Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Moment has arrived....

For those who have been following my husband's epic "adventure" with colon cancer, our "moment" has arrived.... Tomorrow is Dave's surgery, starting at 8am Pacific Time. I have successfully put 12lbs on that guy, and not gained any myself...now how did I do that???!!!! But the surgeon was very impressed!

This surgery should last anywhere from 5 to 12 hours, including the liquid radiation/swish phase. It will be a very long and challenging day for both of us, so I am asking for prayers - all are heard, all are answered, by our Almighty Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!!!! We pray for a successful surgery, with no complications or infections, complete eradication of all cancers, a speedy recovery, and a cancer-free future for this man who puts his life on the line everyday to save others.

I cannot thank you enough for your caring support through all of this, and tomorrow will be the end of a very long, scary road. After his surgery, the journey will take a different direction, and full remission is our goal!!! Even though Dave has many trials still ahead (recovery, followed by 6 more chemo treatments, and, of course, the unknown); the surgeon, oncologist, and Dave and I, have faith good results will come tomorrow. We take each day as it comes, and TRY not to borrow tomorrow's troubles, as God only equips us for THIS day.

And I have to say, with all of our dear friends (bariatric pals included!!!), tomorrow at 8am the heavens will be filled with awesome prayers for a dedicated soul, who has met this challenge with a smile on his face, compassion for our fellow cancer patient-friends, and a strong desire to go back to work and fulfill his dream of retiring (ALIVE and WELL) as a law enforcement officer.

Thank you. Thank you. I cannot say it enough. God bless you all for helping ME through this. My world would be MUCH harder without your support. I will fill you in on his recovery as we progress.

Love you all.....Jenifer

Sending enormous amounts of good karma your way, and lots of prayers and hugs !

Sending lots of prayers for you both! Asking for everything you need and strength for you as well. Sending tons of hugs and positive thoughts!

Prayers, hugs and well wishes coming!!!

Sending prayers and love your way! Godspeed!

Wishing you and Dave nothing but the best. You are in my thoughts alot my friend so make sure to take good care of yourself.

Liz

My thoughts are with you guys!!

@@CanyonBaby,

Will pray as you requested. I'm always up early so 6 am in MN I will be praying for you both and the best possible outcome. Hugs from the land of sky blue waters to you.

Lots of prayers for God to guide the surgeon's hands and for the recovery to be smooth and quick.

Prayers sent for both of you.

And so here I am, thanking ALL of you for your gracious support, prayers, and such caring hearts! Dave has successfully gone through his surgery, which lasted 6 hours (very short according to the surgeon). He actually had very little cancer, just where the tumor on the colon was, on two spots of the abdominal cavity wall, and POTENTIALLY on a couple of lymph nodes, which results of won't come back from pathology for a week or so. All in all, the doc said he did great, and he is, indeed, doing great!

Thanks to an epidural, he has no pain, but has tubes coming out from all angles. He will be in hospital for at least 10 days, and of course, that depends on a lot of things. So I ask for continued prayer, for a speedy recovery, no complications or infections, and the surgeon telling us Dave is in remission (PERMANENETLY!!!).

I cannot thank you enough, as usual, but I DO thank you. I wish I could hug each and every one of you, so instead, here's a virtual hug....HUG!!! I am so proud to know you all, and I hope we always keep in touch.

Now, back to the hospital for me, and tomorrow, 2 crazed pups will come home from the kennels to harass me. Ah, LIFE. Ain't it GREAT!!!!!

Love ya...Jenifer

So happy it went well. Prayers continue!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches