Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Regained Weight! What Do I Do About It?

I've gained weight!!!!! What do I do about it?
Here's my plan to shed the pounds and get back on track!

I started 2015 weighing about 205 ~ 208lbs.
Now I've gained about 15lbs, as of September 2015.

I've had some life changes - new job, new relationship, going on more vacations.
All of which I've allowed to slowly get me away from the good habits I was practicing - that kept the weight off.
So here's my "adventure" in losing the weight I've regained.

I'm making it public for 2 reasons.
1) Watching my progress may help someone else.
2) It holds me accountable. Going public with my "adventure" in the Couch 2 5K jogging program worked for me. This should too! :-)

I'm going to be completely transparent and you will see how I deal with the things that are bound to get in the way.

I'll be posting video updates once a week to show my progress. Feel free to thumb them up or down. :-)
Get my free eBook - The Top 10 WLS Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

I've created a spreadsheet that has my daily weigh-ins, plus what I'm eating and when.<br />
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1byhGB7pGMnvS_0L0YtQmjq3bejBPaDESEQVuSibXksM/edit?usp=sharing
The Intro:

Week 01 Update

Week 02 Update:

Week 03 Update:
I had a long weekend of debauchery at the Texas Renaissance Festival.
Even walking 20 thousand steps was not enough to burn off all the calories I ate! :-(

You are wise to take this on directly and coming up with an accountability approach!

Your title is misleading. :P

I was going to tell you that you know what to do...but you beat me to the punch! Good luck on your journey back to mindful eating!

Thanks gowalking,

I have a plan, but I'm always open to new ideas. :-)

I'm sure others would like to hear your ideas too.

Because, what may work for me, may not fit the needs of someone else.

I was going to tell you that you know what to do...but you beat me to the punch! Good luck on your journey back to mindful eating!

I have noticed this to be a pattern with long term veterans (2-5 years out from surgery). Not significant gains, like 10-20 pounds.

Is this something I can expect after a certain amount of time post sleeve? Doesn't it seem the norm? And when DO you just chalk it up to normal adjustments in weight and OMG I NEED TO DO SOMETHING?

This interests me.....

In my case, it was a change in job and lifestyle that were the main factors.

#1 - I went from a job that allowed me to get off work early enough that I could walk for an hour each evening, to a job that barely allows me enough time to get home, check my email, eat and get to bed.

#2 - I went from being single to being in a relationship.

And she likes to eat food with more flavor (and more variety) and drink wine.

So, I kinda let myself start enjoying a bit more of the higher calorie foods and wine.

I've just allowed myself to get too complacent.

And I need to get back to my old habits of being more observant of what and how often I'm eating.

No snacking out of boredom, no eating out of habit.

Adjusting my caloric intake on my non-date nights to take in to account the extra calories I'm eating on date nights.

If I hadn't had those changes in my life, I'd still be eating the same foods and exercising like I was last year.

In my case, I became alarmed when I gained 5lbs and kept in on for months.

I got more worried when I gained 5 more.

When the extra weight went to 15lbs (11lbs now.... I've lost 4lbs) :-)

I decided it was time to take action before things got out of hand.

I have noticed this to be a pattern with long term veterans (2-5 years out from surgery). Not significant gains, like 10-20 pounds.

Is this something I can expect after a certain amount of time post sleeve? Doesn't it seem the norm? And when DO you just chalk it up to normal adjustments in weight and OMG I NEED TO DO SOMETHING?

This interests me.....

You not only identified a potential problem early on, but you've also spelled out how you're going to readjust your behavior to solve it. Sounds like you've got this well in hand. Kudos too for increasing the accountability by going public. Best wishes!

This interests me.....

For me it's +5 pounds outside my "happy place" I've been maintaining for about a year and 1/2. When that happens (and the 5+ has happened a couple times) I make small adjustments. Give up the latte. Quit the glass of wine with dinner, scale back lunch a bit. Quit the popcorn snack after dinner. Make sure I'm not slacking my workouts. For me, gain is usually about a bunch of small sloppy decisions catching up with me. I stay on the "cutting back" bandwagon until I'm back in my happy place. If I'm not headed in the right direction after a week I'll food journal till it comes off. If I have to journal these days, I'm most def having an "OMG you gotta get yourself in control" moment.

Thanks gowalking,

I have a plan, but I'm always open to new ideas. :-)

I'm sure others would like to hear your ideas too.

Because, what may work for me, may not fit the needs of someone else.

Accountability is a big part of it. I also am accountable by being here and posting about the struggles of maintenance. I too am in a relationship and that impacts just based on eating out more...and yes...the wine. I do many of the same things you do. The trick I'm sure is not throwing the baby out with the bath Water. Gaining a few does not mean gain a ton.

We can do this!!