Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LOW metabolism - sleeve or bypass

I don't know whether to do Sleeve or bypass. So I wanted your opinion.

I have a very low metabolic rate, confirmed on testing ... probably from years of yo-yo weight and dieting. I also have Hashimoto's/hypothyroidism. I have been on a very healthy diet for the last 5 years and eat only approximately 1200-1500 cal per day but I am still unable to lose weight with eating healthy food, supplements and that calorie level.

I really do want to do the sleeve surgery because I don't want to deal with problems with malabsorption. Have any of you had a low metabolic rate or hypothyroidism and experienced success with sleeve surgery? I am worried about getting sleeve surgery and not losing enough. I had the band for 8 years but had it out because of all the problems. Now hoping the sleeve will work but not sure if I should be thinking about bypass.

Any opinions or experiences?

I can't confirm my metabolic rate, but I know I am on medication that slows my metabolism and I have a benign tumor that also impacts my metabolism and has side effect such as gigantism and obesity. The sleeve is working for me, but I lose best when I exercise regularly. I started at a really high weight, over 400 lbs and I have managed to lose over 100lbs in a year. Because of my food and medication allergies I wasn't interested in the rewiring or malabsorption that comes with the bypass.

ETA: I am also post menopausal. I went into instant menopause due to radical hysterectomy in my early 40's.

Sleeved on 8/17/15 i have both those with poly cystic ovarian disease. I also have celiac's disease. I had to go with the sleeve. I have lost 35 lbs total 50. I was afraid of the same thing do this and not lost weight!! But it's working I feel great. First time in 23 years I'm hopeful! Good luck

Edited by sshawk69

I was sleeved April 20. I have never been diagnosed with low metabolism, but I am sure I have one. Like most of us, my metabolism has been wrecked due to the disease of obesity.

Whichever procedure you choose, you will need to exercise. Even though your diet plays a large part of the weight loss, as my NUT pointed out, we can't expect to be healthy without exercise.

With significant metabolic problems, it is also worth checking out the duodenal switch (DS), which is a sleeve combined with a malabsorptive component somewhat similar to the bypass, though generally more effective. The bypass, with its' malabsorption, will give you an edge over the sleeve in losing, but sadly that caloric malabsorption dissipates after a year or two (though the nutrient malabsorption remains long term,) and you are still left with your metabolic problem while trying to maintain your loss, just as you are with the sleeve. Trying to maintain that loss on 1000 calories per day (or whatever your metabolism allows,) is a challenge for many which ultimately leads to significant regain.

The caloric malabsorption of the DS lasts for the long term, effectively resetting your metabolism back towards normal, which significantly aids in maintaining the loss. It is a more technically challenging procedure to perform, which is why many surgeons don't offer it, but it is well worth seeking out a surgeon with the appropriate skills and considering it.

I am 48, with PCOS, Insulin Resistance, and menopausal. My metabolism is not prime. I am losing slowly with the sleeve... very slowly. However, I am losing and NOT doing the slow gain. I never gained rapidly, but a pound or two added up gradually... and now I am losing gradually.

I feel like if I am losing, anyone can LOL.

@@bhopeful, I, too, have hypothyroidism and was very concerned about having this surgery and effectively losing weight. I also had the metabolic test done and was told if I eat under 1400 calories, I should lose weight.

I chose the sleeve.

My loss has been slow but fairly steady. After the fourth month, I started losing about 2-3 lbs a month and one month I lost just 1lb. Next week is my surgiversary and I will not be at my doctors goal-which is between 163-167.

I've come to terms with it. I'm committed to continuing on this journey and I know eventually I'll get there. I should add that I'm also in menopause.

I have no regrets choosing the sleeve.

Just my 2¢

I have Hashimoto's - don't forget it is an autoimmune disorder and a bit more than just hypothyroidism. Really, really sucks.

I have a low metabolism as well, and I went with a sleeve. I'm a slow loser, but I'm still losing eating around 1200-1400 calories a day. I keep my carbs around 80 grams a day, and I exercise about 5 times a week.

I've lost over 80 lbs in almost 10 months. I'm very, very happy and also pretty sure I'll continue to lose (slowly) over the next year as well, as I'm really getting the hang of the diet/exercise thing as well. :)

Oh! And the slow loss is just on the scale - I measure each month - hips, waist, chest, arms and thighs - and the months where I saw little to no movement on the scale, I saw fat melting away and muscle developing.

I'm hypothyroid and post menopause. I was skeptical I could lose weight with the sleeve but I've done very well. Steady losses and I've lost 63 lbs in 22 weeks. I find that keeping my carbs low helps me lose.

I to have thyroid issues and have for 30-40 years. My blood pressure never hit 100 until after i turned 40. My sleeve is my friend and although it is slow going but it is going. It's only a couple months but well worth having done.

I too have Hashimoto's. Prior to surgery I ate low calorie, approx. 1200-1400 calories a day and still weighed 271 pounds. I did a two week pre op liquid diet and only lost 4 pounds. So I was very skeptical that the sleeve would work for me.

Fast forward about seven months and I was down to 155. Now I am a year and four months post op and weigh 145. So it has worked for me.

I still eat low calorie even in my maintenance phase. I usually average around 900-1000/day with about 80-100 grams of Protein. I watch my carbs closely too.

Good luck in your decision!! Weight loss surgery is an amazing tool.

I had a total thyroidectomy due to graves disease, so am now hypothyroid. My thyroid surgery was a year before my bypass.

Not sure what my metabolic rate is, but I had bypass as soon as I could after my thyroid removal. I didn't want to start on a rollercoaster of fighting my weight and regulating my thyroid replacement. I'm pleased with my results so far.