Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie: Nervous, excited, scared... CHECK!

I'm just starting the process, had my initial consult with my surgeon and NUT on 9/9/15(they're both great!) I am one of the lucky ones that has a 6 month SWL program to complete so I'm not where near knowing my surgery date. My mind is racing on so many topics, I don't even know where my focus should be! I'm worried about the insurance approval process the most. I know this post is kinda all over the place but that's how I feel! Anyway, I'm looking forward to picking the brains of those who've already been sleeved and hopefully meeting some newbies who are freaking out just starting the process like me! I'm so nervous I don't even know what to ask first! So..... Ill just say "Hi" to start!!!!! :blink: :blush: :P

Welcome to the journey. It's a great ride, there are many experienced, caring people here. My best piece of advice is:

1) Walk and get in the best shape you can going in

2) Get your emotional side in just as good of shape by using a cousoler or this book....http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-First-Aid-Kit-Practical/dp/0976852659/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1436729032&sr=8-13&keywords=bariatric+book

3) Be very selective in who you choose to tell. There are plenty of "experts" who have no idea just how safe and effective this surgery is

4) Look at the worst case scenarios and see if you can take it. Most of those who did not succeed are actually self destructive who think this tool is a magic wand.

I wish you much success as you begin this journey.

Thanks for replying!!! I've been doing so much research and surprisingly I'm not as scared of the actual surgery and recovery like most people. I've had two children by C-section after laboring so I'm not too scared of pain. I know it will be completely different though. There are some complications that freak me out, but for right now I guess they're not nagging on my mind. As I get closer to an actual surgery date I'll probably freak out though!

I guess I'm already being super selective about telling anyone which is why I'm hoping to meet people here that will understand what I'm going through! Nice to meet you OKCPirate and Thanks again for the reply!

Hi Vleigh, I'm just starting out too. My first appointment was in September- to meet the Bariatric doctor (not surgeon), had all my blood tests and scheduled my Nut, Exercise Physiologist and the Phycologist all for October 21st. From then I will schedule my monthly appts to get me to March 2016 (6months). I went last night for my scheduled Body Scan and Bone Density test and I meet the sleep Therapist on November 11th to determine if I need to take a sleep apnea test. I have been researching and reading all the posts/forums on this site and the information I have gathered thus far is AMAZING! Everyone here is so supportive and although each person has a separate, and unique journey, their results are all similarity amazing.

I'm from Michigan and have my surgery at Royal Oak Beaumont, although the my monthly appts are at Saint Clair Shores Beaumont because it is closer to my house/work (downtown Detroit for work). I'm in Law Enforcement and was referred to Doc Krause by a fellow worker. I too have concerns over insurance but I am remaining confident that they will cover me.

I am wondering however, if the doctor is going to use my starting BMI from September when we met or the next one in October when it's considered my first "official" appt. Any outlook on this would be greatly appreciated.

Would love to keep in touch during our journey since we have a similar timeline.

@@VLeigh - We all freak out ;-) It's OK, we are used to getting those posts. Heck, if I dig around I can find my freak out post. ;-) Usually happens a few days before. Post anyway. You will appreciate the encouragement and the support on the other side.

@@Kellyfitz4, HI! Nice to meet you! It seems like the insurance differences are what really freak me out. I've been asking so many questions, but in my case it seems I don't have to do the sleep study or other tests that many others have to do. I really hope the info I've gotten so far is accurate! I don't want to miss anything! I'm in Indiana and have Medicaid insurance. I just want to do everything right! Ready to get healthier and stay healthy.

@@OKCPirate, I can't lie, I tend to freak out about most things until I get all the info I need. Guess I'm a control freak that way! LOL!

Freaking out a little here too. My biggest anxiety is the surgery itself and the stay in facility. I've never had any surgeries before, never been put under before. I'm not so much worried about the pain, but just the entire experience.

@@OKCPirate Good advice to be selective about who you tell. There seems to be a lot of negativity, and its especially difficult at work where there is gossip.

I am brand new as well. I started this process months ago but only in August did I really pursue it. My surgeon has just sent all the paperwork to my insurance company for approval. I have done the psychological evaluation, nutritional consultation, and they had me do a sleep study (even though I've never had any issues with sleep apnea).

My biggest fear, honestly, is what my life will be like going forward. My weight has been something of a protective barrier to me, and I'm finally ready to get past it.

Are any of you all on the East Coast? My surgeon wasn't listed on this site, but the hospital is. I'm nervous that people will find out - right now only my husband, sister, mother-in-law, and mother know (I haven't even told my dad).

What kind of reactions did you get from people after losing weight? Did you lose any friendships or relationships because of the changes you made? Did some relationships get better? These are where my nerves get to me. I can handle the changes in diet, I just don't know what else to expect that is unrelated to food.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome! I've been in process for about 10 months and have my surgery date finally set for Dec 14! I was stalled by the need to get a hysterectomy for uterine cancer -it's all gone, thank goodness!

Going through the process is exciting and you'll learn so much!

@@Kellyfitz4, I'm having mine done at ROB, too. Dr. Chengelis. I go through Troy's weight loss center.

@@VLeigh I'm not brand new to this process but slightly new I have my second of 6 nutritional appointments next week the day after an unrelated surgery. And I've lost 8 pounds so far from my highest weight. Just by cutting out soda and cooking at home 1 meal a day. I would love to chat with you one on one since our surgery's are so close

@ Sure sounds like we are really close in time frame. My 2nd NUT appt is on 10/14 along with my psych eval! You can message me or chat or however this site works! I haven't spent much time figure this all out yet! :blush:

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie too. I've been researching and deciding on surgery for over a year now. I am fortunate enough to work in the same medical office as my surgeon so I've been able to see lots of success stories first hand. I only had to wait 3 months for my insurance coverage. (Fingers crossed today's submission is aporoved!) I have a tentative date of 10/21. I think the biggest thing I've been doing is a restricted diet of high Protein, low carb, small portions. I started that in June in hopes of preparing myself for the surgery. I'm happy to say I've lost 33 pounds so far. I hope to drop another 5 before surgery. I hope I've retrained my mind/body to not rely on food for comfort. I really want to achieve my goals after struggling so long. I know everyone can relate! If there are any October Sleevers, I'd love to connect. Support is super important!

@@VLeigh my nut appointment is also the 14th yay