Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a 23 year old teacher who decided to get sleeved. At first I researched it just out of curiosity, but then I became really interested. Well after months I finally got insurance approved and had the surgery(October 6th, 2015????)!! My biggest issue right now is telling people I know that I had it done. I am young so i hear a lot of "you could've lost the weight yourself" comments. I've been overweight my WHOLE life so they wouldnt begin to understand! Im so happy i made this decision even though im in the rough stage.

yep, i feel your pain. this is one ofmthose things you just keep close to the vest for the reason you described

Good for you! There will always be people who don't understand. That is normal and not your problem! You have gotten a tool that will help you improve your health. You did it for you and it does not matter what anybody else thinks. Congratulations and I hope you heal quickly.

Edited by LadyK44

I honestly kept it to myself for the majority of the people i know. I told 1 or two people and that was it. You have to get comfortable with it first before you can explain our tell people... Most people will be surprisingly understanding and supportive... The ones who aren't just X them out of your circle

Hi,

I too am a teacher in La. I was just wondering if you were on state insurance and how you got approved for surgery if you are?

Thanks so much and good luck!

I applaud you for taking action now.....during your youth.

I have a younger sister who had weight loss surgery at your age.....15 years ago.

She's been lean and healthy ever since and has led an active and rewarding life.

I waited until I was 47 and just had mine a few days after you did. I wished I'd have done it sooner. I did it on my own....lost heaps of weight.....only to regain it. This cycle has gone on for the last twenty years. The biggest chunk I got off was 120 pounds......felt like a rock star....began partying like one, too. Didn't maintain that weight loss, either.

Again, I applaud your doing this now....in your youth. There will be naysayers in your life......but you'll be fit, healthy and look it, too. Their voices will cease to be heard as you get into your new groove and stay there.

Much respect for what you've done. Go forth and rock LIFE.

I applaud you for taking action now.....during your youth.

I have a younger sister who had weight loss surgery at your age.....15 years ago.

She's been lean and healthy ever since and has led an active and rewarding life.

I waited until I was 47 and just had mine a few days after you did. I wished I'd have done it sooner. I did it on my own....lost heaps of weight.....only to regain it. This cycle has gone on for the last twenty years. The biggest chunk I got off was 120 pounds......felt like a rock star....began partying like one, too. Didn't maintain that weight loss, either.

Again, I applaud your doing this now....in your youth. There will be naysayers in your life......but you'll be fit, healthy and look it, too. Their voices will cease to be heard as you get into your new groove and stay there.

Much respect for what you've done. Go forth and rock LIFE.

Thank you for that! i too have experienced losing weight just to gain it back that's why im thankful to have this tool to finally help me maintain the weight!

Hi,

I too am a teacher in La. I was just wondering if you were on state insurance and how you got approved for surgery if you are?

Thanks so much and good luck!

My insurance is BCBS of texas, all i pretty much had to do was a psych evaluation it was a very easy process. I got approved because of my BMI, no health issues or anything. A few of my coworkers are with bcbs of Louisiana and they also had to do what i did.

& Thank you!

Hey! We had our birthday on the same date 10/6/2015! Congratulations on making a great decision to make you happy. It is rough right now. All I want to do is take one big bite of a Red Robin Burger! Lol. But.........it's all good. Weight before was 300 now 250! Feeling good looking good