Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble with intaking protein

So I had my surgery on the 5th of Oct. I'm 4 days out and I'm having a hard time with Protein Shakes, even sugar free popsicles and any broth. I'm just hungry, I wasn't hungry until yesterday.but I'm getting nervous about my Protein level anyone have any advice. I've tried Atkins, premier, and whey protein. I'm just ready for the pain to go away and to be able to eat some type of meat maybe some chicken or something.any advice is needed

I used "Muscle Milk Light" (vanilla creme) powder. I blended it with Water using a Ninja blender with a single serving cup. I never really liked any of the Protein shakes but the important thing is to find one that you can tolerate. So experiment until you find one that you can live with. It also helped to blend in a half a banana into the shake. It made it more edible.

The fair life milk is available at Kroger and Walmart and it is regular milk but ultra filtered so it had less sugars and very high in Protein for being just milk. You may want to try that if you can't do the Protein Shakes. Also there is Isopure drinks that are like high protein Gatorade. They are available at the Vitamin store or online at Amazon. Good luck to you.

I'm just going to keep bumping fairlife whenever I see it.

I LOVE FAIRLIFE MILK

The first five days are the hardest. It does get easier. Please do not try to eat meat yet. (Not saying you were going to but just offering a safety warning just in case.) Your stomach is healing and it just isn't ready. Take your pain med if you have pain. This is not the time to be a hero. Try an ice pack or heating pad on your stomach. It is comforting and does help. Above all, know that what you are feeling is totally normal. I think every one of us went through it. You just have to get through the first couple of weeks and then things ease up.

Follow your eating plan from your NUT. You probably won't be eating meat or chicken until 8 weeks, maybe more for chicken.

@meghanl Maybe this is what your NUT meant ... this is what I was given from my NUT at mayo. Hopefully this will help satiate you while letting your insides heal properly.

post-236324-0-02095100-1444536690_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-99549900-1444536696_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-30258900-1444536703_thumb.jpg

@meghanl So the "meat" is baby food or canned, thinned. I bought some chicken, turkey and beef baby food. I'm not going to lie, when I opened the first jar it made me want to gag. I stuck with the creamed Soups and relied on my Premier Protein shakes (30g) to get my 60g+ in per day. When my soft food stage began on day 15, I made my Magic Crust Quiche recipe and was in heaven. It's a favorite and remains a staple in my diet almost 6 months later. I'm able to get in 110-120g per day now and stay in the 800-850 calorie range. I go back to my NUT 10/27 for my 6 month post-op check. We'll see what she changes then :D

Edited by beachgal2935