try though I might, I could never crack the 100! (so basically, I ended up giving up)

I ate and drank my way to 130kg at Christmas 2014, when I knew something had to be done, as I had been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes to go with my already high blood pressure. I did some research on the internet, as over the years every time I dieted, I would lose and then put on more than I lost. I was always hungry and had no energy to exercise....

I ended up finding Dr Andreas Einfeldt (www.dietdoctor.com) from Sweden, then Professor Tim Noakes from South Africa and a new lifestyle eating plan called Low Carb High Fat. I did lots of reading about this way of eating and discovered lots of people who were doing very very well eating this way.

By eating LCHF (aka 'Banting' after Dr William Banting), I managed to lose 20kg, prior to my surgery on 16 September this year.

I weighed 108kg on surgery day, was in hospital for 3 days and, strangely, weighed 116kg on discharge (Great!.... another 8kg to lose!). I've just started week 7 and as of this morning weighed 99.5kg! YES!! I have broken the 100! There's no going back from here!

Cheers to all our success from here on in!

Trevor, I read your post and would have thought I wrote it! I too was banded in 2010, lost 50 lbs and had a series of complications including a second surgery to correct a band slippage. I am very disappointed as I gained back most of weight. Having loads of reflux when band is tightened so it has been loose for over a year now. Can you please tell me what a mini gastric bypass is?

Thanks.

Good luck :) Please keep us updated with your progress :) I am waiting for a date now :)

Hi all ,

Just registered on here , I am having Band to Mini bypass revision on Friday after 5 years of the hideous band and an absolute nightmare!

I am SO worried after reading some of the posts that the surgeon will say when I wake up that he couldn't do it due to scar tissue :-(

Is it more common than not for that to happen does anyone know ? Or not that often?

Thank you in advance :-)

Hi Trevor, I'm in Australia too, Adelaide,

My journey sounds almost the same as yours. My lap band 2009 but a variety of issues over the period with it. Had it removed 6 months ago and on Jan 19 I'm having an Omega Loop (single anastomosis gastric bypass). I got down to about 90k then regained to get to 115 now . So I'm on the prep diet now for two weeks until I go to hospital.

I wish you luck. Let me know how you are doing, Yours Eve

Hi, it doesn't look at as though this thread is used that much but I just thought I would add my storey. Like a couple of others on here I was banded in 2010 and managed to lose a lot of weight. I went from 115kg to 72kg. 2 years ago I needed to have some Fluid removed as a result of other health issues at that time and we never again were able to find the sweet spot and I have swung between being so tight I couldn't keep much down at all to having near no restriction. I am now at 95kg and climbing. I am having the mini bypass on the 4th March and I can't weight. I am sick of lugging around excess weight, not being able to feel confident in clothes and letting my weight effect my overall confidence. I have also just moved to Brisbane and finding the heat and humidity very difficult to cope with at this weight. Jus out of interest, how long was the hospital stay for those who have already had it?

Hey there! I recognize some of you I think from the FB group. I wish there was a little more regular action here as well though. I was a band patient, and then sleeve for a brief period of time then MGB last April in Mexico with Dr. Rodriguez. I've lost 31 lbs since then with about 10 more to go. I've been very happy. I had surgery Thursday night and flew home Saturday afternoon, I did develop post op pneumonia but other than that I've had no complications. I do spend A LOT of time in the bathroom, not sure if anyone else has that issue or not but I have to be super careful of what I eat because of it. Also, I'm wondering if anyone else ever gets the exact same "stuck" feeling they did with the band? I do at times if I eat too much or too fast and I would swear if I hadn't seen my own x-rays the band was still in there, it feels so much the same. Anyone else experience this?

Hi I was also revised to mgb from lapband. I love it also, and yes I do feel sometimes the food gets stuck when I eat to fast just like the band. I think it is the way they do the mgb to avoid cutting through any scars you might have had from the band.

It's 2 weeks yesterday since the operation. I spent 6 nights in hospital. This was my choice though. My dr was happy to let me stay the extra day. He usually says 4 -5 days.

I started a new post 'string' is that the word about Mind - Space and Freedom From. I'll try and find it and add it in. Basically it's about the fact that I had this moment - on the Wednesday a week after the operation and I'd been out of hospital only a day and a half - of elation - that I was free from thinking about food all the time, from the guilt of overeating to the shame of my size even though I had a 'good' front to fool people I was confident - even fooled myself some of the time.

Gastric band Dec 2009 128 Kilos

2012 Got down to 107 then had to have the port replaced due to a leak

Never really got it working again well.

Had suspected thyroid trouble - used homeopathy treatment - went down to 99 kilos. Went on grain free diet for a year, no milk. Got down to 89 kilos.

Last two years with no restriction in the band I had great difficulty getting food down - no cause found using gastroscopy

Had band removed July 2015. Had single anastomosis gastric sleeve with gastric bypass (Omega Loop)Jan 19, 2016.

Went into hospital at 114.8k now 108.8.

BUT AS I SAID BEFORE it's about the head space not continually thinking about food etc that has been the most amazing discovery!

Yours Eve

I'm considering having the mgb done after having my band removed due to complications and would love to hear about everyone's different journey.

Hi Trevor

My stats are so much like yours!

I was banded back in 2008 and had a dream run with my band until early this year

Banding start weight 154kg

Lowest band weight 92kg

Removed band in Aug at 104kg

Gained up to 112kg then started preop diet

Had Omega Loop at 107.4

I am 4 weeks po and sadly have stalled at 102kg (im still on soft diet till late Jan)

Please someone tell me this stall will end !!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App