Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you are too big to manage your period...

I have been over weight my entire life. consequently (or not, not sure), my periods have always been sporadic to non-existent. The last say seven years, I get a period maybe 2 times a year and it's for 2 days or so. I used to use tampons and it was no big deal. Honestly, I kinda liked not having to deal with it. :D I have always had the cramps and pms all year long though. :angry: So this last year as my weight hit an all time high, I can no longer maneuver enough to use a tampon. :unsure: But no biggie as I don't really get periods right? WRONG.... :blink: this last week has been interesting. Sooo, I am 8 days into my pre-op diet and the last 3 days my period has made an appearance. My period seems to not be leaving and I am using pads. problem is, my thighs are so close together that my pad which starts out as wide and a useful tool turns into this smashed-bunched-up-straw-like thing once I put on my underwear! Rendering it pretty in effective. :o I am not sure what to do! :( I have ruined a few pairs of pants already and am completely self conscious when i leave the house. Any suggestions?

I have been over weight my entire life. consequently (or not, not sure), my periods have always been sporadic to non-existent. The last say seven years, I get a period maybe 2 times a year and it's for 2 days or so. I used to use tampons and it was no big deal. Honestly, I kinda liked not having to deal with it. :D I have always had the cramps and pms all year long though. :angry:So this last year as my weight hit an all time high, I can no longer maneuver enough to use a tampon. :unsure:But no biggie as I don't really get periods right? WRONG.... :blink:this last week has been interesting. Sooo, I am 8 days into my pre-op diet and the last 3 days my period has made an appearance. My period seems to not be leaving and I am using pads. problem is, my thighs are so close together that my pad which starts out as wide and a useful tool turns into this smashed-bunched-up-straw-like thing once I put on my underwear! Rendering it pretty in effective. :oI am not sure what to do! :( I have ruined a few pairs of pants already and am completely self conscious when i leave the house. Any suggestions?

Always makes pads designed for larger women and they also have flaps that attach under the panties so they wrap all the way around.

They also just recently stated making disposable panties for your period...like adult diapers but for menstrual flow.

Platex makes "ultra" tampons.

The only things I could suggest would be to first talk to your doctor about your concerns. He/she may be able to offer some better advice.

I had an IUD put into place about 6 years ago and haven't had a period since post op then it lasted about 2 weeks. It was very light and I didn't need to use anything Tampon/Pad for it. You could check into and IUD.

Another suggestion would be to get a uterine ablation which is where they go in and burn off the uterine wall. This is also a form of sterilization so if you want to have children this would not be a good option.

The last option if none of the above work would be to look into Depends Undergarments. My mother in law wears them and I did too after I had my daughter. They are made now to not be noticeable under pants and worked very well.

And finally - I know it sucks now but think of it as a good sign. Your body is starting to respond to the Pre-op diet and get back to normal. It's not normal to not have a period without using some sort of birth control. This is a very good sign.

I can relate. I just came off of a period that started on September 1st! It stopped on Tuesday October 6th. I had the IUD which did not help me and after a year and a half had to have it removed.

After seeing Gyn on Monday they mentioned the ablation spoken above. However, surgery is not permissible until at least 6 weeks post op. Had bypass on 9/16.

So, for now I have a consult to discuss the procedure, but I am going to hold off for a bit. Hopefully, weight loss will regulate my menses and I will not need ANOTHER procedure.

As for your concern, I would try the always overnights - purple packaging. Put two on if needed. I empathize with you. Trust me though,if you wind up having your period when you go for surgery (like me), do not even flinch, the staff are so used to so much worse. They will not even care about dealing with it.

Hoping and praying something works for you.

Regards,

India

Get the super pads. The ones that say they are for overnight and wear 2 at a time. Make on overlap the other. Or wrap one around your underwear and put another the regular way. Have you tried insert the tampon by standing up, putting one leg on the toliet and inserting that way? I actually had really horrible periods years ago. I went from wearing a tampon and a overnight pad to using the Instead cup and a pad.

I'm happy to say after losing 85 pounds I can finally maneuver to properly insert and remove a tampon, so I know exactly what you are dealing with.

I was going to suggest trying to insert it while in a different position.

Worst case scenario you could try to put a small tampon between your labia next to your vagina, let the labia and your underwear hold it in place. It's not any more uncomfortable than a bunched up pad in my opinion, it will catch more blood too.

Can I just say I'm so happy I've had all that shit taken out and don't have to worry about that anymore?? :P

Can I just say I'm so happy I've had all that **** taken out and don't have to worry about that anymore?? :P

Yeah menopause is a good thing too LOL. I was midst consult on an ablation myself when I finally was done!

I had early onset menopause at 41 because I had uterine cancer & had to have a radical hysterectomy. While I don't miss my periods which were *really* out of whack, I HATED the hormonal changes that came with sudden onset menopause.

Don't feel bad. I can't wipe my own butt. I had to stop wearing tampons years ago.

Try peeing in a cup lol. It's so gross.

Oh as for pads. Use depends pads and/or underwear. Works fabulous!!

Edited by Tssiemer1

I can relate. I just came off of a period that started on September 1st! It stopped on Tuesday October 6th. I had the IUD which did not help me and after a year and a half had to have it removed.

After seeing Gyn on Monday they mentioned the ablation spoken above. However, surgery is not permissible until at least 6 weeks post op. Had bypass on 9/16.

So, for now I have a consult to discuss the procedure, but I am going to hold off for a bit. Hopefully, weight loss will regulate my menses and I will not need ANOTHER procedure.

As for your concern, I would try the always overnights - purple packaging. Put two on if needed. I empathize with you. Trust me though,if you wind up having your period when you go for surgery (like me), do not even flinch, the staff are so used to so much worse. They will not even care about dealing with it.

Hoping and praying something works for you.

Regards,

India

Thank you so much India! I WAS worried about what if I still have it during surgery, but you are right, they probably deal with way worse stuff.

Don't feel bad. I can't wipe my own butt. I had to stop wearing tampons years ago.

Try peeing in a cup lol. It's so gross.

Oh as for pads. Use depends pads and/or underwear. Works fabulous!!

I thought of depends, but have not seen any that would fit me yet. I can however help in the peeing in a cup department. Next time you have to do that, ask for a "hat". Not sure how it got it's name, but it sits on the toilet and collects the sample. then you can pour it into the sample cup. No mess, no fuss. I always tell them I have trouble guaging the right place to put it and end up missing the cup completely, because let's face it, sometimes I am jsut now brave enough to say "hey, i'm too big to put a cup between my legs dude!" here is a link so you can see what it looks like. I just googled urine sample hat and picked the first result.

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/kendall-specimen-collection-hat.html

Thank you so much ladies.... if anything, it's nice to know others have been in this situation. I already went to the store and purchased the overnights that were mentioned. But wouldn't you know it...now my period is GONE!!! It will show it's mischievous face again and I will be prepared... I hope.

Are you on birth control? If you use a Depo shot you no longer have periods. I've been on depo for 10 years and I never have a time of the month. I tend to use it more for that purpose than as actual birth control. If your doctor will prescribe it for you, it is one shot every three months, and no more female misery. I also don't get cramps or PMS.

Question - were you on the pill and had to stop taking it because your surgery is coming up?

I had the same issue during my preop diet and found out my hormones were all over the place because I had to stop taking the pill. Lets just say my period that month was the longest, most embarrassing two weeks of my life.

Since I've dropped the weight, my period has become much more manageable. I'm sure losing weight has had something to do with it.