Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I had my NUT and Psych appointments and all went well. Just a few things I am confused about. (granted I still have more research to do and my eating classes)

1. I hear all the time Protein, protein, protein, She was all about vegetables and fruits. For example said she doesn't like the bariatric portion plates as it is 1/2 protein and 1/4 starch, 1/4 vegs. She said go 1/2 vegs, 1/4 starch, 1/4 protein

2. She says only 1 shake per day and doc likes us on real food after 1 month of soft food

3. I only have a 24 hr liquid diet pre surgery - I see others have more

As far as shakes go what does everyone suggest? I will be reading up. Also what other things did you buy to make it easier that you feel were good? (i.e. portion plates, certain type of blender?)

Lastly a good friend of mine is a beachbody coach and promotes shakeology. NUT said it is ok but I reached out to friend and had such negative feedback about surgery (i.e. easy way out, loose skin (mind you a friend lost 200 lbs on his own still has skin issues!) :(. It is an old friend who we aren't as close - guess I reached out to try and get the bond back but it is what it is.... Don't care much for the shakes but thought it was an olive branch I guess - Just venting here!

1. I hear all the time Protein, Protein, protein, She was all about vegetables and fruits. For example said she doesn't like the bariatric portion plates as it is 1/2 protein and 1/4 starch, 1/4 vegs. She said go 1/2 vegs, 1/4 starch, 1/4 protein

are you asking what is a good pre op diet plan? 1/4 protein? After surgery, protein is your new best friend. Just trying to understand at what stage you are talking about here. IMHO, if she is talking about after surgery, she is literally going to have your with your hair falling out and losing your muscle mass.

Every plan is different, follow yours. My number one Protein drink is chocolate Premier. Love this stuff, taste like chocolat milk. I alway purchase premixed, never powder. Good Luck!

Agreed with above, one plan might work for you and not for another. If everything was so easy to follow no one would have issues with diets in the first place!

For instance, my Protein at the beginning was high, but my body just didn't take well to it as some; I've shifted to more veggies and fruits and it is just working for me. I was worried I wasn't eating the high levels of Protein, but I try to get all the recommend stuff from my NUT, 6 months post op I can't complain with the results.

Shakeology was horrible stuff, made my insides ache. I did Iconic shakes prior to surgery then switched to Premier after surgery because the sugar contents were lower. Both worked really well for me, I liked how Iconic made me, I felt no bloating and stayed satisfied, not to mention it tasted fantastic.

I have to imagine that she was talking strictly pre-op with the emphasis on veggies. I can't imagine ANY post-op plan that would allow 1/4 of your food to be starches! That's complete craziness!

While every plan is different and every nutritionist/surgeon has their own timelines for moving through the food stages, emphasis on Protein seems to be pretty across the board. It's true that most nutritionists and surgeons ultimately want you to get your Protein from real food instead of shakes, though it's common to have to rely on shakes in the early days post-op, since it's the best liquid source of protein. I moved away from shakes once I was on full solids, not only because I wanted to focus more on real food, but also because I found shakes didn't keep me full for long the way solid foods did. Now when I supplement protein, I use bars, not shakes.

When I WAS drinking shakes, I found the EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Controls Rich Dark chocolate to be my favorite ready-to-drink shake. They are available at my local Walmart and Target.

Today I had my NUT and Psych appointments and all went well. Just a few things I am confused about. (granted I still have more research to do and my eating classes)

1. I hear all the time Protein, Protein, protein, She was all about vegetables and fruits. For example said she doesn't like the bariatric portion plates as it is 1/2 protein and 1/4 starch, 1/4 vegs. She said go 1/2 vegs, 1/4 starch, 1/4 protein

2. She says only 1 shake per day and doc likes us on real food after 1 month of soft food

3. I only have a 24 hr liquid diet pre surgery - I see others have more

As far as shakes go what does everyone suggest? I will be reading up. Also what other things did you buy to make it easier that you feel were good? (i.e. portion plates, certain type of blender?)

Lastly a good friend of mine is a beachbody coach and promotes shakeology. NUT said it is ok but I reached out to friend and had such negative feedback about surgery (i.e. easy way out, loose skin (mind you a friend lost 200 lbs on his own still has skin issues!) :(. It is an old friend who we aren't as close - guess I reached out to try and get the bond back but it is what it is.... Don't care much for the shakes but thought it was an olive branch I guess - Just venting here!

Programs are different. I didn't have a pre-op diet other than the typical NPO 12/24 hours prior to surgery. It was recommended to increase protein and veg. So do not worry if you don't have a pre-op diet. Some of us don't.

It's also not uncommon for programs to recommend transitioning to real food as soon as possible. A year out I still start most days with a Protein Shake, but this was my habit pre-op. I make my own concoctions in the nutra bullet before I go to the gym. When I do supplement it's with Isopure unflavored powder. I'm vegetarian so most of my protein is from eggs, Beans and yogurt.

Shakes are a personal preference and taste. You have to consider whether you want powder or RTD, milk based or clear drinks. The major ones are Premier Protein, Isopure, Syntrac nectar and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.

I couldn't tolerate the powder Protein shakes for some reason. I finally settled on the Premier Protein ready made variety.

As for helpful purchases I bought a set of small plastic plates that I use religiously, to remind me how little my portions should be. And I love my Hydroflask. I fill it with Water and ice and that ice doesn't melt for about 24 hours. Love it!

Edited by The Post Op

Thanks all. Your right it may just be pre-op, I am sure I will have more info in the coming weeks :-)

I'm also not a fan of Shakeology. Not sure why everyone says how good it is, for me it was gross. Lol

Like everyone said, every plan is different. I didn't have a pre op diet, either. Clear liquids the day before, and nothing after midnight. I was thanking my lucky stars!

There is a bariatric clinic run by Dr Matthew Weiner in Michigan that emphasizes a more plant based diet after the initial few months of protien. He claims that although getting protien in the first few months after surgery is important, it's not as important afterwords. He believes eating more veggies and fruits are the key to keeping the weight off. Obviously his ideas are a little controversial, but his clinic is very well known and he has wonderful, informative videos on YouTube. I highly recommend them. I am leaning more towards that way of eating now, too.

Maybe your surgeon leans more toward a plant based diet, also?