Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op testing experience.

I finished up my pre-op testing today and thought I'd write something up to help others have some idea of what to expect.

Thankfully my surgeon's office does all the pre-op scheduling. I was asked to go NPO (no food/water/etc) after midnight and told to report to my hospital at 7:30am and that I would be having testing until about 10:30-11am. My nurse asked history questions, took vitals, and did an EKG. A nurse practicioner came in and completed my history and physical (which confused me, because this has now been done by my PCP, surgeon, and this NP). I had blood drawn for a CBC with diff, lipid profile, and probably a few others that I didn't catch when she rattled them off.

I was then walked down to another area of the hospital where they did a gallbladder ultrasound. This isn't bad at all, it just hurt a little when she had to press hard over my lowest rib. Once completed, I had a two-view chest x-ray done. Again, this is no big deal.

By far and away the worst part was the Upper GI. It wasn't -horrible-, certainly not the worst thing I've ever done, but -blech-! I was asked to swallow a med cup filled with baking soda crystals with a very small amount of Water. They taste terrible and the gassy feeling is immediate. (It's like being a kid with a vinegar/baking soda volcano...in your belly...). I was told to try not to belch and placed on a moving platform. They took pictures of my innards while I drank the most incredibly vile heavy chalky barium drink. It didn't so much have a flavor as a bizzare fake sweetness and it really stuck to my lips and mouth. They had me drink roughly 8oz of it, then I had to roll around on the table to coat my insides with it. It made me feel more than nauseous from all the gas and icky flavor. Then I had to drink about another four ounces of a thinner version of the same stuff. I pride myself on having a pretty strong stomach, but at the end I felt about two steps from losing it. Thankfully, once it was all over and I could get rid of the gassy feeling I felt better pretty much immediately. I was advised to drink lots and lots of water, barium can be binding.

Last step, with enough space in scheduling for lunch, was an appointment with a physical therapist. I'm lucky enough that I don't have any physical limitations right now in spite of my size. I was shown various exercises that are recommended for the first week or so after surgery and then ways to step it up every step of the way. I went into this feeling like physical therapy would be wasted on me, but honestly she taught me a few things. It was an hour well spent!

Ahh-- the upper GI. If you think the test is bad...just wait till later as the barium moves it way through your system It gave me the worst upset stomach and a white poop!

I didn't have to have an upper GI, my Dr. did an EGD, where they take a small camera down your esophagus and look around. It was super easy. :)

I didn't have to have an upper GI, my Dr. did an EGD, where they take a small camera down your esophagus and look around. It was super easy. :)

I'm actually not sure if that world have been better for me. I might just be a big baby, but the camera down my throat is an uncomfortable thought.

They give you good anesthesia to put scope down throat.I'm having mine next week.